Thread: Endless trouble trying to run Tomb Raider II - Starring Lara Croft (E) [SLES-00718]

Threaded View

Thanks

Default Endless trouble trying to run Tomb Raider II - Starring Lara Croft (E) [SLES-00718]

Hi, I've recently started playing the TR games through again after about 10 years. I dont have a working PS1 anymore so the obvious solution is emulation. I've been using EPSXE for a few years so I'm pretty familiar with it and how to get things going, however, sometimes I run into a game that uses APE files, and this is where the nightmares and hours upon HOURS of messing around to no avail begin.

I've only come across ONE other game with APE files, which was Excalibur 2500 (forgot the actual number lol). After hours of faffing about I managed to find not a solution, but a workaround, which resulted in the game being COMPLETELY free of music (not what I wanted at all!).

Now with TR2, I'm getting the same problems. The game works fine, but no music (no thanks). I managed to convert the apes into wavs, then into bins so they could "apparently" be read by EPSXE, and I also got the missing CUE sheet file from the archive provided on the site (Thanks to Zorlon for the APE guide and Cue archive!). All I need to do now is run the game! I'm getting excited, I'm about to revisit some of my favourite gaming memories!.... What!? The game now just sits at a black screen permanently (with the "Analogue OFF" notification never going away) until I quit.

This is where I'm lost. I dont know what else to do, or what I'd doing wrong. The audio tracks are now BIN files which match the CUE sheet, but after doing all of this, the game simply will not run at all. I love Tomb Raider to bits, but I honestly couldn't imagine playing it without the music. It is afterall what gave the game its amazing atmosphere!

I tried running the game as mounted in D-tools, but doing it this way makes the game lag like CRAZY, so its a complete no-go.

Pretty much every game runs smooth as butter with my current setup of:-
    -EPSXE 1.80
    -Petes OpenGL2 2.9 (or the older version if not)
    -Eternal SPU 1.50
    -Running games directly rather than as mounted disc images

Basically, before changing the APES to WAVS then BINS, the game atleast used to run, but now it doesn't run at all...

Please can some1 help me out! I just want to play my old favourite games... I don't want to miss out on the music like I did with Excalibur!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by shuriken 88; 4th-April-2014 at 19:32.