Thread: All games run with intermittent stutter.

Thanks

Default All games run with intermittent stutter.

So i've recently gotten myself a gaming laptop, as i'm moving to another country and want to take my gaming life with me easier. And i decided to start emulating some old classics i own instead of bringing them along.

I set up EPSXE, and no matter what settings i use, fast, nice, custom or just whatever plugin. The games run smoothly, for about 5 seconds then stutter for about 3-4 then go back to normal, rinse and repeat all the way through.

Does it with every game, even when going into the menu at silent hill and being at 60fps it still did the same thing when scrolling around it, which makes me think it isnt so much as a framerate being desynced from the refresh rate, as when i set a custom 30hz refresh rate, the issue still happens.

I dont get that sorta issue with Dolphin, but i do with ZSNES, is there something wrong with my rig? I can play normal games just fine.

i5 6600k @ 3.6, GTX 980 (Laptop Edition thing) 8GB GDDR5, 16GB DDR4 RAM.

I can screenshot my settings i usually use but they dont seem to help regardless.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

63fps for NTSC games
    53 for PAL games

see http://psxdatacenter.com/ for more settings

atleast in ePSXe not sure for ZSNES

or switch to Retroarch if you like that does PSX and SNES as well as tons of other retro systems the systems are aimed at accuracy using only open source emulators mostly set up to just run
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-March-2016 at 18:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you would like help setting up Retroarch I can gladly give you a hand , its very easy to setup and once its done its pretty much set it and forget it.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    If you would like help setting up Retroarch I can gladly give you a hand , its very easy to setup and once its done its pretty much set it and forget it.
    If you could that would be awesome! does it have means of upscaling aswell? (Not entirely bothered by it but just curious)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    63fps for NTSC games
    53 for PAL games

see http://psxdatacenter.com/ for more settings

atleast in ePSXe not sure for ZSNES

or switch to Retroarch if you like that does PSX and SNES as well as tons of other retro systems the systems are aimed at accuracy using only open source emulators mostly set up to just run
    On my display in emulator and on Fraps it tells me 30fps on Silent Hills (But the emulator hovers around 60-59.8 etc)

should i set a 63hz Resolution?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mxoagn View Post
    If you could that would be awesome! does it have means of upscaling aswell? (Not entirely bothered by it but just curious)

On my display in emulator and on Fraps it tells me 30fps on Silent Hills (But the emulator hovers around 60-59.8 etc)

You can upscale the internal resolution with the Mednafen PSX core now which is awesome, You also have tons of visual choices thanks to the deep shader options in Retroarch.

You can "shader stack" to get the absolute desired look you want and can save your configuration to a custom shader preset which saves alot of time and hassle.

Regarding the FPS issue you can see the games native FPS by turning on the show FPS option in Retroarch.
    Last edited by Warrior; 24th-March-2016 at 22:52.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    You can upscale the internal resolution with the Mednafen PSX core now which is awesome, You also have tons of visual choices thanks to the deep shader options in Retroarch.

You can "shader stack" to get the absolute desired look you want and can save your configuration to a custom shader preset which saves alot of time and hassle.

Regarding the FPS issue you can see the games native FPS by turning on the show FPS option in Retroarch.
    Sounds a lot better and a lot more reliable than ePSXe! Do you mind helping me out? I have a steam account if that helps?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds a lot better and a lot more reliable than ePSXe! Do you mind helping me out? I have a steam account if that helps?
    I can help you in real time via my preferred instant messaging protocol, XMPP.

You can use pidgin to access it very easy and no obnoxious sign up like everything else.

Il PM you the details.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't think that would change anything, so no

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR