Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vagrant Story

Thanks
    EP Points

I made it out of the dungeon, and roamed the town for a while, then quit playing it for a few weeks. After that, I just couldn't get myself to start playing it again.
    The game seems to require a lot of devotion and I wasn't really prepared to sink all my time into it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkTaster View Post
    I made it out of the dungeon, and roamed the town for a while, then quit playing it for a few weeks. After that, I just couldn't get myself to start playing it again.
    The game seems to require a lot of devotion and I wasn't really prepared to sink all my time into it.
    Don'y most games require a certain minimal level of devotion to complete or progress further in? What about VS do you think requires you to sink ALL your time into I'm curious. Because I've been playing a little bit each day and I've been enjoying it. I get to a save point, ask myself whether I wanna keep going, might get to the next save point. Call it a day. It's pretty addictive so I could see myself playing it for hours though. What do you feel kept you from it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    I just got to the Golem boss. How far into it would you say I am?

I just passed that last night.

Not bad at all. When I first started it I was reminded of dungeon mode in Ehrgeiz.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I just passed that last night.

Not bad at all. When I first started it I was reminded of dungeon mode in Ehrgeiz.
    Playing games at the same time as other forum members is fun!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh cool! I read some review somewhere that said one of its cons was that it was short. Shows that they know.
    I would estimate the second playthrough has about 50% more map than the first. These areas have much harder puzzles, with some that you can die simply from falling too much.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh wow okay was looking through the .pdf of the Bradygames guide. I thought the whole game took place in the Lea Monde underground dungeon-y environment. Looks like there will be multiple environs after all!

Thanks

I wasn't a fan of the game. It looked impressive, but fell short for me on quite a few things. I expected too much out of it based on it's initial look. There was way too much backtracking for my liking and the story isn't as great as people have posted before. It's a lot of soap opera drama that makes sense in the moment, but when you think about it, seems out of place and absurd. If you get past those two things, which are standards for Japanese games like this, then it's good.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh wow okay was looking through the .pdf of the Bradygames guide. I thought the whole game took place in the Lea Monde underground dungeon-y environment. Looks like there will be multiple environs after all!
    Yeah I just beat some dragon and made it to this town. Got my ass handed to me too because I apparently don't have any weapons strong against humans. Gonna have to peek at a guide to learn the assembling/weapon training mechanics and such.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

God dammit. I'm stuck on the dragon. How did you beat him Zaladane? The guide tells me to craft a weapon using Dragonite but I don't have any. What weapon did you use? The spirit surge spell doesn't work on hardly anything I want it to. I just keep spamming the "Rending Gale" break arts move.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Human>Beast>Undead>Phantom>Dragon>Evil

When you attack human, beast and undead might drop while human might increase. Ideally you will use three weapons: one for human and phantom, one for beast and dragon, and and one for undead and evil. The elements are similar, with Fire<>Water Earth<>Air Light<>Darkness, but any of fire, earth, air, or water might lower it's opposite, and might lower Light and Darkness too.

Here's the Gamefaqs ultimate weapon guide, you will need to be on the second playthrough to get all the training dummies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips. Any on beating the dragon though? XD

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try starting with a crossbow equipped to see what areas of the dragon are weakest. Usually head/neck, sometimes better to chase his tail. Gather info in the fight. Note that you can slow the enemies movement by doing enough damage to his legs, which isn't very useful unless he's out-turning you.

Also, you can combo infinitely but Risk makes you take/deal more damage while lowering your hit/evade %. Higher number of combo raises risk faster and adds damage, so your Risk should be maxed out by a 8-9 hit combo. If you keep it going you will pump out the most damage without giving the enemy a chance to strike. If your attack misses, you can still combo from it. With this in mind, aim for the easiest to hit area so you will do more damage by simply hitting more often.

If you miss your combo button, be ready to counter. You probably don't have many in the first playthrough, but I got one early that reduces physical damage taken by half and returns that damage to the enemy. You take more damage at high Risk so it will do more to the enemy, and save your butt.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 16th-July-2012 at 02:08.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks but what do you mean by "combos"? Are my battle abilities such as Hyper shot etc. passive ones or am I supposed to be triggering them somehow actively? I've just been hitting circle selecting a bodypart and hitting circle again while occasionally choosing my break arts move. I have a sinking feeling Im doing it wrong XD

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Human>Beast>Undead>Phantom>Dragon>Evil

When you attack human, beast and undead might drop while human might increase. Ideally you will use three weapons: one for human and phantom, one for beast and dragon, and and one for undead and evil. The elements are similar, with Fire<>Water Earth<>Air Light<>Darkness, but any of fire, earth, air, or water might lower it's opposite, and might lower Light and Darkness too.

Here's the Gamefaqs ultimate weapon guide, you will need to be on the second playthrough to get all the training dummies.
    Thanx I'll check out the guide. I've done some reading up so I think I have a bit of an idea what's going on now. This game is like the granddaddy of Demon Souls

Thanks but what do you mean by "combos"? Are my battle abilities such as Hyper shot etc. passive ones or am I supposed to be triggering them somehow actively? I've just been hitting circle selecting a bodypart and hitting circle again while occasionally choosing my break arts move. I have a sinking feeling Im doing it wrong XD
    Yeah you can set the defensive and battle ability moves to a button O,^ and square and just as you make contact when a red ! appears above your head you can hit say square and do another move and you can keep chaining it as long as it's not the same previous button, and defensive you can do the same but hit the button just as you get hit. But you have to set the moves to a button in the menu first. Hope that helps a bit.

For the dragon I used a dagger! No kidding, I didn't do a ton of damage I just went for his head whenever I could and combo'd his ass until he went down.

Thanks

It's good to know that I was just doing things wrong and the game wasn't actually as hard as it seemed. I think I should have guessed that even an action RPG can be complicated if it's made by Square. New aged games dulled my old-school RPG intuition so I'm going to have to give this a go after reading some of the tips(mainly the weapon crafting tips). I haven't been on this site for a long time so it's good to be back. I was bored so I was going to download a bunch of old Zelda games but it looks like I'll be playing Vagrant Story since I thought it was not that good of a game. I might not like it after playing but it's worth a second chance(the only reason I'm still wondering about it is that someone said that they didn't like LoD but liked it and that's one of my favorite PS1 games).