Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to play GBA/GBC/NES etc. on my DS?

Thanks

I'm interested in being able to play my GBA, GBC, GB, NES (maybe snes and genesis) roms on my DS. What is my best option for doing this? I hear a lot about the R4 being awesome, but I haven't heard it being capable of playing all these types of roms, unless I'm wrong?
    Last edited by pote; 25th-June-2007 at 18:50.

Thanks

There are already emulators in the works for the R4 and M3 Simply to run other system's games on the DS. I know there is a GB/GBC emulator for it called LameBoy (named after an actual PC GB/GBC emulator) that is coming along very well. I've tried all the old Pokemon games on it and there are only a few things that seem to be wrong with it such as video and sound bugs and it's missing the RTC feature for Diamond and Crystal but other then that it seems to work very well.

I know there is a GBA emulator in the works but I haven't seen too much info on it. I'm also not sure how popular it is going to be since you can still play GBA games on the DS by using a slot-2 flash card.

As for any other emulator, I'm going to have to do some digging to find out. In the meantime you can always use Google and see what you can find. That's what I do when I look for things anyway.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

The end of the world as we know it. Strangely, I feel fine.
    Thanks

I suggest you buy a psp or a gp2x. Seriously worth the investment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    I suggest you buy a psp or a gp2x. Seriously worth the investment.
    Buying a PSP might not necessarily be too many people's problem, it's modding it to run homebrew which you don't have to do with the NDS. The only mod that has ever come out for the NDS is a firmware hack to make the DS boot DS software from the GBA slot without the need for a Passme device but it's not a required thing like it is with the PSP. I personally don't want to support Sony anymore then I have to to get what I want.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

The end of the world as we know it. Strangely, I feel fine.
    Thanks

Then a gp2x. It's what I have. I suggested psp because it can do n64 and ps1 emulation better. I'm pretty sure gp2x is better for gba.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    Then a gp2x. It's what I have. I suggested psp because it can do n64 and ps1 emulation better. I'm pretty sure gp2x is better for gba.
    yeah gba emulation is solid on the gp2x now, almost every game that I've tried runs flawlessly.

Thanks

The gp2x sounds like an interesting idea. How about the M3 for the DS? I've been doing some research and that seems to be a good idea (though I don't see a built-in SNES emulator for it...Can I install an SNES emulator to it?) I assume the slot-2 version is what I'd need. Anyone here have an M3?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pote View Post
    The gp2x sounds like an interesting idea. How about the M3 for the DS? I've been doing some research and that seems to be a good idea (though I don't see a built-in SNES emulator for it...Can I install an SNES emulator to it?) I assume the slot-2 version is what I'd need. Anyone here have an M3?
    yeah you can install whatever emulator you want to it, but by far the ds is the worst hand held out there for emulation. Not to stop you from getting a m3 or anything.

Thanks

What's so horrible about DS emulation?

Thanks

What's so horrible about DS emulation?
    Has the lowest resolution screen out of the gp2x and psp which means scaling!! slowest specs and such. i didn't say it was horrible though.

Edit: anyways on the left menu keep scrolling down and you will see a nice big list of available emulators for the ds

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/

Thanks

So if I get an M3 or something, the compatibility of the roms will be based on the emulator being used, not the M3 cart itself, correct?

Thanks

The only thing wrong with NDS emulation is that it hasn't been perfected yet mostly because of the recent release of slot-1 devices several years after then NDS' release while other system's like the PSP have been hack shortly after release forcing the devs to update the firmware on newer versions and forcing the emu community to come up with new ways to get around them. With the new slot-1 devices for the NDS the only issues I've seen is with wifi support where newer systems are blocking homebrew access to the wifi feature but unlike Sony, Nintendo isn't forcing people to update their firmware.

The only reason the PSP has a larger screen is because Sony released as a multimedia device where the NDS is made for games, nothing more. Sure the PSP can do a whole lot more then the NDS as far as multimedia and emulation (mostly due to it's enhanced hardware) but I don't see too many people getting the PSP for it's games. Most just use it as a multimedia player or hack it to play games from other systems while the NDS has new games released for it all the time that people still play and these flash card are helping to get more people to play NDS games that can't afford them.

Ok I think I'm done ranting for now . (I hate Sony if you haven't notice. The PS2 was their last "good" system IMHO and I don't want to fund their want to make new forms of copy protection any more.)

[EDIT]
    So if I get an M3 or something, the compatibility of the roms will be based on the emulator being used, not the M3 cart itself, correct?
    Pretty much although with so many people trying to support these emulators and since they're only coding for one set of hardware it won't be long before they are finally perfected.
    Last edited by Haldrie; 22nd-June-2007 at 17:17.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haldrie View Post
    The only reason the PSP has a larger screen is because Sony released as a multimedia device where the NDS is made for games, nothing more. Sure the PSP can do a whole lot more then the NDS as far as multimedia and emulation (mostly due to it's enhanced hardware) but I don't see too many people getting the PSP for it's games. Most just use it as a multimedia player or hack it to play games from other systems while the NDS has new games released for it all the time that people still play and these flash card are helping to get more people to play NDS games that can't afford them.
    i didn't say anything about screen size, i said resolution.

Thanks

Okay here's the thing. The M3 is a flash cart for the GBA, so you aren't actually emulating GBA, you are just kinda like fooling the NDS into thinking that you've put an actual GBA cartridge in slot-2 (which is the GBA slot of NDS), so there is no question of emulation in this case at all. M3 I think will play all the GBA games you throw at it in your DS so if you are interested in playing GBA games on your NDS, then you should go ahead with it.

Also, AFAIK getting a M3 will also open doors to booting GBA homebrew on your NDS, which might include an SNES emulator (although I don't know much about it)
    Last edited by Kazekage Gaara; 22nd-June-2007 at 17:34.

| LG OLED G1 65-Inch | Ryzen 5 5600x @ 4.75Ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming | Zotac RTX 3080 Ti Amp Extreme Holo 12GB GDDR6X | WD Black SN850 1TB | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz | Lian Li Galahad 240 AIO | ASUS ROG Strix 850W Gold | Xbox One Wireless Controller | Nintendo Switch (Atmosphere) |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    i didn't say anything about screen size, i said resolution.
    ...well it has a 4:3 resolution which is the same as home cosole's so why does it have to be scaled?
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel