Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dvd9 to dvd5, what happens exactly?

Thanks

Default Dvd9 to dvd5, what happens exactly?

Hello World,

So today I decided to burn and try out God Of War 2, since everyone says it's so great. But after I downloaded it of the site I noticed that the archive is 6.5gb, and the iso itself is 8.5gb... So I fired up google and found a bunch of tutorials on how to convert a dvd9 games to dvd5, but none of them explained exactly what happens during this process.

So thats my questions today guys, what exactly happens during the conversion process? Do I lose quality on cutscenes, does the sound get downgraded, do the bonus features(dev commentary/movies, etc.) get removed... I mean something has to go, right? As much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Depends on what game you're talking about, but yeah stuff can be removed Zorlon knows a lot about rip kits and even has some here iirc. It may be possible to just split (span) some DVD9 games across a couple of DVD5 discs never had to worry about it myself.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Like I said, I'd like to play God Of War 2, I downloaded the usa version. But I'd like to know what exactly happens to it if I convert it beforehand. Cause if there's a chance I won't like the outcome then I think I'd rather wait untill I get a network adapter(if I'll ever be able to find one) instead of wasting another dvd...
    Last edited by VIKINGS; 12th-July-2014 at 13:11.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I had a quick look and I can't see a rip kit for the game you want here (Zorlon has some other rip kits in PS2 uploads).
    But there's a PAL DVD5 version in the uploads section, the uploader says it doesn't have any save issues etc.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ar-2-DVD-5-PAL

Any probs with the links just post in there and the uploader should update them, he usually does iirc.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

90% of DVD9 to DVD5 rips rip nothing out but instead split the contents over 2 or more DVD5 discs most can be split as DVD1 = Layer 1 & DVD2 = Layer 2 so very easy to make a rip but a few are a lot more complicated to do

For GOW2 DVD1: should have the Beginning of the game to The Great Chasm
    For GOW2 DVD2: Great Chasm to the end of the game.

Once you get to The Great Chasm you need to of saved, close the console down and then boot from DVD2 and load the save

Original notes for the GOW2 kit
    Media: 2 X DVD-5 (3.99/4.09GB)
    Complete Ripping information:
    DISC1 - PART2.PAK deleted, GODOFWAR.TOC modified so that dupe files on PART2.PAK that are also on PART1.PAK are linked to PART1.PAK
    DISC2 - Title data and the last few files of PART1.PAK kept, rest deleted. GODOFWAR.TOC modified so dupes on PART1.PAK that are on PART2.PAK are linked to PART2.PAK
    Both Discs - Dummy PSS added so that the game won't crash when using the movie viewing option.
    Overall - Nothing
    WARNING: Do not change any part of this kit, or else the game will crash.
    Version 2: Fixed IML so that you can build ISO from any location.
    Overall - Nothing should of read Overall Ripped - Nothing

At a guess though as I don't have it though the GOW2 linked by deadlegion will be down sampled so the video quality and or sound quality will be lower, video would not be so noticeable though if it is done well and your are still using an SD TV, possibly even a HD TV with SD connections but the NTSC rip would be better quality

Most of the games that have something actually removed it's often extra language files so again nothing really ripped, if you really really wanted though you can make 2 versions 1 with each language

God of War 1 for example the commonly known DVD5 version has extra's video's removed and re-linked but all in game fmv is all there with no re-sampling but you could make a 2nd DVD that has all the extra's fmv's but re-link the in game fmv's instead

Down-sampling is not often used but it just re-samples video or audio data to a lower quality to get smaller sized files this is only really used for DVD9 to a single DVD5 disc image (this does not include GOW1 though as I explained that one)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-July-2014 at 14:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I think I'd like to try Zorlon's way, no rip just split the game in 2 dvd5's, but thank you for your suggestion deadlegion.
    Zorlon can you please link the gow2 kit I need to download and which tutorial should I follow? Like I said, I found several tutorials on google using different programs, but I have no idea which one would be optimal for what I am trying to achieve here.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by VIKINGS View Post
    I think I'd like to try Zorlon's way, no rip just split the game in 2 dvd5's, but thank you for your suggestion deadlegion.
    Zorlon can you please link the gow2 kit I need to download and which tutorial should I follow? Like I said, I found several tutorials on google using different programs, but I have no idea which one would be optimal for what I am trying to achieve here.
    I will warn you now splitoff that is used in most of these kits does detect as a virus, it's not. (it does hack the file it is told to and splits that file at a certain point)

But in order to download and use the kit you may need to temp disable any anti virus software

[I always keep programs like that on a separate drive then do a full antivirus scan of my system with that separate drive removed, that way you can make sure it has only taken effect on what it was told to, or if you are really nervous about it, then don't download it at all]

You will also need Apache3Preview to dump the contents of a DVD9 disc image or actual disc

The basic instructions are in the readme.txt file, I would ignore the burning speed instructions though and burn at the slowest rate your hardware can go as the optimal burning speed is different depending on the hardware, that is the slowest speed anyway so just set imgburn to x1, it will then auto adjust that to the correct slowest speed your hardware can burn at.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-July-2014 at 04:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

K, thank you, I'll give it a shot. After I make the 2 iso's using those programs, do I still use esr patcher on them?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah that is just a rip kit to slit the game into two halves that can be used via Swap Magic or a Mod Chip if you want to use it with ESR then you still need to patch the disc images (both of them) before you burn them

DVD9 issues are not exclusive to ESR but happens to all DVD-R/DVD+R Playback methods (Mod chips included) on the PS2, especially some of the slims that have poor lasers in them, even had one that would not read a retail DVD9 disc, it was like that out of the box brand new as well

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Cool, thank you. One last question when I get to the great chasm I immediately save(before the chasm stage actually loads or right after it has loaded?), I eject the first disc, put the second one in, reset the console, then load the saved game, right?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah that I don't know for certain as I never played this rip myself

But I would of thought that would do the trick yes (save after getting into the chasm levels),

From what the kit actually does, it looks like all the actual game data is on both discs but the FMV cuts are split between them, so the chasm game data is on both discs but the fmv cuts at/near the end will only be on the second disc

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Great, thank you. Burning the first disc now, lets hope this works.

LE: Yeap, it's working, yay.
    Last edited by VIKINGS; 14th-July-2014 at 14:17.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Congrats, now only to make sure the change discs bit works fine also, just remember to do a clean boot of the next disc when you reach that point in the game.

Hope you enjoy the game, I liked this one myself (I played the HD version on my PS3)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Yeah, well so much for enjoying the game.... I played yesterday for about half an hour untill I got stuck at this bit where you fly a pegasus, get hit, the beast loses control and you have to move the left analog stick left and right very fast so you don't fall off. Not only can I not get passed it, but I think I olso managed to damage my controller by trying like an idiot. Seriously f*** those sony a******* for putting something like that in the game....

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well that isn't good at all :/

I don't remember having difficulty with it and my PS3 pad survived 5 GoW games 1 to 3 and the 2 HD versions of the PSP GoW's, though I admit I don't like bit like that in the fear of destroying a pad in some way or another.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]