Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will visualboy advance ever go online multiplayer

im nowhere, but at the same time im everywhere. I am but an enigma in this world
    Thanks

Default will visualboy advance ever go online multiplayer

like ur linked up with peple from around the world like kaellira.

Thanx a lot to DSerge for this sig.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think Zorlon said in another post that they authors don't want to make the emulator online for legal reasons.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It seems a bit silly to me to cite legal reasons, thought I guess I understand why they'd take that stance. It'd open a whole can of worms they'd rather not deal with.

That said, they could throw in multiplayer support on one PC, or at the very least release the source code and let interested programmers develop some sort of multiplayer solution for it.

I know, I know. It's not in thier best interest to do that. Just wishful thinking, y'know?
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 13th-February-2004 at 04:54.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Maybe they will eventually I'm still not sure why they said what they did, I do understand it could be a pain to do but there is a chance they said what they did just to help stop with the constant requests for that to be added.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I'll say it again:
    I remember downloading an older version (not that old, probably late last year) which featured some sort of online multiplayer connection: there was a field for inputting IPs and stuff, I wasn't high or dry or anything...

Newer versions don't have said feature anymore... Probably because of what Zorlon said, and I don't have that particular version on my PC anymore (which seems to have mysteriously disappeared from VBA's homepage as well)...

I wouldn't lie about this, though I know it sounds dumb... And I'm pretty sure it was VBA and not some other emulator...

Thanks

why'd u dump it? seems like that would have been good to have around. also, if multiplayer gba is so important to u, get the source code to an open gba emu, learn to program, make it as good as vba and the add multiplayer support. chances are u'll have something b4 the people working on vba decide to add it.

btw, simple scheme for multiplayer emu: just shunt the serial port data over ip. u don't have to really do anything because the pcs on both ends will simply act like gba with one hell of a long link cable.

edit: neverming, vba IS open source (actually gpl 2b exact) if u want multiplayer support learn to program. souce is available here
    Last edited by madcrow; 13th-February-2004 at 18:56.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Uh that wasn't anything to do with GBA multiplayer linkup networking, I remember that.

Edit:- The emu still has that feature it's uder Tools then GDB

It's just an online Debugging system, the following is part of the official FAQ, found at http://vba.ngemu.com/faq.shtm

GDB support
    VisualBoyAdvance now provides GDB remote debugging support. This gives developers the full power of GDB to debug GBA applications.
    In order to use this, you will need a cross-compiled GDB for either the arm-elf or arm-thumb-elf target (used for the --target= option of GDB configure script).
    You can also use GDB frontends like DDD, CodeMedic, etc... or even GDB/Insight for GUI debugger (if using anything other than GDB/Insight, please make sure to point to the right GDB executable).
    The emulator provides two transport protocols for remote debugging:
    TCP: allows debugging through TCP using port 55555 (or any specified) port. The advantage of using TCP is that it allows true remote debugging but it is slower compared to the pipe method (pipe method does not work on Windows - probably a restriction imposed by the CYGWIN port of GDB).
    PIPE: allows debugging through a PIPE between the emulator and GDB. This is a lot faster than TCP and recommened on Unix systems
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-February-2004 at 20:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I am now officially an iddiot...

Thanks
    EP Points

You don't really need to know that unless you plan on using that feature. All you need to know is that the emu authors don't plan on adding an online feature so if you want it you need to add it yourself.

im nowhere, but at the same time im everywhere. I am but an enigma in this world
    Thanks

zorlon wat exactly does ur method do?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

??? What method would that be?

Have you missread one of my posts maybe?

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

about the gdb thing wat does it do for me?

Thanks
    EP Points

It does nothing for you - you don't need online debugging functionality.

Thanks

o ok

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nothing realy it just lets you debug GBA software from what I can tell, read there FAQ about it, linked in this thread
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-February-2004 at 21:59.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]