Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VBA: How do I make 128kb sized saves?

Thanks

Guess what? When i try to restore the save that you gave to me, Gba Backup does it, but when I start playing the actual game, the cartridge still loads the old save, the one i backupped from the cartridge.

I honestly think that the problem is not in the saves, but, somehow, the problem is in the rom itself, the one from the cartridge. At least, i guess, since the size of this ruby rom is 32 mb, while the rom i took from Pokemon Sapphire is only 16 MB. But again, i don't know crap about how VBA technically works, so it's just a wild guess.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just use pre-dumped roms as the save I made you is perfect

I'm not big with Pokemon but not all games can have saves backed up and restored, one problem game for me back in the day was Zelda, the one with 4-swords, backing up and restoring to the original cart via action Replay I was using at the time didn't work for restoring but backed up just fine

A GBA flash kit would work wonders... P.S. how are you backing this up anyway, what are you using to back the save data up

P.S. the rom size for both Pokemon should be exactly 16.0MB including all revisions

again what are you dumping with??? can't you just use that to play Pokemon or does it not support RTC

EDIT even better do you have 2 or more GBA's and a link lead plus a single flash kit

I ask because you can run the e-Reader plus a e-Card via a flash kit, it works much the same as emulation all you do is name the card save data the same as the e-Reader rom, or the Rom to the same name as the e-Card whatever takes your fancy, plus there are tons of Pokemon e-Cards
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-August-2013 at 15:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I use the Gba Backup Tool, for NDS. It's an homebrew for NDS flashcard.

About buying a flashcard for the Gba, it's just too much for a pokemon. Plus, i don't even know which ones are good or where to find em.

In the end, i know that's really odd, but the rom i backupped from the cartridge is a 32 mb one. You can check it by yourself, i uploaded it with the save, some posts ago.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh I believe you but the rom is a corrupt dump, no point talking about it

Well as you are using a DS, shame you didn't mention the type of DS flash kit, anyway you can use one of the cheaper 3 in 1 carts, that use the DS flash kit to play the games, the 3 in 1 act as a rumble pack for a few DS games that support it a Memory Pack for the DS explorer (Not worth it for that) and finally as GBA memory (as in the DS flash kit will use that to Run GBA games and saves and backup the save to the DS flash kit ect... [everything is stored on the DS kit, the 3 in 1 is temp memory])

GBA 3 in 1 are cheap enough but are not flash kits on there own they only work with DS flash kits
    GBA flash kits are not all that cheap and they are hard to come by now

P.S. the GBA has more than just Pokemon worth playing on it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-August-2013 at 11:38.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well then, the flashcard i use is a genuine iEDGE.

About GBA flashcards, could you please suggest me the best ones, and where to buy them? I'd prefer a GBA/NDS compatible one, but i really don't know what or where should i look for them.

And btw, i know very well that gba's worthy not only for pokemon.
    Last edited by Slownic; 27th-August-2013 at 09:51.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A generic one for the iEDGE you would then need a homebrew GBA loader as that kit never had official support for GBA

supercard 3 in 1
    EZ Flash 3 in 1

EZ Flash is possibly easier to find now and is the best option for you

You run a homebrew app called GBA Exploader and keep the GBA roms on your DS flash kit, GBA Exploder detects the 3 in 1 kit in slot two toe allow you to boot GBA roms from slot 1 into the slot 2 3 in 1 device

http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/ap...mx-f10382.html

I can't really advise you on where to buy anything from I have no clue as to your location

http://www.realhotstuff.hk/EZ-Flash-...Pack_p_15.html they seem to stock them

Actually these also stock GBA flash kits that may be a better option that will work both on a GBA and a DS, the 3-in-1 kits only work on a DS, but GBA flash kits do cost more

EDIT:-

I lied or so it seems the iEdge can use a GBA 3 in 1 without the GBA Exploader

GBA Temp's beginners guide is worth a quick look http://gbatemp.net/threads/beginners...h-3in1.293643/

The best 3 in 1 though for you is still the EZ Flash version.

I would guess that the iEdge has a couple of GBA options to boot GBA games from Slot 2 flash kit or a Slot 2 expansion (there should be 2 options there)

I use or rather used to use something different, a M3 Real kit with it's own branded GBA Expansion (I still have that i just don't use my DS Lite now, I use a 3DS with a DSTWO kit), before that I have had a few GBA flash kits for the GBA, 256Mbit EZFA (EZ Flash Advance (not related to EZ Flash) this had no memcard slot you had to copy games over via a USB cable connected directly to the GBA) M3 GBA Lite my first Micro SD flash kit, not the cheapest kit it was one of the most expensive ones but also the best available for compat, came with a standard GBA shaped case or you could use a DS lite shaped case on it as well, by that time I had a a DS Lite anyway.

I even used the GBA EZFA for playing DS games via a PassMe (a Supercard DS PassMe to be exact, but eventually moved onto the original R4 that was exactly the same as the M3 Simple, in-fact to make it a M3 Simple you only needed to break one small connection on the flash card board) at that time I was using the M3 GBA Lite for GBA games, when that was stolen along with my DS Lite I got the M3 Real Kit with GBa Expansion and Rumble Kit, later moved to the 3DS using an AceKard2i that eventually got blocked so onto the DSTwo that I still use now.

... enough of my flash kit history lol...
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-August-2013 at 15:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Do you think that an EZ Flash IV will do?

http://www.realhotstuff.hk/EZ-Flash-...-now_p_76.html

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup it will work both on the DS and a GBA

I don't know if that will let you use the GBA cart > DS cart link things though direct on a DS (though not a big thing, not many games could do that and DS cheats let you aquire those things anyway and vice versa on a GBA flash kit)

You will need another Micro SD for that kit as it is a stand alone flash kit, it's a better option though over all

If you happen to have 2 GBA's you can even system link em for game like Pokemon including that silly business with the eCards+eCard Reader (I don't think you can sytem link a DS with a GBA)

You can system link a single GBA to the Wii or GC and use it with GC game that support GBA link up for unlocking stuff though with the flash kit
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-August-2013 at 16:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thank you so much. Oh, btw, i'm italian, knowing my location would help me find something cheaper?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Maybe I will have a look for you, but not making any promises those things are hard to find now anyway

www.r4-r4i.nl EZ Flash 3 in 1 = The cheapest EZ Flash 3 in 1
    www.r4-r4i.nl EZ Flash IV Mini SD version Out of stock though just as well they charged the most

r4gameshop.s301.gainda.net EZ Flash 3 in 1 they have both black and white versions
    r4gameshop.s301.gainda.net EZ Flash IV Mini SD version = the cheapest EZ Flash IV

www.shopr4.co.uk EZ Flash 3 in 1
    www.shopr4.co.uk EZ Flash IV Mini SD version

Those are the ones I found, I would double check where they will ship to though, all of those have prices in euro's though, on the uk one it's an option on the right to change the currency, atleast I think you use euro, kinda lost track when they first started with this whole euro's thing

P.S. you can still use a microSD but you would need a Micro to Mini converter, for some reason I thought that one used Micro SD's my mistake

P.P.S. I have not used any of those in the past.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-August-2013 at 17:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]