Thread: New to MAME

Thanks

Default New to MAME

I have recently acquired the MAME emulator. I'm also having trouble getiing the damn thing to work for me (specically the new KOF2003 rom) anyways i think a few of you have gotten this rom to work, so i really dont know what i'm doing wrong. I unpack the KOF.zip file to my roms folder and then i start up MAME32p and i try and start KOF. MAME says that some files are missing and the game cannot run, anybody know the files that i'm supposed to have? does anybody have any advice for me in generel? thanks in advance too

Thanks

howdy Amethyst Rush lets see if we can get a "cool bannanas" out of ye.
    all right I know almost nothing about this stuff so if anyone more knowledgable would kindly step in at any time please do.

have you gotten any game to work with Mame yet?
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Thanks

well i'm downloading KOF2002 as we speak, and then i'll try that. i havent tryed any other game no.

Thanks

in this way we can see if it is your rom that is defective or you . If we can get a game to work, any game, then we know that you know what you are doing, and if you can get it to work then we can start trying to fix up the specific rom you are having a problem with.
    try some older roms as well (they are fun to play as well as being a good test run
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Thanks

ah! i cant even get this to work, =\ blah i gove up on this crazy MAME stuff, its all too complicated lol.

Thanks

Ya better not Amethyst Rush, I've put too much time in this for you ta go soft on me now. Well I read the other kof post and according to the Nimanator you seem to have the reight rom which is good news, all we need now is to get mame up and running. Now this may sound obvious but have you gone through all of the readmes and the help files in Mame or at their web site? I'm sure they can explain it all a hell of a lot better 'n me so if ya haven't do so now if ya have then I spose we'll have to go through it step by painful ;( step.
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

KOF = Neo-Geo if I'm correct.

Then you need the Neo-Geo bios rom then it will run fine

Just pop it in the same folder as the other roms still in a zipped state

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ding Ding Ding and I think we have a winner, good pick Zorlon, am I fated to always be the one to give okay advice and be made to look like a fool by the Mighty Zorlon who actually gives the right advice. (this has happened way too many times for my liking guy, I think from now on I should always answer these posts with "ask Zorlon, he'll know".
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Thanks

yeah, find the neo-geo bios and put in ur roms folder called (w/o the quotes) "neogeo.zip"

Thanks
    EP Points

Did you say you unpacked the rom?
    It is best to leave the roms in zip format.

Thanks

If your running Windows 98 or Win Me KOF 2003 wont work unless you put these 3 files in the mame32plus folder..

Download: Save Target as

Edit: Also versions of mame32plus .78 .79 wont work for KOF 2k3.. If you download this emu of Mame32p it will run KOF 2k3.. I put it up on my ftp..

Download: Save Target as
    Last edited by Matias; 30th-January-2004 at 21:23.

Thanks

YES! good news, after taking into account everything you guys just told me it worked. Now i dont know whether it was makenshi's files that helped me or the fact that i wasnt supposed to unpack the game (lol wow i hate being such a noob). but i got it to work! cool bananas!

Thanks

for me it disappeared i was able to play it now it can't the file is there but it says it not i can't wait til i can use neoragex mame is dumb