Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROM sets in Parts

Thanks

Default ROM sets in Parts

I've just downloaded a 4 part NEOGEO romset to use with FBA emulator, as i've downloaded it in parts should i chuck it all in one file and run it through CLMAMEPRO or something or cna i just drop all the files in my emulator folder.

Thanks
    EP Points

^^ is that an archive containing the roms? (rom/bin/zip within)
    the SNK set is probably just an archive package, expand it to a separate directory, parse it via emu/data checker.
    should be a load of zip archives within the four-parter, or binaries?
    should be fine just to expand the package, tie to your emus, gold. (assuming romsets are valid? seek support at the emu developer forums if problems arise. good luck! )

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dump in a single folder and extract via the first file to another folder e.g. a roms folder

then run through clrmamepro if you wish or just run them providing they are a set for whatever emulator you use

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

So as an example if I want to run a game on retropie that is on EP as a set:

game (set 1)
    game (set 2)

I would create a new folder called:

game

extract the set folders to it and I will be good to go?

Thanks
    EP Points

YES, if the emu allows custom directory paths.
    usually, a directory called 'roms' or 'rom' would be the case as a default.
    don't see why custom shit wouldn't be allowed, just be sure ALL relative bios files (cores) are with the emu package, in a separate directory called 'bios'...aside the rom/games directory.

Thanks

great thanks! I am somewhat seasoned when it comes to some of the systems out there, but this one system that I am working on building the collection on now is the first one I have come across multiple file sets. I am still trying to figure out why they are saved that way when there is no method it appears to the madness of the file sizes.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
    So as an example if I want to run a game on retropie that is on EP as a set:

game (set 1)
    game (set 2)

I would create a new folder called:

game

extract the set folders to it and I will be good to go?
    Are you talking about arcade sets?

If so you don't want to be extracting anything, just keep those in zip format and copy then to the roms folder or the folder set inside the emulator, if you set a custom folder

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

For example Neogeo Roms for the home console.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Neo-Geo is an arcade system so rom dumps are done just like any other arcade, keep those zipped and do not rename them

Different sets are usually to do with different revisions of the game that had slightly different rom chip contents, but essentially the same game

Neo-Geo CD games however is a different story and should be extracted so you have a CD image, most common format is Bin+Cue

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

So I had gone through downloading all the ROMS I wanted for the NeoGeo and had renamed them all before finding out that renaming is a no no compared to other ROMS for other systems. I went and picked up the 4 part set. I am a bit confused as to what the deal is with them? Part 1 seems to have # to z. Parts 2-4 seem to have duplicates that are different counts that would be replacing files from the Part 1. For example"

Partt 1: 268 files
    Part 2: 188 duplicates of Part 1
    Part 3: 134 duplicates of Part 1
    Part 4: 62 duplicates of Part 1

a bit confusing.......

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I did warn you about renaming....

If it's a full set split into parts, then you need to download all parts and extract via the first part only.

By the sounds of it you have gone for a full set that was compressed into a split archive

Extracting from the first part will extract all the files from all 4 parts so then extracting part 2 after is pointless as you will of already done that...

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Yeah I did warn you about renaming....

If it's a full set split into parts, then you need to download all parts and extract via the first part only.

By the sounds of it you have gone for a full set that was compressed into a split archive

Extracting from the first part will extract all the files from all 4 parts so then extracting part 2 after is pointless as you will of already done that...
    Yeah, I see that now. I am using a new machine build with 7zip to try it out instead of winrar. I had renamed them because I hate not knowing wth a game is if viewing in Windows explorer. Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

7zip is fine to use in fact it's better than winrar

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

The biggest issue from downloading an entire set is going back through and removing all the rubbish I don't want. Oh well.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-July-2016 at 08:09.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

edited your post for language, not making a big deal of it just don't like that in help sections (I know it was not that offensive or even intended to be but we do get some very young members from time to time)

The easiest way to handle that sort of rom sorting though is via dat programs that will show correct game names even for arcade sets that do not have the full name of the game as the name of the zip files

You need the dat for the system/emulator in question and some scanning software like Romcenter http://www.romcenter.com/

It looks like (sorry that is a full screen image so click the image to get a better look at it)

Name:  rc4b3_preview1.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  96.8 KB

You can even use that as a front end for most emulators if you wanted

For fixing rom sets though you are best off using clrmamepro instead of romcenter though

So Romcenter is great to sort and organize your roms from moving folder and deleting games and clrmamepro is best for auditing roms fixing and rebuilding full/partial sets
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-July-2016 at 08:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]