Ok - so I must be totally misinterpreting all the data that's out there regarding FATX.
Especially the statement that there is a limit of 240 files/folders in any folder and thus you cannot have more than 240 game saves at any time.
And the further statements that just running the game and creating a GameID is limited.

As far as where I am getting my info...this seems to be the most quoted source from Zorlon:
https://www.epforums.org/showthread....ions-and-notes

• 4GB / 4096 Megabyte 4294967296 bytes Max file size
  • 42 characters for file names (there are also a bunch of characters not supported , accepted ones are limited to
  • ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx yz0123456789!#$%&'()-.@[]^_`{}~ (that includes spaces)
  • (DVD's do not have the same limits and don't use the FATX file system)
  • A maximum of 240 in total folder depth (thats a folder inside a folder inside a folder inside a folder up to 240)
  • A maximum of 240 folders/files in each folder (thats a flat limit)
  • A maximum of 4096 files/folders in a single root folder (this is the grand total of files that can be stored in any single root sub folder)
  • Cluster sizes supported = 4 KB 8GB to 64GB, 8 KB 65GB up to 128GB partitions, 16 KB 129GB to 256GB partitions, 32 KB 257GB up to 512GB partitions, 64 KB 513GB up to 1TB partitions
  • Save data is also under the 240 limit and if this is hit you will not be able to start any new software after as it will just boot to a black screen

I'm most confused by bullet point 4 which directly lends itself to the last bullet point regarding only 240 game saves.

I currently have a UDATA folder with about 500 folders in it.
I am also able to create a test folder and upload 4096 files to it.

So - if I am able to have over 500 folders in UDATA and over 4000 files in a folder, why is there a 240 limit on game saves?
What exactly is bullet point 4 & 5 indicating when it says a 240 file/folder limit? I don't see any such limitations at all.

To further clarify - game data is created in E:\UDATA (saves) and E:\TDATA (mainly DLC & updates).

It has been claimed multiple times on this site that a maximum of 240 saves is possible because of a file system limitation.

Based on my experiments above I see no such limitation where 240 files/folder/anything is the limit.
Because I can create 4096 folders in each of the E:\ locations, there should be no reason save games are limited.

I would love an explanation because I must be missing something.

thanks.