Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higan/BSNES Stuttering

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Higan/BSNES Stuttering

Hi people, I have a problem with the Higan/BSNES emulator.
    The game is working at stable 60 FPS but when playing, the screen stutters, no the game itself only the screen.
    The screen it´s like this - Smooth......Stutters.......Smooth.......Stutters,. ..
    But when the screen stutters the game is still at 60 FPS and it´s working good without any lags or crackling audio.
    This happening for me also with ePSXe using Pete´s OpenGL2 plugin 2.9 (With other plugins is good).
    Why is this happening ?
    Can you help me please ?
    Thank you very much for help in advance
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS2 Chipped w/Matrix Infinity 1.99
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried changing some settings in your graphic card driver setting? (Nvidia control panel, AMD Catalyst etc.) I can't really think of any reason your game would stutter if it's showing 60FPS but I'm guessing it's not an issue related to the emulator itself.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

I doesn´t tried to change settings in graphic card driver settings yet, because I don´t know which ones or which ones can help me.
    I guess that it´s not an issue related to the emulator itself as well because it´s happening for me with ePSXe emulator using Pete´s OpenGL 2.9 plugin too, with the edgbla´s gpuBladeSoft 1.42 it´s fine.
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I'm not sure myself if it was me I would change some settings and see if it had any effect, and then try to find the source of the problem. You can also try other emulators or even other OS like linux to get things working. Linux can be run without having to be installed on your PC.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are plenty of SNES emulators BSNES though is one of those that has the more accurate emulation thing going on but that is not to say the games are any more playable or show anything differently it just means that no speed up tricks are used to optimize anything, so it's not say it's a better emulator or anything like that, though saying that there may be the odd game that plays in that, that may not in other emulators but the same can be said the other way round also

This is something that confuses a lot of users

Take MAME for example that can play tons of games as is a more accurate emulator than most other Arcade emulators, but some of the games supported by MAME are much more playable by some of the other emulators even though they are based on same source code as MAME itself and play the same games much smoother and have a more accurate look to them due to certain hacks ect to fix issues so although MAME is more accurate in emulating the original hardware the tweaks and hacks other emulators use improve on what MAME can do/could do at the time
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-May-2015 at 14:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

So I tried to change some settings in graphic card driver settings, and it doesn´t help.
    But I also found out that if I enable Synchronize Video in the emulator, the stuttering is gone but the emulator starts to fall to the 57 FPS, lag and have crackling audio.
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You might want to mention your system specs

For lag to happen it may just be a system thing, this is a highend emulator I know it is only of the SNES but it is not optimized like other SNES emulators are with it's aim to be an accurate emulation without using any sort of hacks ect to get full speed

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

My system specs -
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    CPU - Intel Xeon Quad Core E5450 - 3.00 GHz
    RAM - 4GB
    GPU - NVIDIA Geforce GT 630 - 4GB
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Now I don't even understand why any issues would happen with OpenGL2 you shouldn't have any issues at all using it, sounds like something may be wrong with your system

I presume you have the latest drivers ect for your graphics card ect.. from the official sites that is is for the card

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

After all I suggest using different emulators. You could find the source of the problem if you spend enough time eventually, but it probably wont be worth it when you can just switch to a different emulator...

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

I solved the OpenGL2 with changing some settings in my graphic card settings but when I tried that same settings for Higan, it doesn´t help.
    I have the latest drivers for my graphic card.
    I don´t want to switch to the another emulator because Higan is the most accurate SNES emulator and I love the accurate emulation and also in different emulators there´s not a shadow below the aircraft in A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol and also a lot of different games on different emulators doing problems and Higan is the only one that can play all of the official released games without issues.
    Also I don´t like the ZSNES because it doesn´t have the slowdowns when there´s lot of happening on the screen and these kind of stuff, which is happening on the original SNES.
    And also sorry for the late reply
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Lol you realy are hopeless

Just buy a snes a flash kit and a crt tv, then love the perfect reproduction slowdowns and other hickups the console had

Do not for one second think this emulator will play everything as it did on a real snes, it does not, not bad but not perfect either
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-May-2015 at 15:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Since you have solved the problem for opengl that means the issue with bsnes was not related to this one. I suggest you try to change some settings in bsnes now as the problem with bsnes now seems to be isolated to bsnes. I'm sorry that I can't help you in specifics I personally dont use bsnes.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Maybe try some of the older versions of BSNES from before they changed the name to Higan. They're still very accurate but they run better on older/less powerful systems.

Failing that just get SNES9X.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No idea if this will help but here ya go,

http://www.emucr.com/2015/05/bsnes-p...-20150519.html

its great to check emucr every now and then to see what new emulators/forks are out.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.