Thread: PS2 Emulatation, Which Disk Would you recommend?

Thanks

Default PS2 Emulatation, Which Disk Would you recommend?

I am wanting to play some of my emulation on my PlayStation 2, i know how to set the disk up for it and all, i currently have the It Might Be NES for Playstation 2, well technically PSone, I use Action Replay for the PSOne to load the game up i notice the one for PS2 is pretty good price to, should i go ahead and buy this disk for my PS2? https://www.amazon.com/Datel-Intec-A.../dp/B0000CED4T and do i got to do anything special with the disk, or am i able to load my emulation disk such as SNES Station and PGEN the same way i run my It Might Be NES? I use to have Swap Magic, but i dropped the disk and the damn thing broke lol, however my CD version of the disk still works.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Swap Magic CD is fine for PGEN and SNES Station as well as the Master system emu that I forgot the name of

P.S. you could just softmod your PS2 using the Swap Magic CD and run patched DVD-R/+R's directly no Swapping required once the mod is installed, the only real issue is that will only work with DVD's but you still have the CD Swap Magic so call that a win win, though some not all CD's can be converted to DVD easy enough

ESR the mod in question is not 100% perfect there are few trouble games but not many most games do just work

Action Replay Max... I don't remember the features that well but it will not let you play DVD's that are burned it might though let you run special formatted CD's provided the program you run from that can run in that format PGen was one of them though, not so sure about SNES Station though, but if that is all you want it for, the Swap Magic CD can run PGen and SNES Station anyway so not worth buying yet another Swap CD in the form of Action Replay Max, the MAx version could also launch the roms from a USB stick that was kinda cool but so can the soft mod or a burned CD, Swap Magic CD can run a normal Burned CD providing you supply the correct SYSTEM.inf files for the emulation CD, when building a CD

Before jumping on the modders way check your PS2 can run it

without listing models I am sure that the bulky versions all work and the older slims work but the new slims with the new look will not work

P.S. Emulation on the PS2 is just not all the great, a number of games do work fine but there are also plenty that do not

A Wii is possibly the best console to emulate from with Xbox shortly followed behind, the Wii is the easy one to mod though and if you wanted you can use a USB to PS2 convertor and use your PS2 pads on the Wii for use with emulators & GC games, you can get convertors for the Xbox also

I would still look into modding the PS2 first though, you have everything you need hardware wise

A PS2
    A method to boot PS2 code (Swap Magic CD) either from CD-R or USB depending on the version you have
    A PS2 Memcard (Official one would be best)
    A USB stick (To store the bulk of the files needed)

You can find a softmod guide at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80570, depending on the version of SWAP MAgic you may be able to run PS2 code from USB, but if not just make a CD instead both are covered in the guide...

End result you don't need to buy anything... and the mod lets you install more apps that can let you run from Network, USB, Internal HDD (Bulky only) and other nifty little apps to improve your gaming experience

Note on USB, USB is very slow on the PS2 and for games other than emulation it is not practical, giving slow load times high incompatibility, especially for those games that read data on the fly, aka stream data.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-November-2016 at 22:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

hdadvance retail disks is one option.
    can target a usb device as a redundancy, so a spoofed ps2 image with mods on it can be run to do a softmod from a prepared usb card, saves knackering the drive with slider tools and methods that force the user to abuse the console physically.
    oh, hdadvance works for all ps2 variations.
    the new retail package is two factory pressed disks, a dvd and a cd.
    both do the same thing, media booting is irrelevant. (a good thing in the case of the op even.)
    there's other ways, namely a chunky ps2, network/ide hdd card with harddisk and freeharddiskboot.
    the above mentioned hardware is far from modified, just running an illegally built bootloader from harrdisk, that can be RIPPED for free off the webs.
    all the best whatever you decide.