Thread: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver PS 1 backup on PS 2 slin

Thanks

Default Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver PS 1 backup on PS 2 slin

Hey there,

First up: I'm new to console backups, and only started fiddling around with them when my new PS 1 (fat) arrived a few weeks ago, and I wanted to play my old games again.

I burned LOK: Soul Reaver to a CD, tried playing with the swap trick, and it didn't boot up. Tried a different game: worked. So I guessed copy protection of some sort.

I then found out the same thing works on slim PS 2s, so I tried that out. The game booted, and I went through the first parts of the tutorial, happily getting familiar with the controls again.

Anyways, then the game started to crash on one specific cutscene.
    Restarted, tried again, same thing.
    Tried my other PS 2 slim, same thing, only a few seconds later.

After some googling, I found out it's a copy protection thing (again...).

I read up about some emulators having the same issue, but there were workarounds. I can't say the same for consoles, so I wanted to ask if there's a way around this issue.

I really want to play this game, and in fact the whole series as it's meant to be played again.

Is there a way I can sort this whole thing out WITHOUT modding my PS 2. The modchip for my PS 1 is on its way, but even then I don't have a guarantee the game will boot up.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's only the EU versions that has Libcrypt protection in it, the US version has no protection at all

P.S. I know the protection in this game and it never stopped it booting, what is does is let you play so far then freeze, the freeze is cause by a check that is triggered by the libcrypt looking for the sub data that is not there in CD-R backups

There are EU patches but I only have the German and Italian version fixes, I never did crack the EU UK version
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-October-2016 at 17:56.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

OK, but I probably can't play a US game on a PAL console, can I?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I do with my PAL PS2 and every other PAL console that I have either hacked or chipped

I also use a RGB SCART though

If you have a TV that works with 60Hz you should be good to go regardless of TV cable, if you don't then the image will be black and white

If your TV is 50Hz only then a RGB SCART is the best option and the best SD image quality as a bonus

The olde PSX swap trick does not guarantee all the games work though due to the way the trick works the TOC of the burned disc may not be fully read and a few games will not work and multi disc games like Metal Gear Solid can not be played onto the next CD (others though like the Final Fantasy games let you make a CD2 save while still on CD1 allowing a reboot a load your save from the next CD)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-October-2016 at 18:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Well, the TV I have takes any. I thought it had to do with the consoles and regional locking?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope the region for the swap trick is read from the original disc not the CD-R

Just try it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by beatsleigher View Post
    The modchip for my PS 1 is on its way, but even then I don't have a guarantee the game will boot up.
    If the modchip is a decent stealth type you shouldn't have any problems with game backups, and yes as Zorlon said if your tv is multi region you can play US or Japanese games on your PAL console.

For backups make sure you look for good dumps though, some older dumps may have broken audio (usually music but sometimes some audio effects too). Redump shares are good ones to go for.

Spoiler warning: