Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap Magic Dual Layer Question

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Swap Magic Dual Layer Question

I'm about to purchase a dual layered burner (not just for dual layers, mainly because my burner sucks and it's only dvd+r) and I need to know if Swap Magic 3.6 can actually boot a dual layered (DVD-9) disc. I've heard that older versions cannot do this - anyone know if 3.6 will? Thanks!

Thanks

no it cant. i've tried and failed. you need a mod chip to actually get them running.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, that figures - I knew swap magic was a bad investment. Can't play PS1 games, can't run dual layered games, and more often than not, the game's skip or take extra long to load. Oh well - shit happens.

Thanks

You know that the skipping and slow load times are caused by poor media/burn conditions, right? You would get the same results with a chip.

Thanks

yeah. get verbatim dvd-r and burn at 4x with dvd decrypter. works like a charm.

Thanks

Ritek Ridata DVDs can be found at Newegg for 30 bucks a 100pc spindle. Just as good quality too.

Thanks
    EP Points

What are some other discs I could use? I actually ordered ritek discs from new egg a while back, and they actually lost my order. Never got charged or anything, but I lost my confidence in them. Besides, I need some discs pronto, I don't feel like waiting for a mail order company right now. I can't get verbatims anywhere around here for some reason - no one seems to sell them in my area. What are other decent discs?

Thanks

Well, it is pretty limited. Verbatims sell for 50 bucks a 100pc spindle in stores. The best place to get DVD media is online. And as far as Newegg losing your order, I would give them another shot. They have very fast shipping for good prices.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD-9 and over sized DVD-5 discs can be ripped to work directly with Swop Magic, plus with Swop Magic you can still play online games as there isn't a mod chip to detect.

I only burn onto RITEKG05 disc's though they are labled Datawrite Blue (V5).

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm definately gonna order some riteks because I know they are the best, I just wanted to grab something for filler time right now - to put it bluntly i was playing god of war, the game ran fine until close to the end, and a certain cutscene has such a quick transition that it locks up everytime because the laser just can't read the track. That prompted me to get a new drive because I had been needing one anyway - not to mention several other games I have all have audio skipping issues and it's driving me insane. I know verbatims would be good to hold me over temporarily, but in my area no one sells them. Our best buy is new, and they have a pretty weak dvd-r section, and the circuit city we have only has the verbatim dual layered discs (yay for lousy central illinois) - so I'm pretty much SOL. Anyway, would a sony dvd-r disc do me some good? I hate memorex, as I have never had much luck with them, and other than that I can't think of many other discs sold in the area other than the cheap ass store named discs or imation or HP.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon
    DVD-9 and over sized DVD-5 discs can be ripped to work directly with Swop Magic, plus with Swop Magic you can still play online games as there isn't a mod chip to detect.

I only burn onto RITEKG05 disc's though they are labled Datawrite Blue (V5).
    Yeah, just to clarify this; you cannot play back-ups online. When he says you can play games online, he means originals only.

Also, if any of you are interested in getting a mod-chip, the DMS4 does allow you to switch the mod-chip off so that you can play your originals online.

Thanks

I was actually extremely gutted when I bought my SwapMagic 3.6Plus... the website advertises the disks as being able to launch PSX games (which is really what I wanted it for mainly.. no dvdburner = no decent PS2 games)

Imagine how crushed I was when I found out they don't work? =(
    Now hearing that the disks don't even run DVD9 games.. *sigh* not fun.

Anyhow, you can play backups online. My flatmate plays Capcom's Monster Hunter online all the time, and that's a backup =\

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sabin1981
    I was actually extremely gutted when I bought my SwapMagic 3.6Plus... the website advertises the disks as being able to launch PSX games (which is really what I wanted it for mainly.. no dvdburner = no decent PS2 games)

Imagine how crushed I was when I found out they don't work? =(
    Now hearing that the disks don't even run DVD9 games.. *sigh* not fun.

Anyhow, you can play backups online. My flatmate plays Capcom's Monster Hunter online all the time, and that's a backup =\
    haha - sorry to laugh but i was under the same impression when I bought my swap magic as well - i was pretty pissed. However, I have a dvd burner so it wasn't too big a deal, but if you want to pay your ps1 games, just get an action replay off amazon. I got mine for $5.63, and that was with shipping.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion
    Yeah, just to clarify this; you cannot play back-ups online. When he says you can play games online, he means originals only.

Also, if any of you are interested in getting a mod-chip, the DMS4 does allow you to switch the mod-chip off so that you can play your originals online.
    I play backups online

but yeah you can't play any game online if you have a mod chip active but because the swop magic is not a mod chip you can indeed play backup online games, online

Quote Originally Posted by sabin1981
    What web site said that, the official one doesn't and never has stated that?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-August-2005 at 16:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally Posted by sabin1981
    I don't think it actually says anything about booting PS1 games, but I think what mislead him was the same thing that misled me - it says you can boot CD-R's, which in my haste I just took that as the ability to boot PS1 games. I totally didn't even think about the fact that a lot of early PS2 games were still on standard CD's.

But as for playing backups online, I know you can atleast with Swap because if you go to MegaGames.com they have a whole slew of patches that you can mix with your ripped game that fix the whole online thing.