Thread: Need assistance setting up PS1 emulator

Thanks

Default Need assistance setting up PS1 emulator

I guess I'll be using epsxe, though, I'm not sure which version unless it's just OK to go ahead and use the latest one.

Well, my problem is, after using several different types of video plugins, I still get the same sort of errors. I wish I could show exactly what they were, but now it just instantly closes (crashing I'm assuming) the entire emulator when I try to load an ISO. Before, it was just this error that had a number that was like 0x0000 and when I looked it up, none of the fixes really worked. So I guess I'm just trying to find the right video plugin. Unless I'm wrong.

Operating System Version:
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    NTFS: Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DirectX Driver Name: igdumdim32.dll
    Driver Version: 20.19.15.4331
    DirectX Driver Version: 20.19.15.4331
    Driver Date: 18 Nov 2015
    OpenGL Version: 4.3
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    VendorID : 0x8086
    DeviceID : 0xa16
    Number of Monitors: 1
    Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution: 1600 x 900
    Desktop Resolution: 1600 x 900
    Primary Display Size: 17.44" x 9.80" (20.00" diag)
    44.3cm x 24.9cm (50.8cm diag)
    Primary Bus Type Not Detected
    Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (C-Media USB Audio Dev

Memory:
    RAM: 3835 Mb

Here's my not so impressive specs. So yeah, let's start from the beginning.

Thanks
    EP Points

Do you have the Bios file?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	260b3d63e3d0f266826489c2f6bfab7f.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	49129

These are the ones I have.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I remember having this problem on Windows 7 when I didn't Run as Administrator. Not sure if that is an issue on Windows 10.
    It could possibly be due to an incomplete download so check the file size (before unzipping) against the size listed where you downloaded it.

ePSXe v1.6.0 works, but won't work for multi-disc games since it doesn't know how to switch discs.
    I'm not sure what video plugin you are using or what game but be aware of the SPECIAL GAME FIXES section at the bottom when you configure your video plugin. Take a look at what games are listed there so you know if that might be the problem.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Well, here's a couple of the errors that popped up earlier.
    Name:  8601d632b064ad4e4278a0d95c78b385.png
Views: 439
Size:  2.1 KB
    Name:  6038583821ae375999fe8d33325fbbdf.png
Views: 415
Size:  1.8 KB
    I'm trying v20.1-1 now.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Use OpenGL or Direct 3D or even Soft, just not OpenGL2 as your GPU does not support the features OpenGL2 uses

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family is unfortunately a low end Graphics chip set and does not support the extensions the OpenGL2 looks for (the extension is not a file but part of the features of a GPU (Graphical Processing Unit))

LOL at running as Admin anyone that has there own PC is Admin it was only Vista that was stupid even if you are admin a few progs require you to run as Admin even if you are one anyway
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-May-2016 at 16:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    LOL at running as Admin anyone that has there own PC is Admin it was only Vista that was stupid even if you are admin a few progs require you to run as Admin even if you are one anyway
    Not sure what kind of system you are on, but this Run as Admin is needed for a lot of things on Windows 7, with that specific message "Missing Render-Texture Extension!" showing up if you don't. Also, ePSXe and PEC being incompatible without running both programs as Admin. Most computers are set up to disallow programs from changing the operation of other programs in those ways. It's a huge security risk. This is part of why iPhones are very secure and tend to not bog down, for example.
    I'm pretty sure I've heard people say they need to Run as Administrator on Windows 8.1 also. I also seem to remember you saying you use Windows 10 so I suppose we can take your word about not needing to RaA there, which is further example of the huge security holes in that SWOS.

I suppose in a sense you are right that the program itself doesn't explicitly require you to RaA, but there are many that won't run how you want/expect without RaA. I know I've given the example before that STEAM won't properly execute Verify Game Cache if you haven't RaA. And this is true and tested on Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I can also tell you that OpenGL2 worked on my 1.6GHz 4-core laptop with Intel HD Graphics, with extremely poor performance, on a windows 7 starter x86. But also would not launch without Run as Administrator.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 8th-May-2016 at 17:19.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Used Windows 2.X 3.X various versions of both (Don't think I ever used the original Windows, only ever played with it for fun on more modern machines via VM's) 95 98 inc 98SE, 2K, XP, Vista, 7 & 10 (I did skip some just not many 7 and 10 I have had both x86 and 64bit versions) the only OS I ever used run as Admin was Vista, don't think I ever had any Starter version though Home Basic yes though and Home Prem

I have STEAM have had since it started and never ran that as Admin either including to Verify Game Cache as I am logged in as a Full Admin anyway and running anything normally runs as admin without selecting the option, secondary users may be different and have less access so Run As Admin would be required and have had that issue in the past on machines I was a basic user rather than an admin, usually when helping setup machines and accounts for others, and I am aware that Run as Admin does help in those situations

The missing extensions is to do with hardware or lack of but nothing to do with software/OS as explained in my last post

EDIT the only way to get OGL2 extensions working with hardware it does not support is to fake that hardware that gives the GPU even more strain, Run As Admin is still not needed for that and I would not recommend doing that unless it was to fake something of a lower end to fix graphical issues in maybe an older game otherwise you would need to run OpenGL2 with every GPU using Run As Admin that does not give you OGL2 extensions support

You will need a good gfx card supporting the latest OpenGL extensions to use it
    If said card does not it will simply say extensions not found

Unfortunately there are no guidelines to the minimum GPU that is required for this to work (and I do know there are various versions of Intel HD graphics but more info was given than just Intel HD)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-May-2016 at 18:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you are having this much trouble with that horrible piece of closed source software known as epsxe you may of well take the far better/easier route and use Retroarch with the Mednafen PSX core on PC and PCSX ReARMed core on ARM hardware.

Its essentially a set it and forget it type of deal.

If you wish to know how to set it up feel free to ask.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

My Laptop used the Intel HD GPU mentioned above. I had similar issues on Open GL its just too glitchy.

I just ran the set up wizard in EPSXE and tried each graphics option until I found one that worked. I'd have to check which one I now use.

I'm thinking its named TNT something or other i'd have to go check. But it's definatly fixable very easily.

Or use RetroArch as Warrior mentioned as thats alot more user friendly once set up. (Warrior talked me through mine.)

Thanks

Well, I got more problems.

Fullscreen has screen-tearing issues despite the fact I have vsync on (doesn't screen-tear in windowed)
    Occasionally the audio will crackle or "pop"
    Some effects in Castlevania Symphony of the Night for example has slowdowns whenever a health up jar is materializing after a boss is defeated, or destroying certain jars filled with liquid.

They're all immersion breakers that's for sure lol. If they just can't be helped I guess I'll just start the process of learning how to use RetroArch.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

RetroArch is worth having around regardless

Go for soft for the GPU plugin with Castlevania for your rig and the SPU core with ePSXe (not sure for version 2.00 and up last version I used was 1.9.0)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ZJrocket View Post
    Some effects in Castlevania Symphony of the Night for example has slowdowns whenever a health up jar is materializing after a boss is defeated,
    More so than on the Playstation? Some of this performance hit is because of your hardware, and Retroarch can be even more of a system hog. It's worth trying RetroArch but I woudn't count on it running any better than ePSXe.
    For the full screen issue, set the resolution as large as it will fit on your monitor and try to find the setting to keep aspect ratio(might not have the option with your video plugin)

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In Retroarch if you see slowdown in a area of a game try turning on the overclocking option in the Core options as that normally helps with a games lag that is present on the real hardware.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.