Thread: Chipped PSX problem running games

Thanks

Default Chipped PSX problem running games

So I've been using McBoot 1.8b on slimline PS2 to run my copied PS1 games for a long time. I recently found my old chipped PS1 but the games I've always used with my PS2 slim don't work on the console.

Is there a different method of burning games when it comes to playing them on PS1 or should they work on both systems?
    Last edited by pentaynt; 14th-October-2015 at 12:44.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

There are different sorts of chips for PSX. Many of the really old ones can't deal with certain games because of anti-modchip copy protection. Later stealth type chips should work with just about any game as long as the media is ok.

But the other thing is, because the console is so old the laser might be dead or dying.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Should work on both

Infact should work best on the PSX with a mod chip as all tracks are read correctly but with a swap trick some tracks may not be recognised correctly

As above though some copy protected games may have issues depending on the mod chip and the laser may be in such a poor state that CD-R reading is just not possible or will read them poorly

High grade media plus burning at the slowest possible speed is the key to high quality CD-R backups lower quality media can cause issues including unreadable media by a PSX burning is also a huge factor (the actual speed depends on the burning hardware (so slowest speed varies between machines so back in the day 4x was recommended and did work for most users but it was also a false statement as for those with burning hardware that ranged from 1x to 4x, 4x would fail them with 1x being the best burning speed) anyway the hardware's lowest burning speed = higher quality burning and the hardware's fastest speed always = lower quality burns that the hardware itself may be able to read but other readers like the PSX may fail or struggle reading)

P.S. the mod chip may still be region locked, something that can be bypassed either with Import Player (a CD-R that can be burned) or by patching the games before burning (that has nothing to do with video out so video patching is not what I am talking about)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-October-2015 at 12:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR