Thread: Can't run CPS2 games in Mame .152

Thanks

Default Can't run CPS2 games in Mame .152

I'm not new to Mame, but I've previously run an old version on an ancient Mac. Now I have .152 on a decent dedicated PC (Win7 64bit).

At least I think these are all CPS2 games, and I could run many of these on the old Mame, but now none of them are working. Of course I've updated my roms and bios files, and even tried different rom and bios files from different sources, but I keep getting missing file errors.

Any suggestions?

Roms I'm having issue with (only tested through letter N): 1944, 19xx, armored warriors, alien vs predator, battle circuit, capcom sports club, cyberbots, dungeons & dragons: som and tod, darkstalkers, eco fighters, giga wing, mega man 2, mercs, mars matrix, mighty pang, marvel super heroes, msh vs street fighter, marvel vs capcom, night warriors: darkstalkers

A few other non-capcom I'm having trouble with, but I'm guessing different issues: bosconian, battle toads, cruis'n usa, cruis'n world, dig dug, driver's edge, espgaluda 2, galaga, galaga 3, gaplus, harris, hyper athlete, hyperdrive, mechanized attack, nss games
    (yes, I have CHDs for roms that need it)

Thanks
    EP Points

with the CPS2 games, check the error logs. because i found I was missing the qsound.zip that seems to be required now for CPS2 games. and check what ones you might be missing for the others as well. the CV1k roms were particularly picky for me at one point. I only recently got them in order.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JJXB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Brilliant!!

I wasn't aware of that audio file. Thanks SO much, JJXB… that was so simple.

the CV1k roms were particularly picky for me at one point. I only recently got them in order.
    Interesting. I'm learning...

Also, for anyone else finding this thread through google, I've also started trying to suss out the problems with the other games, that aren't part of the systemic Capcom issue.

For Galaga, Dig Dug, Bosconian, etc., it's a series of files that are required:
    namco50.zip
    namco51.zip
    namco52.zip
    namco53.zip
    namco54.zip
    namco62.zip
    Last edited by radiofrog; 20th-April-2014 at 06:44.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Best way to check if you find other system games are missing something is to use MameUI or MameUI32 (I mention the 32bit version more for known bug in the 64bit version MameUI that makes some games fail if the cheat engine is enabled, even if you don't have a cheat dat file)

Anyway with those you can audit the game (this checks and makes sure you have the required files),

Even if you use standard versions though it will report back if anything is missing and list the files that are and what folders it looks in (the folders listed are the actual zip files though rather than folders) it will show this as soon as you try to run a game with missing files, if a chd is missing that can be misleading as I'm sure it does not specify what is missing

http://www.mameui.info/ < thats for the 64bit version
    http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui_en < thats for the 32bit version and older 64 bit versions lower down the page

Noticed while I looked Mame has updated again to 0.153, may take a look and see what has changed but not at the moment.

For now though stick to the version you are using as Mame updates do sometimes invalidate older roms with newer dumps
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-April-2014 at 07:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, Zorlon! That should be helpful.

I'm just vaguely aware of what the various versions of Mame are used for. Having come from Mac, I always just used the MacMame built-in gui, and when i switched to PC, I intended to use a fancy front end from the start, so I've got just the core Mame exe.