Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sega Appreciation

Mikey_ Guest

Default Sega Appreciation

I made this thread after looking through my list of DC games. basically this thread is to speak of your appreciation of sega games, systems, etc that came our way through out the years. what sega systems do you have? what were your fav games on sega console systems? why did you like sega consoles and games? do you miss sega?

I myself have been a sega fan since their master system was released. it was the very 1st gaming system i had. my mom bought it for me as a gift when i was a young kid and i totally loved it. i played lots of Hang On and Wonder Boy and Zillion games. some classics on that one.

Genesis came up next for me. i bought it and thought it was so cool. i especially loved that it had xmen games for it along with some street fighters, golden axes, streets of rages, sonics, etc. i did like the system itself but i wasn't totally addicted to its games the way i was with other systems and their games. i never moved beyond the genesis onto other things like the 32x, sega cd and the saturn. though i do recall one day in high school, some friends of mine came to my house, my friend Davie brought over his Saturn and an imported xmen vs street fighter. we all whooped each other's asses for a few hours lol was much fun. that game btw was what got me hooked on the versus games

Then of course, came the Dreamcast. sega's pride and joy and to this day still one of my favorite systems. i remember hanging out with a friend at a video gaming store. he worked there and i had enough dough to buy a new system. at the time i believe i had the ps2 already and the GC and xbox weren't even around yet so i opted for the dreamcast. got my hands on a 2nd controller and a VMU. i must have spent about an hour in the store talking to a friend who worked there at the time as to what games i should get. i don't remember very well just what games there were available there but from what i saw and what was spoken of (and my experience), the ones to get at the time were Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica. i handed over my credit card and ran back home to hook it all up and get to gaming lol and man was i stoked! MvC2 was....dreamy. i've always wanted to see psylocke vs chun li and so many other cross over battles, and there it was. played that for a while but not too long cuz i knew i'd be stuck on it and not give RECV any attention. then came....Resident Evil. hoo boy! at the time of course i felt like it was the cream of the crop of resident evil games. and it was. still had the same gameplay as previous RE games only with much better graphics and sound. i loved the music in that game. i too was hooked on that game for a while till i beat it.

Over time i came to have so many great classics for the DC. MvC2 was replaced by Capcom vs SNK2 for best fighter in my mind. i always loved the hyper fighting system and cutesy graphics of those other vs games but CvS2 had...kind of more mature like graphics. more details, better resolution, better sounds, classic control, everything that i could want in a truly great fighting game. other games that i didn't really want but i ended up falling for anyway because of my nephew's love of simplicity and fun were the sonic adventure games. it was sonic on steroids. better everything, over older sonic games. and i do mean everything. i really liked playing through sonic levels but hated the levels where i had to collect pieces of gems lol. annoying much. then came looney tunes space race (which i thank sprung for that one lol). again, another title i didn't want but that didn't matter cuz i initially got it for my nephew and man was that game fun! controls (for certain characters) were flawless. the sound effects were very funny and graphics were very nice.

Well, i could go on and on but i don't wanna bore people even further lol. speak of your experiences and memories btw, i don't want this to turn into a console war thing. this is an appreciation thread. if you have something to say about other systems make another thread and do it there. would be cool also if other's made threads in appeciation of other systems.
    Last edited by Skinner8; 7th-March-2005 at 16:02.

Thanks

Oh dear sweet God. Divide that post into paragraphs, or no one - including me - is going to read it. Ever.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Mikey_ Guest

sorry. i just divided it into paragraphs but, when i get back to it, it still looks the same. i cut N pasted it onto a blank txt file and saw that the paragraphs were there but when i cut N paste it back here it looks like nothing was ever changed. i dunno if its cuz i'm on my sister's mac or not.

Thanks

Ah, yeah, so I see. Fixed it up a bit for you.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Mikey_ Guest

thanx. you meant spaces between each paragraph. i was thinking of something else. for each paragraph that started i pressed the space bar a few times. which didn't work...oh well. hopefully people will start replying soon even though its off to a rocky start

Thanks
    EP Points

I <3 teh Dreamcast. Nuff said.

Uncle Evil Guest

DC was ahead of its time. i loved it. i loved Saturn, I loved Genesis i loved it all. Sega in general was usualy ahead of its time which i think is why it didnt do so well

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Dreamcast is still one of my fav consoles more so because of all the Ports and Emulators around for it, helps that I have a keyboard and mouse for it .

The machine is just amazing for what it can handle and it handles it well

Going back over years I had:-
    Mastersystem (Fav games - R-Type & Golden Axe Warrior)
    Megadrive (Fav Games - Shining Force (Both) Phantasy Star II+IV - Zero Tollerance)
    32X (Fav Game - DooM) - [I didn't have it very long]
    Mega CD (Fav Games - Shining Force CD - Vay - Lunar (Both))
    Emulated GameGear (Fav Games - Shining Force II - Sylvan Tale)

I missed out on the Saturn totally

So Much want to play at a good speed Shining Force III plus books 2 and 3 translated (on SFIII 2 and 3 the script has only just been figured out so there may be some translations over the next couple of years )
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-March-2005 at 17:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I never got into any of the Sega consoles other than the Dreamcast, as I am a Nintendo kid. Growing up, I was lucky enough to have friends who owned a Genesis, so I could play Vectorman.

I really really liked some of the games for the Saturn, too. If I remember correctly, you got Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, and Virtua Cop with the console. That is insane! There are still some gems from that system I want to get into once the emulation gets better. Like... Panzer Dragoon, and Clockwork Knight.

But the Dreamcast... that is one helluva console. There must have been some powerful cosmic forces working against Sega, because I still don't understand how it failed. The DC had lots of developer support, a ton of good games, a great launch lineup, and was a huge leap forward in graphics. Just as a point of reference, I have more games for my DC than I do for the PS2. THAT is how good it is.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The DC is still going in Japan there are even new games for it aswell

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I am a fan of sega games, but unfortunatly I never got my hands on a dreamcast of my own and I never even got to play a saturn.

My Sega and Sega CD are now borken, along with my 32X....

only have emus now.

but I do love sega stuff, still now. I should save up n buy a dreamcast.
    So I make games now sort of. Check the out the one I have in the IGF this year, its totally free: www.mackvswindows.com

Also add me on things.
    twitter: solidusjoe
    Game networks on my profile.

Uncle Evil Guest

dont realy need to *save*they are like 20 bucks now days

Thanks

that's twice the amount of cash I have
    So I make games now sort of. Check the out the one I have in the IGF this year, its totally free: www.mackvswindows.com

Also add me on things.
    twitter: solidusjoe
    Game networks on my profile.

Uncle Evil Guest

well get your ass out on the streets and whore yourself a little

Mikey_ Guest

LOL@uncle. i wonder if the DC would be around today had they gone with DVD's instead of GD's. and why certain old genesis games were never remade or had sequals on the DC. i would have loved to have seen a streets of rage, golden axe or xmen game and even vectorman on the DC.