Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default CD Image formats and software recomendations

This is just an idea and I don't expect everyone to agree.

But I think the formats used here should be limited to *.cdi *.cue\bin *.iso and *.ccd/img (preferably with cue) should be fine aswell.

cdi for Dreamcast selfboot images.

DC patchers recognise cdi's
    PSX patchers recognise bin's

Now for my reasoning of this:-

All those formats can be checked over with CD Mage for errors. (Dreamcast self boots can't as CDMage doesn't seem to like the dual sessions for those.)

All those formats can be burned with Free Trial software that doesn't have a certain number of uses or amount of days use.

cue/bin and iso are two of the most common widly acepted formats throughout all PC windows and PC linux systems and burning programs not sure about Mac though.

Mounting CD Images that a user can't burn directly (Trial runs out) then doing a direct copy is not 100% so this is not always a good option. (Still something I recomend trying though if left as the only choice)

CDRWin (free version limits speed) creates cue/bin or iso files, burns cue and iso files
    Disc Juggler (free version limits speed and only lets you burn CD's) creates cdi's, burns cdi, cue, iso and nrg files

P.S. Anyone know of any other trialware that does not limit the amount of times/days you can use it?

***Edit***
    I'm not saying get rid of the old files but this would be more for future CD Images

I'm not 100% sure about cdd/img's (using cue's) but they seem to be the same format as cue/bin's creating an image of the same game on the same system the bin and img file are identicle in size but I have yet to check that in more detail (I'll have to do that at some point ) there is also something miss leading about the sub files used with ccd's as they get created even when you create a ccd from another iso that does not and can not hold sub data.

sub data is actually something thats used with CD-G's (Karaoke CD's), but I have no evidence that any other type of CD uses sub data, though some say PSX CD's hold that type of data (I can't proove this either way myself but I do know most CD-R drives can't read or burn sub data anyway even though CloneCD apears to).
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-March-2005 at 22:14. Reason: Stupid typos prolly more aswell :/

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

If you are searching for a good Tool to mount CD Images you should try Daemon Tools it's absolutely free for personal use, so u can mount CD Images as long as you want...

Daemon Tools Homepage

Direct Download...Daemon Tools

Greetz Maddin

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mounting CD Images that a user can't burn directly (Trial runs out) then doing a direct copy is not 100% so this is not always a good option. (Still something I recomend trying though if left as the only choice)

Yeah I know all about Daemon tools I was actually talking about it and saying it's not the best way to burn CD's doing a direct copy that way, though is fine 99% of the time, personly I like 100% beter so it's a last resort

Maybe I worded it badly... reads ok to me, but can see it being read incorectly

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon

Yeah I know all about Daemon tools I was actually talking about it and saying it's not the best way to burn CD's doing a direct copy that way, though is fine 99% of the time, personly I like 100% beter so it's a last resort

Maybe I worded it badly... reads ok to me, but can see it being read incorectly
    Besides that, having to mount the image in a virtual drive just because the dumper did not dump it in to a common file type is annoying.

Also i recomend ISObuster, it's not totaly free, but it has no time limit, and the free functions are enough to make images.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Agreed I should of had ISObuster listed there, so thanks for that GundamGuy.

***Edit***
    Well atleast on the image creating side, but I guess this thread is more on what formats are best for a user end for burning and what freeware/trialware is available for unlimited use for them to burn with.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-March-2005 at 22:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]