Thread: PSX images with 0 error?

Thanks

Default PSX images with 0 error?

maybe this has been said before, but i keep seeing PSX games posted with the mention [0 error]... how do you check it? i'm using CDmage and tried "scan for corruption", sometimes it reported some corrupted sectors, is it the same thing? and does it mean that the PSX game with corrupted sectors is a bad RIP? because i know that there are some intentional errors with the PSX games, so is it different...

thanks for the answers!
    ~ [dot] invasion ~

~current PSX games count: more than 1'300~

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by marmotte
    maybe this has been said before, but i keep seeing PSX games posted with the mention [0 error]... how do you check it? i'm using CDmage and tried "scan for corruption", sometimes it reported some corrupted sectors, is it the same thing? and does it mean that the PSX game with corrupted sectors is a bad RIP? because i know that there are some intentional errors with the PSX games, so is it different...

thanks for the answers!
    That error thing is bogus... errors don't mean that there will be errors when you play the game... It's hard to say just what those errors really do.

Thanks

ok, that's just what i thought then, thanks GundamGuy
    ~ [dot] invasion ~

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by marmotte
    ok, that's just what i thought then, thanks GundamGuy

Now don't get me wrong... some errors are really errors and will effect game play...

But Im sure there are games that "have errors" that are perfectly good rips...

Fixing those errors could cause problems...

PS: Im no expert on these things... so I could be totaly wrong...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Games listed with [0 errors] are from me and yeah thats the report from CDMage, it would be unusual for me to release a game with errors but I have done but it was listed as having those but that CD needed those errors to be there, can't say it was protection it was just the way it was made that time.

Errors come in all sorts of different shaps and sizes the most common ones though are in sectors that don't contain game data (unknown/unused sector) and there is no need to fix that (same goes for errors in dummy files) but if you get errors in FMV thats also common then the chances are it will be corrupt.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

ok, so it's almost impossible to say what game is a perfect rip then...

because apparently a game with 1000 errors MIGHT BE a better rip than the same one with only 10 errors, ironically... pheew

i did some tests actually, around 1 game out of 2 i downloaded has corrupted sectors (i still didn't check with my personnal collection of PSX games though, but i bet most of them have errors too then)

anyway, thanks for the answers...
    ~ [dot] invasion ~

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not realy intentional errors can't be repaired anyway what count's mostly is the location of the errors.

Oh yeah just because an error can't be repaired doesn't say it is intentional either.

I can usually tell if an error is intentional or not, but with some games it's hard to tell and the only way to find out is to actually play the game through on an actual PSX (Emulation can get round most errors without problems though).

If there was a black and white way to tell I would share this info but there isn't, you learn from trial an error.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR