Thread: How to tell the region of an psx iso

Thanks

Default How to tell the region of an psx iso

I burned by god knows what number not working game today. Why don't they work? 2 reasons, either its not the right region or its a bad file. I dont' use a mod chip cuz I'm cheaper than cheap. I use the yee olde swap method. Is there ANY way to tell what region the disk is so I stop wasting my cd-r's?
    All your 1's and 0's are belong to me

Thanks

Has your swap method worked for any burnt cd? If not, then maybe you don't do it correctly.

And what you mean by region? Do you mean PAL/NTSC? They should work, but wrong type makes the picture messy on TV.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I have a big ol collection of burned games I use. I also have a big collection of frisbee's from not working games. But today I burned Parasite Eve, didn't work in my ps, but it did on an emulator.
    All your 1's and 0's are belong to me

Thanks

How it didn't work? Just nothing happened when you tried to play the game?
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

if u look at ur psx disc in ur comp, there will be a file that tells the game's id.

any game beginning with slus and scus are ntsc u/c. sces and sles are pal games. slps and another one (i forget) are ntsc j. these designations are followed by a unique number.

however, i dont think that is the problem.

if it works on ur comp but not a real psx, try burning at a lower speed. 1x would be the best, but if ur burner doesnt support that, just do the lowest it can.

of course, some cdrs simply dont work with psx games. i have encountered some that burn everything properly, but when i try a psx game, they wont even run on my comp.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Parasite Eve is NTSC, I know this because there was no PAL version made at all

You do know you can patch an iso so the boot region matches your system, there are even display patchers but I wouldn't recomend those as display patches can course the games to be unplayable but boot patches are fine

Patch-It boot region patcher
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2005 at 23:39.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Cant really do much about this. I have had experience with various games like that. I tried everything I possibly could to make a few games work. They never did. But then I tried them in my playstation 2...... and they booted. So I dont know what it is.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Every PSX CD-R backup I have works there are a few with protection though but I do know Parasite Eve is not one of those and most of the protected ones can be patched anyway

I have no idea what problems you have had Winged 2.0 but I think this is more likley to of been your PSX at the time, though it doesn't realy matter now as you use your PS2 instead

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Lol but I don't. My ps1s motor is shot and sometimes doesnt spin up right. So I dont want to do that to my ps2. What would be really nice is a downloadable ps1 game booter in PS2 format. Since I have Swap Magic 3. SM3 is meant for ps2 backups only. Not ps1.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Get yourself an Action Replay 2 for the PS2 but make sure it's the one with the PSX bonus demo Action Replay that works for PSX CD-R backups and there is no problems with silly things like Toc, either that or buy a boot CD specificly for PSX games, that will also work fine with your PS2

You have 0 chance of getting a downloadable one and I presume you were kidding anyway

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon
    Parasite Eve is NTSC, I know this because there was no PAL version made at all

You do know you can patch an iso so the boot region matches your system, there are even display patchers but I wouldn't recomend those as display patches can course the games to be unplayable but boot patches are fine

Patch-It boot region patcher
    I was wondering.... is there a version for the dreamcast?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope there isn't a DC version it only came out for PSX

Are you talking about a region converter?

A boot one isn't needed for the Dreamcast but there is a great patcher to fix region protected, but the display will not be fully converted though the Dreamcast supports both 60hz and 50hz well the euro one does and the NTSC one as far as I know doesn't need any fixes like that.

I'll have to get back to you though on what the prog is and were to get it from though as I am not surrently at home now
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-February-2005 at 13:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]