Thread: Using CodeBreaker from USB?

Thanks

Question Using CodeBreaker from USB?

Recently I had to re-softmod my ps2 due to certain files getting erased. At the time I had codebreaker running from the usb flash stick. it's been a good while since I set it up this way so I forgot how to get it back running from there, I did do a massive search (google, youtube even here) to see if I could find a tut explaining how to do this but most explain how to do it via: HDLoader (I play my games from disk ESR to be exact) I just want to use codebreaker from the usb again and any help would be great, Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thread moved.

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have a guide or something on EP though can't see it lol

give me a bit I will get back to you on that but you have 3 options of what version to use

EDIT

Ah that is in my ESR guide "PS2 Softmod ultimate guide", post# 6

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80570

Version 9.3 is possibly the best overall version to use even though version 10 is obviously newer, if you are curious why just read that part of the guide
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-June-2014 at 18:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks.... ok i've follow what you said to a T and it works from the USB the only problem is when I start the game... the screen goes black and stays that way (no flashing color screen)
    Last edited by sketch2k278; 4th-June-2014 at 20:10.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You either did not set the correct path/file name when you patched the codebreaker or you have the incorrect path or file name for the ESR file, that is the only reason that would not work

Another words it can't find the esr elf file

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I think it has something to do with the ESR file the 1st step i really didn't understand

How do I "Patch Codebreaker to look for ESR on your Memory Card"?? I used the patcher for 9.3 but was i suppose to click on no hdl patch before patching?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't think so, checking that grays out the path options (looks like an unpatch option) but you need those to set the correct path, it just sounds like you set that up wrong or you don't have the correct name and or path for the elf file it looks for

By default that loads mc0:/BOOT/CB_launch.elf that is memcard slot 1 running CB_launch.elf from the BOOT folder, for that to work you just take a copy of the ESR elf file rename it to CB_launch.elf and pop that into the BOOT folder on the root of the memcard

If you changed the path from mc0: to mc1:, mc1 is slot 2

You can change the other drives to mc0: instead of mass: or hdd0: if you wanted you can also change the elf name from CB_launch.elf to Boot.elf or ESR.elf and obviously the paths, just make sure the syntax is correct still

hdd0: = internal HDD for fat PS2's only
    mass: = USB storage
    mc0: = Memcard slot 1
    mc1: = Memcard slot 2

If you wanted you can use the pre patched version of 9.2 instead

It can load an elf from memcard 1 from either

BOOT/CB_launch.elf or BOOT/BOOT.ELF

both are the same paths in the BOOT folder on the root of the memcard but make sure the elf file (ESR) is named CB_launch.elf or BOOT.ELF that you want the codebreaker to boot after

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

ok I did what you stated above but im lost like crazy..... i've been messing around with this for over 2hrs and it's very complicated (at least for me) I followed your tut as below

Patch Codebreaker to look for ESR on your Memory Card (I don't quite understand what you meant by this.. did you mean to start the patcher and change the Mc path from mc0:/BOOT/CB_launch.elf -to- mc0:/BOOT/ESR.elf??)

(I understood the rest of the steps)
    Put the patched Codebreaker.elf onto a USB storage device
    Insert the USB storage device into the first USB slot of the PS2
    Boot your PS2 up normaly and then goto the Free McBoot Configurator
    Go to Configure ESR Path...
    Change Path2: to be your usual ESR path
    Change Path1: to be your Codebreaker elf file stored on that USB storage device (listed as mass
    Go to Return then go to Save CNF to MC0
    Go to PS2 Browser (FMCB Restart)

but then you say below.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    By default that loads mc0:/BOOT/CB_launch.elf that is memcard slot 1 running CB_launch.elf from the BOOT folder, for that to work you just take a copy of the ESR elf file rename it to CB_launch.elf and pop that into the BOOT folder on the root of the memcard

Are you saying to copy (just copy not cut) the ESR.elf file from in the BOOT folder of memcard1 and paste it on the root of memcard1 but rename ESR.elf to CB_Launch.elf?? while keeping the CB_Launch.elf on the flash drive?? or do I copy that from that flash drive into the BOOT folder??
    Lol you can see why im lost?

Thanks
    EP Points

If you have a slim PS2 it's tougher to set up. The USB MUST be removed right before the CB screen loads up.
    My Video Game Codes

“Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good.”

― JRR Tolkien

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 47iscool View Post
    If you have a slim PS2 it's tougher to set up. The USB MUST be removed right before the CB screen loads up.
    I have the fat ps2

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 47iscool View Post
    New one on me works fine with the USB in all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch2k278 View Post
    Patch Codebreaker to look for ESR on your Memory Card (I don't quite understand what you meant by this.. did you mean to start the patcher and change the Mc path from mc0:/BOOT/CB_launch.elf -to- mc0:/BOOT/ESR.elf??)

(I understood the rest of the steps)
    Put the patched Codebreaker.elf onto a USB storage device
    Insert the USB storage device into the first USB slot of the PS2
    Boot your PS2 up normaly and then goto the Free McBoot Configurator
    Go to Configure ESR Path...
    Change Path2: to be your usual ESR path
    Change Path1: to be your Codebreaker elf file stored on that USB storage device (listed as mass
    Go to Return then go to Save CNF to MC0
    Go to PS2 Browser (FMCB Restart)
    That should work yes

Quote Originally Posted by sketch2k278 View Post
    Are you saying to copy (just copy not cut) the ESR.elf file from in the BOOT folder of memcard1 and paste it on the root of memcard1 but rename ESR.elf to CB_Launch.elf?? while keeping the CB_Launch.elf on the flash drive?? or do I copy that from that flash drive into the BOOT folder??
    Lol you can see why im lost?
    Nope never said that

CB_Launch.elf needs to be in the BOOT folder on memcard 1, do not store it on the root of memcard 1 or on the USB stick

Try that with the pre-patched copy 9.2 (you may need to delete the code database if one was added to the memcard via 9.3)

You may even get away with just deleting the CB_launch.elf from the USB device because it will be trying to launch that before launching the one on the memcard

Just sound like you have made something that should be simple, over complicated.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-June-2014 at 04:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

CB_Launch.elf needs to be in the BOOT folder on memcard 1, do not store it on the root of memcard 1 or on the USB stick

Try that with the pre-patched copy 9.2 (you may need to delete the code database if one was added to the memcard via 9.3)

You may even get away with just deleting the CB_launch.elf from the USB device because it will be trying to launch that before launching the one on the memcard

Just sound like you have made something that should be simple, over complicated.

Ok i'll try this but my main goal was to use it from the usb so I'll have more room on the memcard but if i have to store it on the card i can easily just get more PS2 memcards

EDIT: ok I tried 9.2 and just stored it in the boot folder of memcard 1 (removed the USB after placing it in memcard boot folder) start up code breaker selected the cheats then start code breaker when the screen black it restarts code breaker then when I try to start it up again it freezes when I start game...

If it's because of the 9.3 game database and I have to delete it then how would go about deleting it?
    Last edited by sketch2k278; 6th-June-2014 at 20:17.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

are you renaming the codebreaker elf to CB-Launch or something??? you are totally confusing everything I have said from the start by the sounds of it??

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

are you renaming the codebreaker elf to CB-Launch or something??? you are totally confusing everything I have said from the start by the sounds of it??
    yes I renamed CODEBREAKER92patched.elf to CB_Launch.elf and placed it in to BOOT folder of memcard 1

All I did was what you stated
    I place CB_Launch.elf in the BOOT folder of memory card 1 and deleting the one from the USB so it wouldn't try to launch it from the USB instead of the memory card, nothing more

was I suppose to go into ESR config and Change Path1: to the BOOT/CB_Launch.elf?? (in MC0)
    Last edited by sketch2k278; 6th-June-2014 at 22:06.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I never once said to do that, as I thought you are getting very very confused no wonder it's not working

CB_launch.elf is the ESR elf file not the codebreaker elf, the codebreaker elf launches CD_Launch elf after you hit start game/start game with codes

Yes the CD_Launch.elf files goes in BOOT/CB_Launch.elf (in MC0) but that is the ESR elf renamed, the Codebreaker.elf needs to be on the USB

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]