Thread: epsxe crash bandicoot 2 beta sound problem

Thanks

Default epsxe crash bandicoot 2 beta sound problem

You can get the Crash Bandicoot 2 Beta here: mega.co.nz/#!MM5kjBjA!RSL4onW8_JdSBMhyh_p1wARZr9Fmr8uacfSVrry 5uj4

So the problem I have when playing this in epsxe is that the sound is AHEAD of video during the opening sequence and cutscenes.

I use the Eternal SPU 1.4 for sound, Peops Soft driver for video plugin. Every other game works fine. In pSX, this problem isn't present. But I want to use epsxe for certain reasons. How to fix this?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

set the fps to auto

you can also try ePSXe SPU core instead of the Eternal SPU

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the auto FPS thing, but it didn't work.

Then I tried changing to the epsxe spu core sound plugin and it went berserk, doing something I didn't think was possible. Now, the video FMV sequences are highly sped up (this includes the music and sounds of the video), yet they are somehow synced to other sounds.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Manually set the FTP to 50 or 49.94 if it's PAL or 60 or 59.94 if it's NTSC

I would try the 59.94 FPS first, that is presuming it is a NTSC Beta

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Manually set the FTP to 50 or 49.94 if it's PAL or 60 or 59.94 if it's NTSC

I would try the 59.94 FPS first, that is presuming it is a NTSC Beta
    Ok, I'll try that next

Nope, that didn't work, either. It sped up the music.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-June-2013 at 22:42.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Make sure FPS Limit is enabled as well, it is needed

But if 60 is too fast then try 50 and 30 possibly 25

EDIT

Just tested this with auto fps and it runs just fine... it runs at 59.94 FPS being that is it NTSC
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-June-2013 at 22:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Make sure FPS Limit is enabled as well, it is needed

But if 60 is too fast then try 50 and 30 possibly 25

EDIT

Just tested this with auto fps and it runs just fine... it runs at 59.94 FPS being that is it NTSC
    Believe it or not, it's a PAL game :O Also, it might seem to work fine, but notice the intro cutscene in the game (after choosing new game). After the guy falls down from the sky and crashes, he then lights a match and sees a crystal. You'll see that his laugh and dialogue don't match the animation.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You might of I didn't notice

But I will look again much much later

If it's PAL it detects as NTSC for some reason setting the auto FPS to around the 60 mark that no PSX PAL games use but it is a beta and possibly has not been codes for PAL output yet

I know it says Europe, but I don't believe they set the game up for the PAL region at that beta stage

Having the incorrect FPS though will make the game go out of sync, that is why for those that use real hardware I always advise against the use of PAL to NTSC codes or patches, or vice versa

EDIT nope looks in sync to me with auto FPS
    50 FPS lags and half repeats i.e. it stutters, but it's still in sync, but bad sounds
    60 FPS works rather smoothly and still in sync

P.S. this is a beta so some things may not be perfect and it may well of been aimed at the NTSC release, I don't know why but this beta is NTSC even though it is by the Europe team and the language selection is also European, it could just be that the beta is based off the NTSC version and developed for the PAL version from the US version... this does not change it being NTSC though rather than PAL though

ePSXe detects the games ID as * NTSC cdrom detected. SLU__020.39

A strange ID code but again it's a beta, you can see this yourself if you enable logs (Run>enable logs) close ePSXe and start it again, there will be a DOS like console window running as well as the main ePSXe GUI

EDIT I have a feeling you are having issues more related to the graphics plugin being set too high for your system to handle, than the game or ePSXe itself being the issue
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-June-2013 at 11:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Oh, here's the weirdest thing ever. I rolled back the epsxe version from 1.8.0 to 1.7.0, manually set the country to PAL, used the SPCH5502 bin file... and the game synced back! I don't know what's up with it, but it seems fixed now.

I even set the video plugin settings to the lowest to suit my pseudo-archaic machine, but that didn't help. This is one hell of an anomaly with epsxe.