Thread: Japanese SCPH-5500 with MM3 Chip plays in BLACK & WHITE

Thanks

Default Japanese SCPH-5500 with MM3 Chip plays in BLACK & WHITE

Hi,

Was hoping someone could assist with this problem I am having as it is driving me up the wall.

I modded an SCPH-5500 with an MM3 chip. In order to play NSTC-U games I have to patch them or the extra level of security (in Jap models 3000 and up) will not load the backups.

It too me a while to figure the above out but I just keep hitting brick walls.

After learning about the region patching, US games are loading up fine but are displaying black and white unfortunately.

Did I miss something while modding the console?
    Will using a PAL <-> NTSC converter fix the issue?
    Can I patch the region patched games to fix color some how? I know there are PAL patching utilities that can do this. My issue here is I already have a region patch so not sure if it will work.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Not sure about modchip types for PSX tbh, I really can't recall what I have in my consoles (yes, several) now Pretty sure they're all stealth type but the setup in my SCPH-1000 is the oldest (it was my first console and it's Japanese). I think that console may have needed a colour fix but I'm not completely sure about that now, also this is going right back to when I only had a CRT tv that was PAL only (PAL is the standard where I live). All region games work ok on my consoles using multi region tv now though (although I can't test the Japanese one as it has a dead laser, don't need to test it as it always worked ok with a PAL tv).

As you're NTSC and I assume you would be using a multi region capable tv I don't know why you would need any sort of colour fix.
    The console shouldn't display black and white...unless, as you say, something has been overlooked. But I can't guess what

You shouldn't need a PAL/NTSC converter. You're not using anything PAL from what I understand.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I sounds like it was wired up wrong for you to have to region patch games

My mod chip in my PSone was the same so I have to patch the region, not a big issue though

I got round the black and white thing originally by patching the display to PAL but this will cause issues with some games making them run out of sync because my Console was PAL and I was forcing NTSC games to run in PAL mode i.e. changing the frame rate from 30 to 25 (60Hz to 50Hz) so the games had been running at the wrong speed

A better way for me anyway was a SCART cable that can handle both NTSC (60Hz) and PAL (50Hz) displays correctly on a PAL TV (do not know if NTSC TV's can use SCART though, if it can go for it) it is either that or grab a TV that can handle both 50Hz as well as 60Hz

If you want to go with patching or have little choice if the other options are not a viable option, you can test before hard patching the display, just grab import player lite from http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80512 that can force games to display in NTSC or PAL (60Hz or 50Hz)

P.S. the display patchers are also located there PAL4U and Zapper 2000 both patch both ways if I remember correctly

Region patching just changes the boot code
    Display patching just changes the display output (It only deals with changing 50Hz to 60Hz and vice versa)

Import Player can do both but then the games will need to be booted via the disc, that will work for those games you have burned already and will give you a chance to play those

If you are playing NTSC/U games and the display is still black & white then maybe Import Player is the best option but Japanese and North American games both display in NTSC so as far as I know should both display the same it should only be PAL games that would have issues running at a different FPS/Hz

As you have only mentioned playing NTSC video mode games, I am not clear on if you are having the video display issues with PAL games or just NTSC/U games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-December-2015 at 10:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Already try to use RGB cable?