Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 for PS2 emulation

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS3 for PS2 emulation

hello all,

I have opportunity to purchase for little money this model of PS3,

CECHC03 from March 2007 - 60GB

from what i can see online this model says it supports software emulation for PS2.

This may be a stupid question as i think the above is self explanatory but to be sure,

Will i be able to load up PS2 ROMS/ISOS to the HDD and play them on this model of PS3?

Also, can i play ROMS/ISOS of PS3 games loaded on the the HDD also?

any and all replies appreciated,

thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hello all,

I have picked up the above mentioned PS3, i have also acquired a PS2.

I have not had any response the the question i asked above which i can only assume the reason as being the answers have already been provided elsewhere on the forum.

I do recall seeing a thread entitled 'PS2 softmodding' also in the recent past.

Can anyone either offer me some guidance on my question above, and what softmodding a PS2 is, or, post links to thread where this has already been explained saving anyone going over it again.

Appreciate any assisstance and help.

Thanks.

Or as we say in my native language,

Slán go fóill, pronounced phonetically -'Slawn gu foil' - (Bye for now)

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PS3 I would not know as I never hacked or chipped my PS3 I only play retail on it due to the system still being an active one, but google or youtube should be able to be of some help

PS2 softmodding you are possibly talking about my guide at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80570 that is mostly aimed at the ESR method via freeMCboot but other methods can be added once you follow the guide so you can add network streaming and USB HDD (note that USB loading is very slow and most games lag with it), if you are using an older model PS2 you can also use an internal HDD (if you buy one and the Network adaptor) you just add the loader to FreeMCboot

The softmod runs mostly from an 8MB memcard, so there will be less save space available, though you can run most programs from USB for use with FreeMCboot and saves can be backed up to USB, best method is from Codebreaker that can be ran from USB, I have a guide up for that also as it depends if the USB storage device is directly compatible with Codebreaker or not to the method used, but even with USB storage that is not, you can still backup to it

ESR lets you boot DVD backups (CD backups are not included but most CD games can be converted to DVD, just not all of them) this lets you do this with no swap trick and games will auto start with a small loader screen, though to do this the DVD must first be patched though (that tricks the PS2 into recognising the DVD as a DVD Video avoiding the RED screen informing you that it is not a PS2 disc [more accurately it is not a retail disc]) you may need a swap trick to install FreeMCboot in the first place though, depending on how you first install FreeMCboot

Asides from PS2 exclusive games I use my Xbox more for games of that time, though I do still use a PS2 Pad with it via a convertor
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-February-2016 at 08:39.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    PS3 I would not know as I never hacked or chipped my PS3 I only play retail on it due to the system still being an active one, but google or youtube should be able to be of some help

PS2 softmodding you are possibly talking about my guide at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80570 that is mostly aimed at the ESR method via freeMCboot but other methods can be added once you follow the guide so you can add network streaming and USB HDD (note that USB loading is very slow and most games lag with it), if you are using an older model PS2 you can also use an internal HDD (if you buy one and the Network adaptor) you just add the loader to FreeMCboot

ESR lets you boot DVD backups (CD backups are not included but most CD games can be converted to DVD, just not all of them) this lets you do this with no swap trick and games will auto start with a small loader screen, though to do this the DVD must first be patched though (that tricks the PS2 into recognising the DVD as a DVD Video avoiding the RED screen informing you that it is not a PS2 disc [more accurately it is not a retail disc]) you may need a swap trick to install FreeMCboot in the first place though, depending on how you first install FreeMCboot
    Thanks for the reply, i will research youtube for using downloaded ROMs with the PS3.

I will look over the link you posted also to the PS2 thread, much appreciated.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi,

I have my network adapter for PS2 on its way today.

I have read that only certain HDD drives are best to use with it and that western digital are not the greatest, can anyone offer what is best brand is to use with it?

Another question i have now is,

I have purchased the PS3 i mentioned above & it is backwards compatible emulating PS2, is it possible to interface a HDD with the PS3 in the same way we can with the PS2 seeing as it is backwards compatible and run all PS2 games on PS3 from HDD? By using the same tools that are used on the PS2, FreeMcBoot etc?

I am guessing it would be important to communicate that the firmware has been updated on the unit to 4.75, would this present an issue seeing as it is still running PS2 games?

Sorry for all the questions but i dont like to proceed with anything until i am 100% sure on what i am doing so i dont make any critical mistakes.

thanks for you help.
    Last edited by Tetrimino; 23rd-February-2016 at 07:57.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

WD drives are great but not all work with the PS2, the same applies to all brands

ps2drives.x-pec.com

Use the above to find a drive that works

Not exactly the same on a PS3 no, it works a lot differently and you would not be using homebrew loaders directly but official ones instead, you can run from HDD on the PS3 though, you make it into a PSN version (known as a PS2 Classic) I believe and you don't even need a PS3 that can play PS2 CD/DVD's to do that as all PS3's can play PS2 and PSX games from PSN

Like I said not modded my PS3 in any way though

What you are looking for then is to convert a PS2 ISO into a PS2 Classic, you can always google or youtube search PS2 ISO to PS2 Classic and it should show a few hints/guides
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-February-2016 at 08:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the link, I will check over the brands today before I pick one up.

Can you offer your wisdom on the PS3 question, don't want the thread to stray of topic (I know your the moderator and are supposed to be saying that to me so I apologise If I offend you) , would it be possible to utilise the same tools that make PS2 use ROM's from HDD on a PS3 that has PS2 emulation capability?

Bearing in mind the firmware has been updated to 4.75, what do you think, has it been done or if not in theory could it be?

thanks for your help again, much appreciated.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I edited PS3 stuff in the above post

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post

What you are looking for then is to convert a PS2 ISO into a PS2 Classic, you can always google or youtube search PS2 ISO to PS2 Classic and it should show a few hints/guides
    Thanks very much again, I will research this also and post back here when I have success.

Don't want to go off topic here but the PS2 softmod thread is a closed thread.

I need to ask a few questions,

I copied all the text in your posts on that thread to a simple text document, printed it off & read through all, I have your 32 step guide printed off, but to summarise let me know if this is the general drift,

1. I get a copy of FreeMcBoot iso and copy it to FAT32 formatted USB stick - (do I just copy it to the stick as the iso?, I have copy of FMB 1.8b iso, I read that 1.9 is better for playing from HDD??)
    2. I burn a copy of Ulaunch to DVD using Imgburn - (where do I go for a copy of Ulaunch that is know to work with the above copy of FMB I have or with 1.9 if that is the one I should use??)
    3. Launch Ulaunch from DVD & install FMB from USB stick to memory card.
    4. Once complete after following the 32 step guide, power down, power up & use FreeMcBoot to load games directly from HDD.

Does that sound about right??

thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 25th-March-2016 at 02:34. Reason: merged posts

Thanks

Or you can see if someone nearby already has freemcboot and ask them to copy it over to one of your memory cards, and as i am a shutin with little to no resources, i just asked someone to buyy and mail me a memory card they put freemcboot on for 10 dollars. had a blast for about a year.
    Walk your own path, let no one tell you what is good for you, what is good or evil, these are decisions we all need to come to as individuals, finding and traveling our paths is our only reason to exist. be true to yourself, no other can interfere with this, but its as easy as walking.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, in most PS3 models, yes you can - just be sure that you had looked up information about any and all models before purchasing a PS3. Always check the models and research them before buying.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by leeman27534 View Post
    Or you can see if someone nearby already has freemcboot and ask them to copy it over to one of your memory cards, and as i am a shutin with little to no resources, i just asked someone to buyy and mail me a memory card they put freemcboot on for 10 dollars. had a blast for about a year.
    Thanks for reply, I have done exactly that, had card provided with OPL, HDD Loader, SMS, Ulaunch etc etc.

Have 60gb of games loaded up already, another 15gb currently on my USB waiting to go over to HDD this weekend.

Can the memory card with this on it now be copied from one to the other on my PS2 in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by The Researcher View Post
    Well, in most PS3 models, yes you can - just be sure that you had looked up information about any and all models before purchasing a PS3. Always check the models and research them before buying.
    I had option to buy this working model for €20, researching all info about beforehand was irrelevant as it was going to be bought at that price regardless.

I haven't gone near it yet to emulate PS2 or PS1, I am hoping when I get time to load up all my PS2/PS1 roms onto one drive & use this console alone.
    What I have owned to date.

Sinclair ZX spectrum, Atari 2600, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Sega Master system, NES, SNES, Sega Mega drive, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Playstation 3

What I am emulating,

KEGA, MAME, Nestopia, Mupen ++, PJ64, 1964, NullDC, DEMUL, ePSXe, PCSX2, DeSmuMe.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tetrimino View Post

I had option to buy this working model for €20, researching all info about beforehand was irrelevant as it was going to be bought at that price regardless.

I haven't gone near it yet to emulate PS2 or PS1, I am hoping when I get time to load up all my PS2/PS1 roms onto one drive & use this console alone.
    As in jailbreaking and then installing an emulator onto the PS3? That could work.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Researcher View Post
    As in jailbreaking and then installing an emulator onto the PS3? That could work.
    The way I was approaching it was to buy it as it was a bargain, then look to see what was possible to do with it.

From Zorlons post above, PS2/PS1 converted to PSN classics will all work, and from a little research, using multiman will allow PS3 ROMS also to be run from external USB drive.

I am hoping to have a 1TB external drive and run all PS1/2/3 games from that.
    What I have owned to date.

Sinclair ZX spectrum, Atari 2600, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Sega Master system, NES, SNES, Sega Mega drive, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Playstation 3

What I am emulating,

KEGA, MAME, Nestopia, Mupen ++, PJ64, 1964, NullDC, DEMUL, ePSXe, PCSX2, DeSmuMe.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Once you have a PS2 FreeMCBoot Memcard you can do what you want in the way of making another one

I have 3 in total in case one or the other stops working for any reason, you can run the install process anyway and make a memcard just for your system as any you get another user to make will be set to work on all versions of the PS2 (rather those PS2 versions it does work with) not just yours, overall it will save a bit of space

uLaunch can be used to copy from one to the other, but remaking the card is quicker and more reliable at the end of the day

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]