Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EMulation Controls...

Thanks

Default EMulation Controls...

Is it better to usae keyboard or get a gamepad for playing with emulation... or is it just personal preference?? Also what gamepad should i get if i get one??

Thanks
    EP Points

Get an original PSX controller with an USB converter if you can, it's real good for playing ePSXe.
    The keyboard doesn't always register two or three simultaneous keystrokes, so you could be in trouble when you need to press more than two buttons at once.

Thanks

hmmm what if i want to play nes or snes tho

Thanks
    EP Points

It'll still be fine because you have the same basic pad/button layout. I second what pkt-zer0 suggested, but if you don't already have a PlayStation controller then it may be cheaper to just look for a PlayStation style controller that plugs straight into the USB port.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A PSX to PC converter will work not just with PSX emulation but it will work with anything that uses a joypad/joystick controler.

Even if you have games that can only use a keyboard that will not stop you using a PSX to PC converter or PC pad for those games if you use joytokeys.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

how much is a psone controller? and the converter? ... and uh would a ps2 controller work isntead of a psone lol i have a ps2 controller.... but not a ps1

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

yes a PS2 controller would work fine infact thats what I use myself

the prices for converters range

�5 to �25 the more expensive ones tend to be more like a multi tap and may even support other devices from a few different consoles, e.g. PSX/PS2 + GameCube + Dreamcast + N64 that sort of thing in one device

�5 can get you a USB PS2 pad to PC converter with 2 ports both supporting PSone and PS2 pads Analog and Digital modes aswell as Dual Shock
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-July-2005 at 17:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

cool thanks i'll have to find one of those sometime ... would this just be used for emulation or could i use it for other games.. if they are able to have gamepad usage...?

EDIT:Like for pc games?

Thanks
    EP Points

It'll work for any game that supports regular PC controllers.

Thanks

cool i'll have to find out were to get a ps2 - pc converter thigny thanks guys

Thanks

I found them at RadioShack for $10.00 (how much does one British pound equal in the American dollar?). The only thing is, playing with a PSX\2 controller with N64 doesn't feel right because there aren't enough keys. You can put the c-buttons on the second stick, but still it's not cool. I wish there was 6 buttons on the PSX\2 controlers instead of 4. I tried looking for actual PC controllers but they are all PSX\2 style with four buttons. And the one controler I found with 6 buttons only had TWO triggers! (With a shift button gag) I mean come on! You need at least FIVE trigger buttons. I think I'm gonna suck it up and just build my own. (I WOULD use the actual N64 controller but the stick on it sux!)
    Last edited by PalmCheaterGuy; 16th-July-2005 at 21:20.
    -PCG-

Go open-source!

Thanks

build your own?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by PalmCheaterGuy
    I found them at RadioShack for $10.00 (how much does one British pound equal in the American dollar?). The only thing is, playing with a PSX\2 controller with N64 doesn't feel right because there aren't enough keys. You can put the c-buttons on the second stick, but still it's not cool. I wish there was 6 buttons on the PSX\2 controlers instead of 4. I tried looking for actual PC controllers but they are all PSX\2 style with four buttons. And the one controler I found with 6 buttons only had TWO triggers! (With a shift button gag) I mean come on! You need at least FIVE trigger buttons. I think I'm gonna suck it up and just build my own. (I WOULD use the actual N64 controller but the stick on it sux!)
    5 triggers??

but the N64 pads have 3 triggers not 5

Personly I don't mind the C stick on an analog stick it works just fine like that, infact the gamecube pads C stick is basicly another analog stick aswell so the N64 Zelda's play nice on my GameCube and you can get a GC pad to PC converter aswell.... I also have a PS2/PSX pad to GC aswell and that just works great (obviously 2 buttons don't get used as the GameCube pads have less buttons, 4 buttons if you count L3 and R3)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-July-2005 at 21:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

would a ps2 controler work well with dreamcast (i'm configuring dreamcast controls now lol and it seems mighty more than ps2)

Thanks

Yes a PS2 controller with an adaptor would work with EVERYTHING that supports controller support. Because it is no different than a normal pc controller.

But for a recommendation, pick up an xbox controller for around 30 bucks I think it is. Then hack the end off of it and splice the wires of it to a usb end. Then Download the XBCD drivers to use the pad on the computer. Very nice controller. It is much more comfortable than the ps2 one and it has the exact same amount of buttons as it has. Much sturdier too incase you get pissed and throw it.