Thread: Unable to play a game on multiple emulators.

Thanks

Default Unable to play a game on multiple emulators.

I have never used a Sony Playstation, so I didn't know what to expect. A friend recently recommended the game Blazing Dragons and suggested using an emulator to play. I usually have no problem emulating computer games, such as Monkey Island, but this PSX emulation is really challenging, and frustrating.

So far I have tried four different emulators, none of them will work. I am using Windows 7. I could really use some help at this point. The first thing I did was to get the game. It came with a .cue and a .bin file. (I also got a separate copy of the game, a .ccd file, but no emulator has been able to load that one so far.)

First, I tried ePSXe. The game file plays, but the game window cannot be minimized, then maximized again. If I click the icon in the taskbar to maximize, it just turns to a black screen and the game never reappears. This game is longer than one sitting, so I need to be able to take a break and say, go to bed once in while. I guess this problem could be obviated if I could restart the emulator and take up where I left off... except that the game does not save. Supposedly you can press F1 to save, but it just does not work.

I tried PSXfin. This program won't even start because of an error that I am missing a certain dll file. I looked into rectifying this and the solutions include reinstalling drivers, reinstalling DirectX, reinstalling your OS, etc. Sorry but no, I'm not going to do any of that just to play a computer game!

Next, I tried PCSXR. The game loads and behaves normally, but all of the talking is cut short. Hard to describe, but... suppose I click on a character to talk to them. The voice in the game will begin "Wha-" and then abruptly stop. The animation and cut scenes are the same way; after a second or two they are abruptly truncated and it skips to the next animation sequence, which is also cut short, etc, until you have control of the cursor again (at which point it behaves normally.) Now in many games that would be a great boon, but almost the whole point of this game is the dialogue and the voices (Terry Jones.)

Finally, I tried PSXeven, and the game starts up just fine, and plays all of the animation and voices....at triple speed. Really, it's like watching a video on fast-forward. This includes animations of walking from one side of the room to the other, and cutscenes -- everything except using the cursor. Unplayable for the same reason as listed above.

So I've checked online extensively at various help forums (there are not many) and these issues are not covered or discussed. Frankly, I'm getting tired of the whole business. I just want an emulator that works. I want to load the game, save it, and be done with it all. I'm really shocked at how lousy these emulators are, or perhaps the game file is. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Alt Enter = full screen for ePSXe same to take it out of full screen or you can set the res for windowed play to be bigger, default should be 640x480 but you can change that, though recommend you keep the aspect at 4:3 so multiples of 320x240 e.g. 640x480=2x that 960x720=3x that and 1280x960=4x that ect ect, stretching to 16:9 is not the greatest look

You can always set it to run in fullscreen from the start also just look in the graphics plugin settings

Hint for closing ePSXe always hit ESC (to take you back to the gui) then use the X to close it, it you don't and instead hit the X or close the emulator another way while the game screen is still up, the emulator will still be running even though you closed the game screen

P.S. if it is point n click games that you like then you may want to try SCUMMVM that plays tons of them, though not the above game
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2015 at 07:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR