Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with PS1 games

Mott Guest

Default Problem with PS1 games

I got my PSone modded the other day and have not burned PS1 games for like 4 years, I remeber that I used to have to burn the games at 2x so the movies would play smooth. I want to play Xenogears and I have downloaded but my 48x burner will not burn slower than 4x and all the movies are so choppy I cannot figure out the story line! Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? I really want to play a couple RPGs on the PSone but it is impossible without seeing the movies!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Need more info first

Your PSone is it an NTSC machine or PAL oh and it is a lil PSone right not an older bigger PSX gray?

burning at 4x should be fine by the way

One thing I recomend though that you check the ISO aswell with the aid of CD Mage, because if the ISO has errors then although it may play fine with an Emu such as ePSXe it may not back on your PSone

CD Mage can also try to repair and damage aswell

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Mott Guest

It is a Mini PSone and it is NTSC, I have burned a couple games at 4x and they all skip like MAD on the movies.... I have been using good media to, none of the cheap crap.

Thanks
    EP Points

Exactly what kind of media have you used? I know some non cheap ones that don't work well in a PSX.

Mott Guest

I've used Melody, the game plays fine its just the movies is all. Got any suggestions for cds I should use?

Thanks

Burn at 1x and use Memorex Black's. Works for me

Mott Guest

That is the problem, I cannot seem to burn lower than 4x with my LitOn 48x24x48

Thanks

Oh. Well... If your comp. doesn't have lots of RAM and you have lots of progz and stuff running while burning, that could be the problem too....

Mott Guest

I have a freakin' super awsome computer with 1024mb of RAM, that is not a problem and I never have to many programs running, usually like 28-32 processes running and always over 750mb of RAM avalible, I don't even see how that woujld effect a program to nor be able to burn at 1x, there isnt even an option. I have Nero, Disc Juggler and Alcohol 120%.

Thanks
    EP Points

It is your drive that won't let you burn that slow. It has to be your media. I hear people say they burn at 48x speed and don't have a problem. I wish I could help you because I have used Memorex and Verbatim and they both give me similar problems.

Thanks

Er... Okay. Your computer 0wNz all. Happy?
    What I meant was: Having a lot of stuff running while burning the game could be the cause of the FMV's and such skipping (If your computer is low on RAM, that is.). Since that's not it, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe you've been abusing your PSX? Is the laser worn out?

Mott Guest

I picked it up from a pawn shop so I have no clue, it was no pre-modded and looked to be as new as you could get it from a pawn shop. So in short, no clue. I really hope I can get past this some way, I really want to start Xeno Gears....

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Well, you could pick a cheap real game to test the PS1. I'm sure you can find something for $2-3 somewhere.

I'd also recommend trying some different media. I've never even heard of Melody myself. It sounds like one of those overpriced "Audio-CDRs".
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Mott Guest

Nah they aren't overpriced cd-rs but I have heard only good things about them. Also I have a couple real games such as FF 7 and 8 and both of those the movies play just great so I am pretty sure it is not the laser.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Well, if real games play fine, and you're burning at 4x (I've never had a problem with this speed). That'd leave the media to try. It can't hurt to buy few other disks.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here