Thread: PS1 region locking (PS2 console)

Threaded View

Thanks

I'm a little unclear on this and, to be honest, I haven't tried a foreign disc.

Anyway, is it possible to disc-swap my way to victory with games from a different region? I'm looking to play Japan exclusives without resorting to emulators (Pepsimaaaan!). Since I'm using a PS2 slim, Free McBoot is available, but I think it's only any use for PS2 games. Ugh, I hate region locking - it seems illogical.

Well, I decided to just try it. Unsurprisingly, swapping from the browser doesn't work (amazed it does with same-region games, to be honest) but swapping on the PS1 splash screen gets it up and running. It's running in PAL and seems fine with that (The Sniper, if you're curious) but the picture is offset vertically quite some way, resulting in about 1/10th of the picture being cut off the top. Interestingly, my capture box recognises the signal so it must be proper PAL instead of half resolution PAL.

Anyway, whatever I try with GSM only ever results in a picture about half as tall as it should be or twice as tall. Any ideas on how to shift the picture down a little? There are no in-game picture offset options.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-July-2017 at 20:02.