Thread: Why does MAME suck so much???

Thanks
    EP Points

Angry Why does MAME suck so much???

I freaking hate MAME! As far as being able to run almost everything in the whole damn world goes, MAME is the hardest emulator to configure!!!

It's so freaking simple. Look at all the other emulators on the internet. Why can't you be like them, MAME? WHY?!

Ugh.....it gets me so frustrated. All I wanted to do was run Fairchild Channel F. That's all I wanted to do. Could you do it, Mame? No.

It says it doesn't have the required amount of roms of chds!

I configured your damn rom folder! I even put the fairchild roms in the folder and specified the directory! The Bios are in the directory!!!

WHY ARE YOU THE WORST EMULATOR EVER!!!???

Thanks
    EP Points

Despite your rage I answered your question with all I am willing to help with in your other thread.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Vanilla MAME does suck indeed, this is why we have forks and MAME Frontends.

Some of my preferred forks have kinda faded out of existence but thats perfectly fine as RetroArch has me covered for that .

Have you ever dabbled with Final Burn Alpha?

It is pretty easy to use unlike MAME and is the best for what arcade games it can run, FBA is also in RetroArch for ease of use.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Mame used just for arcade is quite simple to use and extremely good at it. It just gets tricky to use when you want to go into the side of emulation that Mess was for.

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation

go here and report any bugs: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. be VERY clear, about the mame version, and your setup.
    also, user documetation comes with each OFFICIAL mame relz.
    ask at the source.
    all the best!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalTyler View Post
    Look at all the other emulators on the internet. Why can't you be like them, MAME? WHY?!
    You're aware other emulators are emulating single systems, and arcade games encompass a vast number of system types, right? It's pretty shocking that something as good as MAME even exists...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Funny thread

MAME requires er no setup asides from controls if defaults are not used

The issue is the roms and chd's and this will always be the case as when MAME updates so do the roms that makes it difficult to get the correct roms

so configuration is not a real issue, the issue is with MAME using new dumps and new drivers that is still a good thing as emulation only becomes more accurate the downside is that new users or users that just don't get this, become lost and confused.

Note that if it was not for MAME plenty of other arcade emulators would not just not be around as they are built with partial MAME code mixed with various other trickery code to get games running smoother that MAME does not do as that is aimed at accurate emulation not just to get the games playing

A simple audit tends to tell anyone exactly what is missing either can be done via rom auditing software/dat software or via various ports of mame
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-September-2016 at 18:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Indeed Zorlon. I used to use MameUI because I thought Mame was easier to set up that way until I learned just how simple it really is.
    Now I just get the command line version. Make sure my rom path is setup and adjust 2 or 3 settings in the mame.ini like turning off sleep, skip info and enabling the shader I want (none of those are necessary) and I am off to the races.

Thanks
    EP Points

I am very new at any sort of programming language. All I use are GUI for everything. cmd and terminal are the bane of my current existence. I always hated how they just never seemed to work out for me. Which was like 98% of the time. Kali. cmd. I hate it all. I never EVER got anything to be 100% correct in my codes unless it was something simple and I can't even do that correctly.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nothing wrong with using a gui version, kinda why they got done was to make programs more user friendly

I can use command line options easy enough but that is not to say I prefer it though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I run all my Mame stuff through a frontend anyways but it's so fast and easy to just open the mame.ini file to change 2 or 3 settings than to dig through menus.

Thanks
    EP Points

Maybe it's because I was running MESS when I was trying to figure out how to actually create a mame.ini file. I never knew how to do this. I just wish it was as user friendly as PJ64 or ePSXe is all.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The ini is auto generated anyway and Mess is MAME nowadays as they merged

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

They may have merged them but I find it easier to use a separate build of Mess. I had no luck getting Mame to run the stuff that wasn't arcade like x68000, Atari 5200 and ColecoVision. I just found it much easier to have a separate Mess install. Separate Mess builds are being kept up to date with the latest versions matching Mame.

You generate the ini file by running either the mame64.exe or mess64.exe with the command parameter -cc. This generates the .ini file right in the same location as the .exe
    Mame and Mess will generate an ini file if you load the exe and navigate that awful UI to change some setting and save it out but it isn't just automatically generated when you run the program.