Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My original XBOX is having troubles reading the 55 games on the HD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijoe View Post
    If your "Chipped" (and it seems like you are!), then you're definitely NOT Softmoded. A Softmod is a Software only Mod that needs an explicit Game Save Hack (AFAIK: 007 Agent Under Fire, Splinter Cell and Mech Assault are the only known Games to work!), the Games have to be the original retail version, as opposed to say backups (duh!). And they should where possible be the original (i.e. Not the Greatest Hits (Value), Editions of those Games. The biggest "Trick" is to actually get the the Game Save File(s) onto the XBOX. Which usually evolves some kind of Controller or Cable Mod. As the Game Ports on the XBOX are basically just USB1.x Ports any way.

Thankfully you don't have to worry about any of this!

Again the best advice at the moment is to turn the XBOX on and, boot to EvoX.. (Another suggestion would be to change the Dash to something better like Avalaunch, or XBMC.) then scroll down to "System Management" press (A), then "Launch Apps from HDD" press (A), scroll down the list till you find ConfigMagic and then press (A) again. When prompted press the Start Button.

The only things you should probably note here are the:
    Unique HDD Key and the
    Current HDD unlock password + Status. (i.e. Locked or unlocked).

But really the MOST IMPORTANT thing to know is that the Master Password has been changed from whatever it was (if it ever had one!), to "TEAMASSEMBLY" < As long as you know that you can if needed use that to either lock or unlock the HDD from a PC.

Then take the now unlocked HDD out of the XBOX and format it under Windows. Assuming that your PC still supports P-ATA (IDE) that is! And fire up a CHKDSK on it.

While that's going on I'd also advise you to download and burn this to a DVD-R: Slayers EvoX Auto Installer v2.7 (Install Disc)
    With this Disc, and your Chip modded XBOX, it'll be a breeze to chuck in any 'ol HDD into it and use this Disc to setup all the correct Partitions and Files for you. I just recently used this to upgrade my XBOX HDD from a old 120GB HDD to a newer 250GB One. The process is very straight forward and simple, but it will take a while to install everything though.
    Hi Ichijoe, I actually did do the Splinter Cell softmod a while ago and used the SID game save to boot into Softmod Installer Deluxe and install the EvoX dashboard. I did this by getting an old XBOX controller and cut the wire to replace it with a USB adapter for me to transfer the saves. I do have DUOX 3 in a dual boot. I can choose to boot into EvoX or DUOX 3. So I actually wasted my time installing the softmod only just to find out that the problem is my HDD.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The custom dash should have no negative effects, you just didn't require Splinter Cell to install it, but used it anyway...

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    The custom dash should have no negative effects, you just didn't require Splinter Cell to install it, but used it anyway...
    It was the hack in Splinter Cell to be able to get to the Softmod Installer Deluxe menu to install the softmod.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah it was not needed to install the dash at all, you could of booted the Softmod installer from a DVD or even from the HDD anyway, if you had known how to copy the files over or used one of the many alt DVD installers for installing custom dash's

I like to use XBMC myself more for the extra features, but use Avalaunch as an app just for FTPing with mostly for the speed boost it gives for FTP access via Qwix (PC end software) and can ftp direct from a xbox disc image, other FTP software can be used with XBMC or any other dash, you will not get the speed boost anyway, but Filezilla is enough for any other ftp activity anyway

To replace a dash though all you do is copy over the older custom dash files, though I do not recommend you do that totally (I did but I found it easy enough to recover it back if I messed up, actually done that a number of times), but you should be able to redirect the boot to boot up the new dash instead of Evox (I don't know enough about your chip though to be able to tell you how to redirect the boot, I am on a soft mod at the moment myself)

I also would of thought even with the dual boot option the mod chip would still be active, though could be very wrong there, like I said I don't know enough about that chip.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ok, should I delete my Softmod so I can use Slayers Disk?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You don't need to delete anything just use the slayers disc if you want to use it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Zorlan is correct. Since your "Chipped" all you have to do is to download the Slayers EvoX Auto Installer v2.7 Disc. Or any of the other such Installer Discs out there, and burn it to a DVD-R. The *.iso will be way to big for a CD-R, IIRC its like 1.5GB, and most XBOXes have problems reading a DVD+R. So make sure to use only DVD-R Media!

Once you have that just press the Eject Button on the XBOX and chuck your new Disc in, and close it. The XBOX should give the boot priority to the DVD Drive, and boot to the Installer. In the event that you were late, just leave the Disc in the Drive, and cycle the power on your XBOX (i.e. To reboot it!), then it will finally boot from the DVD.

With this Disc you can both completely wipe, and format the HDD inside your XBOX. It will also setup all the proper Partitions for you too. Again the DVD Drive in the XBOX is not the fastest and its gonna take some time to install everything.

I keep saying this. But, if your prepared to wax the Drive anyway. A very simple test that you could do is to unlock the Drive, and remove it from the XBOX. Attach it (as a Slave), to your PC, then use Windows (or better the OEMs HDD Tool), to check the health of the HDD in question from the PC.

OEM Here would be IBM, Hitachi, Samsung, Maxtor and Western Digital for example. I'm fairly sure each have a DOS Tool to read back the SMART Status of their HDDs. Along with any ability to scan for any bad sectors on the HDD. Running such a Program first could potentially save you both time and money. Consequently it could also confirm that the Drive is indeed sh--, and needs to be replaced.

Thanks

Thankyou both of you. I think I have come to a solution and that is that Ichijoe has suggested to get Slayers Disk and back up everything to a temp HDD and format the HDD to Windows format and run a CHKDSK on it. Both of you and deadlegion have helped me a lot because I have tried looking for a solution for about a year! Also instead of using FileZilla and FlashFXP could I just use Quix 101?
    Last edited by Shadow989; 24th-September-2014 at 05:35.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow989 View Post
    Thankyou both of you. I think I have come to a solution and that is that Ichijoe has suggested to get Slayers Disk and back up everything to a temp HDD and format the HDD to Windows format and run a CHKDSK on it. Both of you and deadlegion have helped me a lot because I have tried looking for a solution for about a year! Also instead of using FileZilla and FlashFXP could I just use Quix 101?
    QWIX is really only for pushing... *.iso Files to the XBOX. That said however you can also use it to pull Games off of the XBOX, and save them as *.iso Files as well. But to use it you have to be on the Avalaunch Dash. It will NOT work on any other Dash (e.g. EvoX, XBMC or UiX etc... etc...)

If you have any Emulators like say RetoArch (Nintendo, PC-Engine, Sega or S0NY etc...) on your XBOX, those will have to be FTP'd separately. As QWIX only knows how to deal with XBOX Stuff.

Besides... There is no guarantee that the stuff your trying to back up even still works. So I would try to only back up the stuff that you know works first. Then where ever re-download the rest again.

I wish you luck on your attempt to recover that HDD.

Thanks

@Ichijoe, Yes, well it is very strange that over time the XBOX read less and less games. But when formatting the HDD and running a CHKDSK on it, how can Windows 7 be able to register the HDD in "My Computer"? Do I have to take the drive out of the XBOX? Anyway I downloaded FlashFXP yesterday and downloaded the unreleased Kameo: Elements of Power for the XBOX and used FlashFXP to FTP it to the XBOX. But just my luck it didn't work on the HDD. So lucky I had my softmod and used the 8gb that is still in there and FTPed Kameo to it, which finally worked! The 320GB HDD is so annoying!

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, of course you have to take the drive out of the Xbox.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

You will need the following set of Tools if you don't already have 'em.

Hardware (i.e. Hand Tools) you'll need.
    TORX-20 To remove the 6 Case Screws (4 under the Rubber Feet, 2 along the center)
    TORX-10 To remove the Drive Cage & HDD
    A PC that still has support for P-ATA (IDE) HDD's. Sadly newer PC Motherboards do NOT usually continue to support this though. (THIS SHOULD BE THE FIRST THING TO CHECK! As it really is that big of a deal!)
    DVD Burner
    A blank DVD-R Disk. 4.8GB (To burn the Slayers EvoX Auto Installer v2.7 Disc)

Software you'll need
    ConfigMagic.
    ATAPWD.exe (DOS Boot-able Disk)
    ImgBurn (To burn the Slayers *.iso File)

Optional Software Filezilla to FTP Games / Software to and from the XBOX.

ALL THE SOFTWARE LISTED HERE IS FREE!

Keeping this simple you need to tun ConfigMagic on your XBOX. Assuming that you don't have it you have to figure out how to install it either with a Crossover Cable or some other way. If this is currently not possible you could try removing the HDD and attaching it to your PC (AS A SINGLE PC-STYLE'ED INTERNAL HDD!). Then running ATAPWD.exe* from a DOS Bootable Disk (Floppy or USB). Then trying to unlock it with the Master Password "TEAMASSEMBLY" (Without ""'s!).

Now with your unlocked and removed HDD, attach it to your PC, and boot into Windows. Now either Windows will either auto-detect the HDD, or you have to help it along.... In the case of the latter (Ex: Windows 7):

Start -> Control Panel -> Administration Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management

You should see something like "Unallocated Space" to the tune of your attached HDD 320GB (IIRC). Right click on that Field, and choose to format it. (THIS WILL DESTROY WHATEVER WAS ON THE HDD! So its vitally important to backup what ever you want to first!!!)

After you have formatted the HDD under Windows you can then Right Click on the HDD again, and choose Properties -> Tools -> Check Now to run CHKDSK, under Windows 7.

Depending on the outcome... The Drive fails, then there's not much you can do, if on the other hand it passes then you can reinstall it back into the XBOX.... Close it back up again, and then use the Slayers EvoX Auto Installer Disk to rebuild that HDD again.

*In order to use ATAPWD.exe you have to be in REAL DOS (i.e. with a Windows 98 DOS Boot Disk) you can either format a real 3.5" Floppy IF YOU STILL HAVE ONE... Or you can format a USB Stick to act like one. You then need to just drop the ATAPWD.exe File onto that Disc / Stick to use it.

Thanks

@Ichijoe

1) I dont have Windows XP or a tower with it
    2) How to you insert the HDD into windows 7? Do you connect it with a crossover cable?
    3) I might be getting a new 320GB HDD soon anyway because this is too much work
    4) I learnt how to FTP

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1) Not required
    2) No you have to physically take the Xbox HDD out of the Xbox and put it inside the PC (Olde IDE ports required)
    * You might be able to just b uy an IDE port I know I have a card that has IDE on it but I have never tested this out so no idea if it will work or not.
    3) Probably a good idea (I have had issues with a 120GB HDD in the past and the same issues kept coming back even after using OEM tools to restore the drive to factory)
    4) Cool and much needed, still advisable to use avalaunch and qwix the FTP of games is much more reliable from qwix,

though if a game is provided as raw data then you would need to make an xbox iso first but qwix can do that also anyway, it also comes in handy to remove games and saves of games that you no longer wish to play
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-September-2014 at 03:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thankyou for your helpful post. So I think i will just get a new one.