Thread: Need help with a game! (JoJo's Venture in MAME)

Thanks

Default Need help with a game! (JoJo's Venture in MAME)

Hew, I'm new here(tho, I'm not new to emulation) And I'm having trouble geting a game to run... The game is this one:
    http://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-...981202)/137377

I know from experience that arcade games can be a lil tricky to get running(3RD Strike for CPS3 was a pain to get it to work) and I'm having similar problems getting this to work, but since this game isn't as popular as 3rd Strike, internet searches have been futile! Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2014 at 17:53.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What is the exact issue

P.S. the game needs a chd file that is not part of the rom as it is a compressed CD-Rom dump not just micro chip dumps that is all that is stored in the rom zip file

If you tell me what it looks for and where I can help you

If you are using a windows gui version of MAME like MAMEUI then you can open the properties for the game and look at the audit for it to see what you are missing if anything

EDIT the game does work though I just done a little test in MAMEUI32 version 0.152 (I chose that build because MAMEUI the 64 bit version has a bug when cheats are enabled in some games) takes a little while to do an install for that game, it does that from the CD but you only do that once.

The arcade cab that is based on installs games from CD so games can be changed in it.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2014 at 19:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    What is the exact issue

P.S. the game needs a chd file that is not part of the rom as it is a compressed CD-Rom dump not just micro chip dumps that is all that is stored in the rom zip file

If you tell me what it looks for and where I can help you

If you are using a windows gui version of MAME like MAMEUI then you can open the properties for the game and look at the audit for it to see what you are missing if anything

EDIT the game does work though I just done a little test in MAMEUI32 version 0.152 (I chose that build because MAMEUI the 64 bit version has a bug when cheats are enabled in some games) takes a little while to do an install for that game, it does that from the CD but you only do that once.

The arcade cab that is based on installs games from CD so games can be changed in it.
    Well, since this is a CPS3 game, I tried running it with the same emulator I use for 3rd strike, it didn't work(Not surprised since to get 3rd strike to work I needed like, 5 different files) So I decided to use the 2 different versions of mame i use... Unse said It was missing a ROM or CHD file, and the other one didn't even run!

I'm kind of used to just drag and dropping files into emulators, and when something gets more complicated than that(like with most of my arcade games) A quick google search helps me... But since this is a MUCH more obscure game, I can't find a tutorial or something... Can U tell me exactly how u got this to work? Btw, I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

"It was missing a ROM or CHD file"

So, like Zorlon graciously took the time to inform you, your problem is most assuredly that you don't actually have the necessary files to run the game. You'll want to make sure you have the CHD file for the game, and then get back to us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion View Post
    "It was missing a ROM or CHD file"

So, like Zorlon graciously took the time to inform you, your problem is most assuredly that you don't actually have the necessary files to run the game. You'll want to make sure you have the CHD file for the game, and then get back to us.
    The file I'm using is a chd... So I'm missing the rom, but Idk where to find it... :/

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I checked Google. Found tons of sites that have the rom you're looking for. Unfortunately I can't link you, but if you sit tight I'll send you a PM. You're going to want to download it and put it in your ROM folder, but I'm sure you already know that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion View Post
    I checked Google. Found tons of sites that have the rom you're looking for. Unfortunately I can't link you, but if you sit tight I'll send you a PM. You're going to want to download it and put it in your ROM folder, but I'm sure you already know that.

Anyway, try that link and get back to me, alright? If it doesn't download, I've got plenty more where that came from. [/QUOTE]
    Thank u :3

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sure. EP has both the rom and CHD files. At least it appears to, anyway. Try those and get back to us.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Our chd set is out of date I was just going to upload it anyway though

But that one may of been ok for the updated MAME I didn't check every one of them

The Master rom would also be needed, not the chd this time though

jojo.zip is the master rom that is for the USA 990128 version of the game not at EP

Extract Jojo Roms.7z to your rum folder and try again

This is for MAME 0.152

That's not the CHD as you got the CHD from the link but I'm sure that is out of date, what this file is, is the rom for this version (USA 981202) and the master rom (USA 990128)

I will upload the CHD after work though if you still can not run it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-February-2014 at 05:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Our chd set is out of date I was just going to upload it anyway though

But that one may of been ok for the updated MAME I didn't check every one of them

The Master rom would also be needed, not the chd this time though

jojo.zip is the master rom that is for the USA 990128 version of the game not at EP

Extract Jojo Roms.7z to your rum folder and try again

This is for MAME 0.152

That's not the CHD as you got the CHD from the link but I'm sure that is out of date, what this file is, is the rom for this version (USA 981202) and the master rom (USA 990128)

I will upload the CHD after work though if you still can not run it
    Nothing seems to be working... I'm sorry to be a nuisance... But could u link me to EVERYTHING I need? A MAME emulator(I don't mind having another emulator JUST to play this game) The rom and the CHD and where to put them? Like a whole tutorial or something...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Get MAMEUI32 0.152 24-12-2013 from http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui.html

Run that from your MAME folder
    find the game in the gui right click it and hit Audit, that will tell you what is wrong with it

Post the report here

I will give you the missing files if any

P.S. the CHD file/s should be in a sub folders in roms (USA 990128) chd file goes in a folder called jojo and (USA 981202) chd goes in jojor2

chd files should also not be zipped

Audit both versions please depending on what is missing depends on the version I will offer you but possibly best just to use the master rom/chd (USA 990128) it's the newest revision and still a USA version
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-February-2014 at 08:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

You completely lost me
    Last edited by Crash40; 28th-February-2014 at 12:31.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. download and extract the copy of Mame as suggested in last post
    2. run it
    3. find the game in the Mame gui
    4. right mouse click on the game in the Mame gui
    5. move the mouse to audit
    6. left mouse click on audit

It will list any issues with the set

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

1. download and extract the copy of Mame as suggested in last post
    2. run it
    3. find the game in the Mame gui
    4. right mouse click on the game in the Mame gui
    5. move the mouse to audit
    6. left mouse click on audit

It will list any issues with the set
    Err... There were a lot of different versions of Jojo, but I recognized the one I've been downloading(USA 981202) It said On ROM Check: "Best Available" so I clicked it and it worked! O.o It's now "Rewriting Data" and says it'll take a while. I have no idea what I did, I have about 5 different ROMs and 4 different CHDs and Idk what's working or not, and I have the exact same setup on both my other MAMEs and I have no idea why they don't work there :/ but I don't mind... thank you so much! If I stumble into any problems, I'll let u know.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have every single rom and chd though to be honest that is a bit OTT as not all the games can be played there are a lot of beta and alpha drivers in MAME that are yet to make some games playable

Yeah it installs from the CD aka chd

MAME with every update changing something as well as adding things so although this is working it may not work with all the versions of MAME you have even if they all support the game, because the data used for the game has changed through the revisions of MAME so the 0.150 set may not work in MAME 0.152 and vice versa 0.152 rom set will not fully work in MAME 0.150 some games will not of been updated but I know for a fact that most of the CHD's have been updated
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-March-2014 at 08:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]