Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repaired XBOX has UnleashX

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Repaired XBOX has UnleashX

I sent my classic XBOX in for repairs. They said the MoBo was shot so offered to replace it for $20 and the old console "for parts". At the store, they bring out 3 different XBOXs until we get one that works. cash, change, receipt. I get home and look at the system Memory and find "Linux Installer" "Splinter Cell" and "UnleashX" on the system HDD. Yet it booted up in standard XBOX dash.

- So how do I access the UnleashX Dash and does this mean the system has been softmodded? -

I'm thinking they used it to put parts from different XBOXs together to get one working unit, and then disabled the UnleashX to keep it legit. But if it is already modded and good to go they may have saved me a bit of work.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    I sent my classic XBOX in for repairs. They said the MoBo was shot so offered to replace it for $20 and the old console "for parts". At the store, they bring out 3 different XBOXs until we get one that works. cash, change, receipt. I get home and look at the system Memory and find "Linux Installer" "Splinter Cell" and "UnleashX" on the system HDD. Yet it booted up in standard XBOX dash.

- So how do I access the UnleashX Dash and does this mean the system has been softmodded? -

I'm thinking they used it to put parts from different XBOXs together to get one working unit, and then disabled the UnleashX to keep it legit. But if it is already modded and good to go they may have saved me a bit of work.

Sounds like the system has been modded at some point, don't delete the installer. How do you know what is on the HDD? Can you FTP or boot backup discs?

Thanks
    EP Points

I think the softmod installer files are on the hard drive (Visible through the save data manager). Given the fact it's saying Splinter Cell, I'd hazard a guess that you'll need Splinter Cell to access it.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    I think the softmod installer files are on the hard drive (Visible through the save data manager). Given the fact it's saying Splinter Cell, I'd hazard a guess that you'll need Splinter Cell to access it.

I meant how does he know UnleashX is on the HDD? But yeah, it's a 5 minute job if he gets a copy of Splinter Cell.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Like I said, it launched in classic XBOX dash, I went into memory, selected the XBOX HDD and UnleashX is the last item listed there.

I don't know how I would FTP with standard dash. What do you mean by "boot a backup disc?" Are you talking about burning a game and launching it?
    Last edited by skullpoker; 16th-December-2015 at 18:54.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's normally Splinter Cell and Linux Installer isn't it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

Just need to get a "black label" copy of Splinter Cell and you can softmod it again.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh sweet. I can probably get that Thursday.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shame you can't tell how big the HDD is just yet

The Xbox was the best console for an emulation machine asides from PC (Wii has taken over though) the only thing I never did like is the pads but for emulation and a few xbox games you can use a PS2 to Xbox converter (I say some xbox games because the PS2 pad will act as if it disconnects with some games)

You will want to get yourself a crossover cable or alt method to FTP to the beast at some point as running from DVD is all well and good but the first thing to go on an Xbox is the DVD drive but once hacked you don't need a DVD drive, even for re-hacking you don't need a drive as long as you backup the HDD key that can be used to hack an xbox other ways or just replace the HDD with a large one

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Shame you can't tell how big the HDD is just yet
    It should be the default size as it is a refurbished XBOX set back to default dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    You will want to get yourself a crossover cable or alt method to FTP to the beast at some point as running from DVD is all well and good but the first thing to go on an Xbox is the DVD drive but once hacked you don't need a DVD drive, even for re-hacking you don't need a drive as long as you backup the HDD key that can be used to hack an xbox other ways or just replace the HDD with a large one
    A Router and Cat5 cable should work, right? I already have that. As for backing up the EEPROM, I can store that on my PC in some form so that should be fine. I would also keep a zipped copy on my phone SD card just in case. I just bought a physical copy of Morrowind, since that is so amazing on the XBOX as compared to PC. There aren't many games I would want for it otherwise.

How is it running from the HDD? I heard PS2 runs games much faster from their optical drive than other forms of storage. Is XBOX better for that?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Morrowind runs fine from HDD, there are even some PC mods that were converted to Xbox I can't recall if there's a difference between running from disc or HDD but avoid using the optical drive as much as possible as they die pretty easily now.

Yes using 2x cat5 cables and a switch or router/switch works well.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

HDD provides faster load times and smooth playing both FMV and in-game

I provided a bunch of 480p fixes but those only apply to those with component cables
    I also provided a bunch of HDD fixes for a few games that normally can't run from HDD, both black screen fixes and dirty disc fixes as well as filename fixes as the Xbox HDD format has it's own limitations, although it is a normal HDD it is not formated in a standard PC method so limits on file name length and characters used in file names

P.S. I also have the retail version of morrowind but ended up just playing from HDD using the Game of the Year version that includes a few extra quests missing from the normal version

The stock HDD is rather small to start with about 8GB if I remember correctly

Personally I had a 250GB drive in my Xbox then replaced that again with a 750GB drive, the biggest IDE drive I could get but you can fit a SATA drive in with a small IDE to SATA board (but note that not all drives will work, I can pull up a list for those at some point though providing the site that has the list up is still up that is)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Retail goty ftw. More than just a few extra quests

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Is there a guide around for "How to get a game from Disc on to your XBOX"? I got it modded with UnleashX.