Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent Beware !!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Suikoden BitTorrent D/L Beware !!!

I just download an NTSC version of Suikoden from SN.

DONT DOWNLOAD IT

The game is OK, it's just the crap it installed on my PC when I extracted the fekker. I'm going through things with a fine comb so I can Kill/Delete/Eradicate all the shitty spyware it installed

So far I've found...

Virtual Bouncer
    Ad Destroyer
    Web Rebates

There's a few others too that Spybot could'nt delete. eZula HotText & Shop at Home I'll see what Ad Aware, CWShredder and HijackThis turn up.
    It even made a new folder in my IE favourites called AT games

It's a good job I know exactly what should be on the Processes list or I would be screwed. Every time I deleted the WebRebates01.exe it would start WebRebates02.exe and so on. Got rid of it eventually

Spybot has started telling me it's missing .dll files now We should find out who uploaded this to SN, it's a frikkin disgrace

I'm about to Restart my computer, keep your fingers crossed
    Last edited by Richardstone; 10th-September-2004 at 19:08.

Thanks

Wow. That sucks.

Thanks

Yeah, that is very bad dude
    You should try to find a good suikoden I think

Thanks

I have been downloading stuff from SN for almost 2 years now and I haven't experienced any spyware from the stuff I got from there. Maybe you got the spyware from other sites? SN has been very reliable to me.

They are hot, aren't they??

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Astro X
    I have been downloading stuff from SN for almost 2 years now and I haven't experienced any spyware from the stuff I got from there. Maybe you got the spyware from other sites? SN has been very reliable to me.
    Same here, never had any troubles. I'm 99% sure it was that because it all kicked off seconds after I unzipped it. It was split in 8 parts with the first part being a self extracting thing (looks like a zip file in a box)

It's no real problem, just a pain in the ass. Spybot, Ad Aware & Housecall all killed some shizz. Still have a bit of browaser hijacking but I'll clean that up before long

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The one problem with SN though, is that the files come form lots of places including us emuparadise, so to be honest you could hit on a bad file easy enough.

But on a side note though self extracting files can run programs after extract done this for myself before to kind of make a selfextracting installer for some of the thing I backup for myself.

Anyway instead of running the selfextract just right click it and open it with WinRAR or whatever if you want to use a lil extra causion.

Doing this that way, if there was spyware in the self extractor, it wont do anything, infact you can just pick what you want to extract anyway.

Can't see there being spyware in the self extractor though, but yes it is possible.

Spyware does still need to be activated i.e. run, so just by extracting a selfextract the way I said will avoid anything being installed without you knowing from those files.

Site spyware installs are diff as they do run themselves through scripts and so on from the web page you visit and can do so without you knowing.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-September-2004 at 19:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I have seen ways to actually put viruses in trojans "inside" the exe part of the self extractor. It isn't in the archive. It's when you run the self extractor it also runs the exe for the virus, trojan, whatever.

Thanks
    EP Points

The greater mystery is why someone would go to all that trouble, and put it in a PS game?

Eeediots, fekkin eediots

On a brighter note I think I got rid of it all

Thanks
    EP Points

You can easily "embed" any file inside any exe file. You can also make a self extracting archive that will execute something it just extracted. That's mostly what knowitman said, but in a more simple way.

Thanks

Embedding may be quite simple, but it has it's disadvantages...most virus scans will instantly notice that the file has been modified. I've heard it's possible to latch a file onto another in an unknown sector, making even the extra space taken up unnoticeable, it works sorta like on a CD where there is a number for the beginning and end of the data; sometimes Data can be burned after the stated end, effectively hiding it completely, It's like a DC game.

Thanks

Thank's mate ill watch out for that

Thanks

try window washer itll wipe alot of crap off your comp. But dont forget your passwords though.

Thanks
    EP Points

This was the one that was hiding out and causing all the trouble..

mxtarget.dll

Nasty little thing, but it's all better now

Thanks

Look, I get the same spyware crap as well, but I always get rid of them.
    Helping people with emulation problems.

Thanks

Spyware wasnt the only thing I found inside Suikoden, I just wasn't sure if it was the same suikoden on this site (I don't remember if I got it here or not). My virus program went nuts about trojans and such inside that archive and it started jumping around on my computer before my AV kicked in. Bloody suikoden! I'll stick to playing Parodius!