Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mod-chip or swap cd's?

Thanks

Default Mod-chip or swap cd's?

Okay now that I have a dvd-burner and whatnot, I was wondering what is better for a ps2, to get a mod-chip installed or to buy the swap discs. Which do you guys think is better?

Sig above thanks to crusher

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mod chip I would say but the flip top+swop CD's/DVD's is also a great combo

Swop CD's/DVD's are not worth it on there own, though there is a way to get it to work without a flip top.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Modchip all the way

Thanks
    EP Points

Modchip all the way. Swap and flip top are teh suck.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    Modchip all the way. Swap and flip top are teh suck.
    Shows what you know.

I have two PS2's. One with the flip-top mod installed, and one without. I use the Swap Magic version 3 to load all my games on both. I have to use a slide card on the one without the flip top, but it works fine on both. It's also a quick and easy process.

There are few games that don't work with the Swap Magic alone. For those, you download a program called CD Loader and burn it to disk. You then use that in conjunction with the Swap Magic to get those games to work.

There is absolutely no real downside to the Swap Magic/Flip Top, Swap Magic/Slide Card method, expect that the TOC on the SM CD is too small to load your rips. But if you've got a DVD burner, that shouldn't be an issue. The SM CD will load all PS2 CD games, and the SM DVD all the PS2 DVD's. Except of course for DVD9's, and there's no way to burn those yet. Well, there is, but few will have access to it just now.

At any rate, the Swap Magic isn't teh suck, and your comment gives me the feeling you've never used it. So please, refrain from putting in such asinine imput unless you know what it is you're talking about.

Thanks

Hmmm it seems to be a tough choice then. The swap card and cd's seem good because if anything happens to the ps2, eg disk read errors, sony will fix that for free, or so I read in a faq in gamefaqs. So I am leaning towards swap cd's for now. Also if you don't mind me asking what are DVD9's?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

9 = Dual Layer DVD's 9 gig APX
    Single Layer DVD's are 4.7 Gig

Nab the Swop Magic Discs then and a slide card

I used to do that with mine though I only realy used it for uploading to my mem card

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD9's are daul layered DVD's. You can apparently buy burners for them now, but the media is expensive. Most DVD9 games end up being ripped to one or two DVD's anyway, such as Champions of Norrath, so there's really nothing to worry about there. They're few and far between anyway.

As for the Swap Magic with the slide card, using it doesn't void your warranty as installing a mod-chip would, which is another postive aspect. The only thing that you're required to remove to use the slide card is the little face-plate on the drive door, and that can easily be put back on. If anything should happen to your PS2 while using the SM with slide card while you're within warranty, you'll still be able to get it fixed. You'd be SOL with a mod chip.

Don't get me wrong though, mod chips have thier advantages, but all you really need is the SM 3.0 if you're just going to be booting up your DVD games.

EDIT: The ever helpful Zorlon beat me to it.

Thanks

Alrighty thank you for your help guys.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You're more then welcome, of course.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the SM 3.0 with the Slide Card is relatively inexpensive, whereas a Mod Chip can run you a fair penny depending on what you decide on.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem
    agree's with Cyberxion

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion
    DVD9's are daul layered DVD's. You can apparently buy burners for them now, but the media is expensive. Most DVD9 games end up being ripped to one or two DVD's anyway, such as Champions of Norrath, so there's really nothing to worry about there. They're few and far between anyway.

As for the Swap Magic with the slide card, using it doesn't void your warranty as installing a mod-chip would, which is another postive aspect. The only thing that you're required to remove to use the slide card is the little face-plate on the drive door, and that can easily be put back on. If anything should happen to your PS2 while using the SM with slide card while you're within warranty, you'll still be able to get it fixed. You'd be SOL with a mod chip.

Don't get me wrong though, mod chips have thier advantages, but all you really need is the SM 3.0 if you're just going to be booting up your DVD games.

EDIT: The ever helpful Zorlon beat me to it.

about being SOL if you void ur warrenty thats a crock of shit my ps2 had a missng peice of metel where the expansion bay would be and it was all bent up and i simply took it to wallmart with the box and got a new one no recete or anything plus the ps2 was 2 years old lol

Thanks
    EP Points

What he meant was you void your warranty by installing a mod chip

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    What he meant was you void your warranty by installing a mod chip
    Yes that's true however... the PS2 only has an 2 year or is it 1 year warranty... so Master Vivi got lucky and got his no longer covered by warranty system returned.

Thanks
    EP Points

I worked with a guy that had a PS2 and ATV Offroad Fury. He had the system and game for 6 or 8 months, and decided he needed money, so he took them back to WalMart. Full refund, even on the game.