Thread: code veronica 2nd disc not loading nulldc

Thanks
    EP Points

Default code veronica 2nd disc not loading nulldc

Hi there, I was thinking of putting this in comments/broken links but decided on here

The 2nd disc for code veronica does not want to load. Keep in mind the first disc was fine and played perfectly so I'm sure it's not an emulator issue. When loading the second disc whether from swap disc or just loading it straight off it just goes to the DC dashboard or when swapping says this is not the veronica 2nd disc. I've downloaded twice and tried in both nulldc 1.0.4 and 1.0.0 1.6beta.

heres the download link

http://www.emuparadise.me/Sega_Dream...E_Veronica/151

any ideas?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

try the second disc in chankast, that I know it should work (I'm not saying it will if there is an issue with the image)

I just know there have been players long in the past that played RECV0 with chankast because it has it's own issues that I fixed in the past by save hacking and that was on CD2 (It was actually the big with the Tiger Head puzzle and the gems for eyes)

If the disc does not boot then you know it's an issue with the disc image

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok thanks, I'll download chankast and copy my save over and give it a shot!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I don't know anything about DC emulation (or any emulation on PC for that matter), but I recently got into collecting DC game dumps and I've noticed that occasionally there may be issues with dumped images.
    Usually (if there's a problem) it means the selfboot image can be burned to disc and played on a DC console ok, but emulation isn't as straight forward.
    I think I've seen mention of at least one dump that would work with an emu, but didn't work properly on a console

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that GDI images can be used with nulldc (maybe someone else here like Zorlon could verify that), and because these images are basically unmolested (afaik) it'd probably be the best option for any serious issues you're having.
    Maybe it's just a matter of mounting the GDI with virtual drive software, I dunno.

I prefer to get my hands on the cleanest possible dumps of games...but that's just me

Shard (Mao-nax) and Gypsy would be the 2 members (that I know of) here that may be able to fix you up with GDI dumps.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I don't know anything about DC emulation (or any emulation on PC for that matter), but I recently got into collecting DC game dumps and I've noticed that occasionally there may be issues with dumped images.
    Usually (if there's a problem) it means the selfboot image can be burned to disc and played on a DC console ok, but emulation isn't as straight forward.
    I think I've seen mention of at least one dump that would work with an emu, but didn't work properly on a console

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that GDI images can be used with nulldc (maybe someone else here like Zorlon could verify that), and because these images are basically unmolested (afaik) it'd probably be the best option for any serious issues you're having.
    Maybe it's just a matter of mounting the GDI with virtual drive software, I dunno.

I prefer to get my hands on the cleanest possible dumps of games...but that's just me

Shard (Mao-nax) and Gypsy would be the 2 members (that I know of) here that may be able to fix you up with GDI dumps.
    It's just weird cuz the first disc worked beautifully. I'll give a try in chanka first and if it doesn't work then maybe contact Shard or Gypsy I don't think think there's an option to load from disc in nulldc besides I use poweriso and it doesn't like .cdi and don't care to try a different one as it works great for everything else I need it for.
    Last edited by captain handy; 15th-September-2012 at 09:40.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by captain handy View Post
    It's just weird cuz the first disc worked beautifully. I'll give a try in chanka first and if it doesn't work then maybe contact Shard or Gypsy I don't think think there's an option to load from disc in nulldc besides I use poweriso and it doesn't like .cdi and don't care to try a different one as it works great for everything else I need it for.

I'll quote some junk from a guide I was just looking at:
    NullDC 1.0.4 r136
    The currently supported image formats are the following:
    - CDI: Padus DiscJuggler image
    - MDS: Alcohol 120% Media Descriptor image (must be accompanied by a MDF file)
    - NRG: Nero Burning ROM image
    - GDI: Raw GDI dump
    - CH MAME's Compressed Hunk of Data

Loading a game:
    1. Click on File > Normal Boot.
    2. Click on the [...] button, look for your game in one of the supported formats, select it and click Open.
    3. That's it, your game should now be loaded and you can now start playing!

Multi disc games:
    Some games will have more than one disc. The perfect example is Shenmue, which has 3 discs.
    Once you complete the first disc, the game console will ask you to change discs to continue your game.
    To do so, simply go to Options > GDRom > Swap Disc.
    You will then be prompted for a disc image, click on [...], find and select the next disc, and then click Open.
    Like I said, I really don't know about emu's
    But from what I understand people have used GDI images...and they're the cleanest dumps afaik.
    Most of the other image types have possibly been messed with in some way.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I'll quote some junk from a guide I was just looking at:

Like I said, I really don't know about emu's
    But from what I understand people have used GDI images...and they're the cleanest dumps afaik.
    Most of the other image types have possibly been messed with in some way.
    And yet you're a mod on an emulation site I know, I know.

yeah the stuff in that quote is just pretty much normal loading procedure good to know I could load a gdi though.

I don't think you even have to choose swap disc if you didn't want to as the game saves right between (like the ff games on epsxe) just saves a second or 2 i guess

Welp, turns out you have to mount for chankast and grabbed dtools lite and same thing (tried the first disc and it worked) but yeah the second disc still just won't load. Super crazy graphics glitches though, but I would have dealt with that myself if the 2nd disc loaded.

I'll try to find another second disc I guess, there isn't any others on the main site except pal and I'm guessing I couldn't switch from ntsc-u (save file)? Does region even matter with the Dreamcast?

So I'll contact one of those 2 guys you mentioned and maybe the would be nice and give me a link.

Thanks
    EP Points

And yet you're a mod on an emulation site I know, I know.
    I play games on consoles, the only emu's I use are on my original Xbox console

Super crazy graphics glitches though, but I would have dealt with that myself if the 2nd disc loaded.

I'll try to find another second disc I guess, there isn't any others on the main site except pal and I'm guessing I couldn't switch from ntsc-u (save file)? Does region even matter with the Dreamcast?

So I'll contact one of those 2 guys you mentioned and maybe the would be nice and give me a link.
    Dunno about different region save files working...the emu bios would probably have to be different to run the different region.

I don't think ReviveDC have done a release of this game yet, which is a pity because if they had it might work for you, and it'd likely be NTSC-U.

I still think a GDI dump is the thing you should try though (I'll be pretty surprised if Shard/Gypsy don't have the NTSC-U version)...but you could always keep trying various NTSC-U .cdi dumps until you get one that works.

Thanks
    EP Points

I had the exactly same problem with this game a year ago. I tried everything out without success until I downloaded the second disk from a different source and it worked like a charm.

tldr; the image is faulty and thus will not run on nullDC no matter what. At least that was my own experience.

If you want to know the link to a working copy, you can pm me. I won't post it here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIERSeeD View Post
    I had the exactly same problem with this game a year ago. I tried everything out without success until I downloaded the second disk from a different source and it worked like a charm.

tldr; the image is faulty and thus will not run on nullDC no matter what. At least that was my own experience.

If you want to know the link to a working copy, you can pm me. I won't post it here.
    PM sent!

Yeah they should probably fix that, the only conclusion I can come to after all this is it is a bad\corrupted image.

When I get the 2nd disc I'd be happy to zip it up with the first and upload here

edit: well that link didn't work but thanks anyway!!! I found it somewhere else and it works fine, I'll upload it tonight.
    Last edited by captain handy; 15th-September-2012 at 17:35.

Thanks
    EP Points

Awww, so it didn't work? :/ What a shame but it's been too long ago so I may mixed up the source. But glad to hear that you found a working image.

BTW, now that it is proven that the image on the main site is faulty, wouldn't it been better to replace that file? I mean, files uploaded to hosting sites tend to get deleted after some time... so having the working file up on EP's main server would ensure it stays available.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIERSeeD View Post
    Awww, so it didn't work? :/ What a shame but it's been too long ago so I may mixed up the source. But glad to hear that you found a working image.

BTW, now that it is proven that the image on the main site is faulty, wouldn't it been better to replace that file? I mean, files uploaded to hosting sites tend to get deleted after some time... so having the working file up on EP's main server would ensure it stays available.

Yeah it kept timing out. No biggie, lotsa place to download things.

And it is a relatively popular game. Well they can always download it when I up it and replace it if they wish.