Thread: What emulators allow for stable netplay?

Thanks

Default What emulators allow for stable netplay?

What emulators or third party plug-ins allow for netplay? The only ones I know of are for the N64 and also the Zbattle.net for ZSNES, but are there others?

I wanted to play Genesis or Master System with a friend but I don't think there are any emulators that support that?

Thanks

GENS is a genesis/segaCD/32x emulator that supports netplay through kaillera.

For other systems, I know of a kaillera plugin for ePSXe and Kawaks (possible Nebula as well) also does netplay. There was a network-capable port of MAME, but its old and very poorly written.

Kaillera.com used to maintain a list of emulators that use their network setup. They might be worth checking out.

I dont know of any Master System emulators that handle netplay, but I'll leave confirmation for someone with more experience in dealing with that system.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 17th-January-2006 at 10:47.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Genesis/Megadrive + Sega/Mega CD + 32X + Sega/Mega CD-32X + Master System + Game Gear = Kega Fusion that has Net Play support (Can't say I have tried netplay with it though so I don't know if it actualy covers all those systems in net play mode)

Edit it does support all those systems through Net Play but I would Guess that 32X, CD & CD-32X may have lag problems through Net Play

Kega Fusion is the Sega emu master and puts Gens to shame nower days

SNES ZSNES has 2 methods of Netplay one with an external prog the other is internal Snes9x has Netplay also (Kaillera?)

NES FCE Ultra has Netplay

N64 Project64k is an old Kaillera project

Playstation there are Pad projects that are Net active so both ends detect the other players pad presses some of these can actually be used with any emulator so they are not restricted to just PSX emulation (I can't imagine this method being all that stable specially for games with an element of randomness)

Neo Geo Kawaks as stated before

If you look around there are a few ports with k on the end and that usually = a Kaillera project, too many misc ones there are just tons but they take some finding sometimes as alot of them are private builds
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-January-2006 at 13:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Super Nintendo netplay - Here's a link to a tutorial for ZSNES Netplay: http://forums.emuparadise.org/showpo...87&postcount=1 written by austinsanity. Hope that helps!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Zbattle.net works for justin138 with ZSNES so no need to run through the ZSNES internal method

Still... not a bad guide from austinsanity
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-January-2006 at 11:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon
    I can't imagine this method being all that stable specially for games with an element of randomness
    I'm about sure it wouldn't detect properly a fast made combo on MvsC or some button mashing on Mario Party.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    I'm about sure it wouldn't detect properly a fast made combo on MvsC or some button mashing on Mario Party.
    Everyone wins that way though LOL

PC1 Yay I won I kicked your ass PC2

PC2 Yay I won I kicked your ass PC1

Both huh!!!, yeah I can't see it being great for those either, atleast for the other method if it lags it's the ingame lags it does that for everyone so it evens out in the end

I forgot that GBA has an online play active emu aswell (I can't remember what one has the online multiplay though)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-January-2006 at 14:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

VBALink can do networked play, but it doesnt support GBC or earlier games (or all GBA games for that matter), an I'm not certain of its performance over the net.

I could have sworn that there were GBC emulators capable of linkplay, but I cant remember any of them.

Thanks

Great info.

Thanks, everyone!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by generic insanit
    VBALink can do networked play, but it doesnt support GBC or earlier games (or all GBA games for that matter), an I'm not certain of its performance over the net.

I could have sworn that there were GBC emulators capable of linkplay, but I cant remember any of them.
    There are yes but not sure if they support Net Play or not (Think atleast one did have)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]