Thread: [PlayStation 2] Problem booting PlayStation games burned using GNU+Linux

Threaded View

Thanks
    EP Points

Default [PlayStation 2] Problem booting PlayStation games burned using GNU+Linux

I don't know if this is the right place to ask such question, but since many GNU+Linux forums don't allow topics about burning of video game media, this forum is the best bet so far.

After a lot of search, me and my father bought a jailbroken PlayStation 2, along with some games. We also burned some PlayStation 2 games (which were in ISO image format, and were burned on DVD-Rs, using Brasero), all of those work just fine.

As you might guess: Yes, I use a GNU+Linux operating system, and I do have a PlayStation emulator (PCSX-R, to be exact). Also, besides Brasero, I also have CDRDAO. My current installation uses the GNOME 3 desktop environment, which I find to be lightweight, user-friendly, less resource intensive, and suitable for my accessibility needs, compared to others like KDE, LXDE, and XFCE, so K3B is not suitable for me.

I don't like to deviate from the default repositories. I prefer to compile things from source by following a well documented guide, or to get run-in-place binaries.

Well, enough talking about the operating system.

Output from sudo lshw -C disk, about the DVD-RAM writer:

*-cdrom
    description: DVD-RAM writer
    product: DVDRAM GH22NS50
    vendor: HL-DT-ST
    physical id: 1
    bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom
    logical name: /dev/cdrw
    logical name: /dev/dvd
    logical name: /dev/dvdrw
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    version: TN03
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

Burning PlayStation 2 games (which are in ISO image format) is not a problem for us, because we use Brasero for this task.

Due to the fact that my parents love their PlayStation classics, and I also do love some, I decided to see if our new console could run some PlayStation games. So I decided to download Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (NTSC-U), which came in ISO image format. So I bought two empty CD-Rs and used Brasero to burn the ISO image (with the slowest recording speed selected). The burning process finished with an error message which, according to some other users from another forum, is just a false error message. Anyway, when I tried to boot the PlayStation game in the PlayStation 2, I could just get to the screen where the user selects between the memory cards and such.

And before you ask: No, I didn't put the ISO image inside the CD-R (so making it a data disk with just one file), but instead, burned the ISO image using the appropriated options.

I can't remember if the burned CD-R (which had Harvest Moon: Back to Nature) worked using PCSX-R because it's been a long time since I burned it, and now, it's gone, to the trash bin.

After some days, I decided to test some PlayStation games from another site. I have previously downloaded and fully completed two games from this site, one of these being Crash Team Racing (NTSC-U), so I decided to burn said game, which came in BIN image format (I can't remember if it came with a CUE file, but I do remember visiting a CUE database to download a CUE file for it, either for comparison or just to use with the BIN image file).

Due to the fact that Brasero is said not to being able to handle BIN and CUE files as they should, I decided to use CDRDAO.

So I typed cdrdao write --device /dev/sr0 --speed 4 --eject "Crash Team Racing (U).cue", to burn Crash Team Racing on the CD-R. The burning process finished like a charm, with no errors or warnings. When I tried to boot the newly burned CD-R on the PlayStation 2, I could just get to the screen where the user selects between memory cards and such.

Due to the fact that our PlayStation 2 is jailbroken, here follows some basic information.

Modchip: Unknown (see first addendum);
    Modchip firmware: Matrix Infinity 1.93;
    PlayStation 2 type: Black, slim;
    PlayStation 2 console version: SCPH-90010;
    Console diagnosis: Off;
    PlayStation 2 browser version: 1.20;
    PlayStation 2 CD Player version: 2.00;
    PlayStation 2 PlayStation Driver version: 2.00;
    PlayStation Driver disc speed: Standard;
    PlayStation Driver texture mapping: Standard;
    PlayStation 2 DVD Player version: 3.11M.

First addendum: We are not that tech expert or clever enough to risk opening our beloved PlayStation 2 console. Also, I'm somewhat visually impaired.
    -- End of first addendum --

Here follows some information about our actual modchip firmware configuration.

PS2 screen fix: Color;
    Y screen fix: Off. (Locked);
    PSX screen fix: On;
    PSX multi disk: Off;
    MC16 patch: On;
    ATAD auto patch: On;
    Macrovision fix: On;
    Green fix: On;
    DVDVideo region: 8;
    DVD9 DL support: On;
    Boot mode: Auto. (More information about other tries regarding other boot modes can be found in the second addendum);
    Pad detect time: 2;
    Boot logo: On.

Second addendum: According to the Matrix Infinity Usage Tutorial, here follows the other boot modes, and their respective results in this case, using the burned Crash Team Racing CD-R.
    Fast: Goes where the user selects memory cards and such;
    InfMan: Idem;
    DEV1: Boots the console normally, to the point where the user has to select between the browser or the system configuration;
    DEV2: Idem;
    DVDV: Goes to a screen which asks the user to insert a PlayStation or a PlayStation 2 disc.
    -- End of second addendum --

Third addendum: By holding the Start button (that means, disabling the modchip until the next standby), then reseting the console, is not useful, as it takes me to the same screen as the DVDV boot mode.
    -- End of third addendum --

Fourth addendum: The burned Crash Team Racing CD-R worked with PCSX-R, just like a normal PlayStation game.
    -- End of fourth addendum --

Best regards, ADFENO.
    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by ADFENO; 20th-September-2013 at 03:03. Reason: Removed HTML <pre> and <em> tags, and added ends to the addendums.