Thread: connectix vgs problems

Thanks
    EP Points

Default connectix vgs problems

recently whenever i have tried to run CVGS, the screen will flash black for a moment as if CVGS was going to load, but then it just goes back to the normal desktop screen with any windows that were still up. ive tried redownloading CVGS and that did not work. i don't understand why its not working just because it is so random. any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Are you trying to play real CD's or ISO's mounted to a virtual drive?

Which virtual drive program are you using? (Alcohol 120, Daemon Tools...if you're using one)

If it's Daemon Tools, which version? (should be 3.47--best one for PSX emulation)

If you're using a virtual drive, then do you have any CD's in any drives?

What resolution is your comp set to? (640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, something else?)

What are your comp's specs?

Thanks
    EP Points

cd right now, although ive played both.
    daemon tools. ill have to check the version, but im trying to play a cd currently
    i have a virtual drive, but nothing is in there
    1024 X 768
    hmm they suck but....windows 98, pentium III, 95 mb ram, some crappy intel graphics card, thats all i know from memory so id have to check the rest later

the thing is that no matter if a game is loaded or not, CVGS can still open. if you open it with nothing in your disc drive or mounted on daemon tools, it will still load. it will say "Please insert game disc", although all of CVGS' functions are still accessible. whether a game is loaded does not make a difference.

Thanks
    EP Points

Try changing your comp's resolution to 800 x 600, or 640 x 480 and see if it works.

EDIT--
    Found a patch that allows you to use 1024 x 768, but I don't know if your copy of VGS is already patched with this.
    *updated* VGS Video Patch XP 1.3 - August 21, 2003 by aldo
    This multi-patch for the Playstation emulator Connectix VGS, enables the emulator to play games at resolutions of 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864, 1280x1024 and 1600x1200, maintaining the game graphics at 640x480 (resulting in a visually less pixelated graphics). The games can play also in high resolution at full screen with certain impact in performance.

The video patch provides other useful patches like: daNIL's fix that makes VGS playable on Pentium 4 and SaPu's fix that makes VGS playable under Windows 2000 and XP. Other available patches include: Final Fantasy 9 fix and ModChip patch to allow the use of CD-R backups.
    http://www.aldostools.com/patches.html
    Last edited by SegNin; 11th-January-2006 at 21:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

changing my resolution did not help and the patch did not fix the problem either. i remembered that i might have had this problem before and i that i may have posted here about it. i searched and found it, although i never found a solution to the probelm by any of the suggestions in that thread. this makes me wonder how exactly i rid this problem last time. anyway, any other help would still be appreciated.

Thanks
    EP Points

Only thing I can think of is that your ASPI is fuxxored.

http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

Because VGS really doesn't have any settings that you can mess up
    Because it doesn't really have any settings.

You just install it and go.

So if there's a problem it's probably with you CD drive or CD-ROM drivers (ASPI).

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Also have a play with your desktop res try setting the color mode to 16 bit though it should work in 32 bit mode just fine normally

You may also need to remove your old vgs temp file (I'll dig out what that file is called later I forgot what it's called at the moment)

even if cvgs itself got corrupt somehow redownloading/installing doesn't help as that isn't realy what is run after the first run, the prog running is actually stored in a temp folder, the main exe just extracts it if it's not there

Edit:- the temp file is called tnkXfs.dat use Start -> Search to find it, then delete it, the main exe for vgs will recreate it anyway
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-January-2006 at 15:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

segnin, i tried your suggestion and it did not work. as i said before, cvgs has no correlation to the disc drive. if the disc drive was not working properly, cvgs would still load, it would just not run games in the disc drive.

zorlon, my pc is already in 16 bit color mode. i searched for that file and nothing came up.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by artist088
    segnin, i tried your suggestion and it did not work. as i said before, cvgs has no correlation to the disc drive. if the disc drive was not working properly, cvgs would still load, it would just not run games in the disc drive.

zorlon, my pc is already in 16 bit color mode. i searched for that file and nothing came up.
    Set it to 32 bit then

It's in the C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Temp folder

* depends on far to much \Administrator for me

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I went back and read your first post more carefully--now I understand what you meant about the black screen; not that CVGS starts, then when you try to play the game you get a black screen, but that CVGS doesn't start at all.

OK, well, I found some info here:

Try uninstalling vgs, deleting the vgs folder, deleting the vgs registry entries and reinstalling.

If you are using large fonts, vgs won't work.
    http://forums.techguy.org/games/1398...connectix.html

Thanks
    EP Points

zorlon, i can not set to 32 bit. my full range of options excluding 16 bit are:
    16 Colors
    256 Colors
    True Color (24)

i also found that file by manually searching around where you stated it was located. i found it and deleted it but it did not fix the problem.

segnin, how do you delete the registry entries?

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't have 32 bit as an option either (see pic)

As for the registry, I've googled and googled and come up with bupkus.
    I alsao tried searching through my registry for CVGS entries and found nothing.

I'm beginning to think whoever gave that advice about deleting the registry entries didn't know that CVGS made use of the registry but only assumed that it did.

Maybe I'm wrong...and it's only because CVGS was discontinued and is now outdated so whatever info about the registry that was on the 'net is now long gone.

btw, is there any reason why you can't use ePSXe or PSXeven or AdriPSX instead?

EDIT--Regedit is poo.
    It found nothing.

So, I dug out my copy of RegSupremePro and it found CVGS entries in seconds. (see other pic)

Of course the pro version costs money, but maybe this free version will work for you:
    http://www.webmasterfree.com/regcleaner.html
    Last edited by SegNin; 7th-January-2007 at 08:54.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin
    btw, is there any reason why you can't use ePSXe or PSXeven or AdriPSX instead?
    There are still many psx games out there that only VGS can run properly or at all compared to the others

Did you try Emurayden? I heard it's a VGS hack of some sort
    Give me what I want or face destruction........IN JAPANESE!