Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The only (main)series that gets better and better is...

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gobby View Post
    I think the Entire Megaman franchise got better with each new release.......... MMX 6 and 7 were kinda............disappointing though......
    Well... eh. Megaman 5-6 are sort of okay and the seventh game was awful. I also happen to think that MMX4 is the best X title, but that could be besides the point, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Metal Gear yeah I like to think that one has (I refuse to include Raiden's game in that though ) MG1 and 2 (MSX versions) then the Solid Series PSX and re-make PS2 2 & 3 then 4, PSP games not counted
    Not counting Snake's revenge is totally okay, but I sort of didn't really like MGS4 at all. I've only played it for three or so hours, by which I mean I've watched it for 2,5 hours and played it for thirty minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Monofthedead View Post
    I'd say the NA releases of Fire Emblem have only improved so far
    Na uh.

Quote Originally Posted by Monofthedead View Post
    Why no? I thought the first GBA game was great, I loved the map they used in SS, the skill system in PoR, the factions in Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon's reclassing system, and Awakening's combo of a bunch of those things. Keep in mind I limited my statement to the Fire Emblems released in North America. I haven't played any of the others although I have them all on my HDD with the fan translations for when my backlog gets a little more lean.
    Because the seventh game (first one released in the US) is so much better than Sacred Stones. The trainee-class thing is sort of dumb, the story was sort of boring and predictable and when you're done with the seventh game you get this awesome other-story new game+ thing, and when you're done with that you get the secret ending. In Sacred Stones you get to unlock enemy characters (TO DO NOTHING WITH) by grinding through a boring tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I would say Zelda works in this context.
    I'm with you on everything, except Zelda I is better than Zelda II - how underrated it may be.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MGS I did like 4 though it took a bit of getting used to but overall I think it was the next step up from 3 that I found the same at first it also had taken a bit of getting used to, the NES versions are just bad ports of the MSX games, not worth playing, the MSX versions are good though for the time

I can't convince others to like something that they don't though.

I think Super Mario Bro. to New Super Mario Bro. series works for this (2 is debatable but that is better than 1, but if you feel it's that bad think of the Jap version of 2 that was renamed Lost Levels, that I think is a bit too hard to be honest) [I think 2 is more debatable because they went for different game play, I don't think the game is bad as such but it's not the classic Super Mario feel that is found in the original Super Mario game, but 3 rather than changing it, just adds to it]

Mario Kart keeps getting better (Not my thing but they do look like they add new features with every version as well as keeping some older tracks but adding new twists to them)

Super Mario 3D series from N64/NDS remake to GameCube Sunshine to the Wii Galaxy games (I'm not a fan and have not actually played the Galaxy ones, not yet anyway)

Paper Mario Series (Super Mario RPG I guess starts it then N64 Paper Mario GC version & 3DS version, not sure if there is a Wii version)

Animal Crossing (mixed for me as I liked some of the removed features) but N64 to GC to DS to Wii to 3DS all have something new and or improved in each version (I get bored of these games too quick myself though)

Problem is most series of games have side games or have down sized versions on portable platforms it's hard to define anything as perfectly improving with each release or even define a main series without including side release games, even my fav game series tend to have some sort of flaws in some part of the series

Half-Life plus add on's Half-Life 2 plus the 2 extra episodes has improved each time.

DooM has improved with each new game also including Final DooM and the extra DooM III official mods (Not so sure about the N64 version but I thought that was a good version, just not sure where it fits in along with the other console ports, though the other console ports did not add much they tended to be almost direct ports with minor improvements, the N64 version though was a complete remake just about)

Zelda I would love to go along with but even if we rule out 2 (that is a good game on it's own) there are too many later games with mixed feelings towards, they just went in different directions with each installment on GBA GC DS Wii & 3DS overall I do like them all though (Yet to play through Skyward Sword, that graphically looks like a downgrade to the last Wii Zelda game to me) (lol at the CD-i games not that I would count them but they are bad)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-March-2014 at 11:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default The only (main)series that gets better and better is...

Elmdor I think you are kinda silly for viewing the terrible Contra games as spin-offs but that's just me. Shattered Soldier is not a spin-off but it's certainly a step down from Contra III! I still love you though so don't hate me for being honest.

I've been thinking tons about this topic lately and have not been able to come up with anything at all. Every series have their black sheep, even the legendary ones like Mario and Zelda. So here I was gonna write my reply, admitting defeat. But just now, after that brief moment of feeling lost and utterly defeated, from the deepest and dirtiest parts of my mind I have found a series that only got better and better with each entry. This is an undeniable fact, something you cannot argue against. Well you can but you will look like a fool. I WIN!

Spoiler warning:
    Final Fan- haha nope!

System Shock
    Last edited by crusher; 10th-March-2014 at 00:03.

Thanks
    EP Points

You're not trying hard enough!!!

I think Super Mario Bro. to New Super Mario Bro. series works for this (2 is debatable but that is better than 1, but if you feel it's that bad think of the Jap version of 2 that was renamed Lost Levels, that I think is a bit too hard to be honest) [I think 2 is more debatable because they went for different game play, I don't think the game is bad as such but it's not the classic Super Mario feel that is found in the original Super Mario game, but 3 rather than changing it, just adds to it]
    Well, the way I see is that the real SMB2 is sort of better than the first, in that more of the same-kind of way. I normally enjoy difficulty in platformers, so I can go with that aswell. My main problem with the Mario series is whether to consider the american/european SMB2 at all, and then I also have a hard time deciding if I think it's better than the original (and lost levels) or not. It's sort of a neat game, but I never, ever feel like replaying it. The Mario series totally knocks itself out with SMW2: Yoshi's Island though.

Mario Kart keeps getting better (Not my thing but they do look like they add new features with every version as well as keeping some older tracks but adding new twists to them)
    The GBA game was inferior to the N64 one. Which... is totally not a fair thing, comparing them, but it's Nintendo's fault for including everyone in the main series.

Paper Mario Series (Super Mario RPG I guess starts it then N64 Paper Mario GC version & 3DS version, not sure if there is a Wii version)
    There is a wii game, which I haven't actually played, I should do that ASAP if it works well enough on my PC. The other games are awesome and all that but I happen to feel that the SNES game is, by far, the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Elmdor I think you are kinda silly for viewing the terrible Contra games as spin-offs but that's just me. Shattered Soldier is not a spin-off but it's certainly a step down from Contra III! I still love you though so don't hate me for being honest.
    IT'S NOT MAIN SERIES! The Hard Corps series are spin-offs and while games such as Shattered Soldier might be canon and all that it still isn't numbered, so there. KONAMI ARE TOO CLEVER FOR YOU!

I've been thinking tons about this topic lately and have not been able to come up with anything at all. Every series have their black sheep, even the legendary ones like Mario and Zelda. So here I was gonna write my reply, admitting defeat. But just now, after that brief moment of feeling lost and utterly defeated, from the deepest and dirtiest parts of my mind I have found a series that only got better and better with each entry. This is an undeniable fact, something you cannot argue against. Well you can but you will look like a fool. I WIN!

Spoiler warning:
    Final Fan- haha nope!

System Shock
    Well, the joke's on you, 'cause I don't know what System Shock is!!!

Well, it could be on me, who knows these days?

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah maybe Konami are too clever for me. At the end of the month they'll have successfully sold a demo to me... :wacko.

System Shock is an awesome space RPG/FPS/horror series. And the second game is vastly superior to the first (two games totally counts as a series!). So I hate to repeat myself but I win!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

System Shock the first one was on PSX I do believe not sure of the other platforms though and never played the second one myself or don't remember

Nope it wasn't on PSX but I'm sure I have played it It was the PC version I played.. must of been..

Now I just feel silly for not remembering, the first one was good though even if the graphics are a little simple but for the day not bad
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-March-2014 at 08:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Bah, if you're going for two games series there are lots of other games to consider. Doesn't count as a proper series. Can I give you any examples? BAH, I TOTALLY DON'T HAVE TO.

I just realized I'm surprised no one brought up Halo. I haven't really played any game 'cept for Halo 3 and Reach though, but I always though people seemed happy with the new games. Maybe.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not as many Halo fans as we thought maybe

I did not get the xbox for Halo, it's just not my thing though from the little I did play 2 was better than 1, not played 3 as I would need to buy it but lack the interest in it to buy that one

I prefer the Metroid Prime Trilogy that does indeedy get better (although the DS Prime Hunters is a good game it is not the same standard as the GC/now Wii games but it is also a side step game not really part of the main set)

Think Metroid Prime has already been mentioned anyway though, I just like it over the likes of Halo but they are not alike anyway only in the way they are both FPS games

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Bah, if you're going for two games series there are lots of other games to consider. Doesn't count as a proper series. Can I give you any examples? BAH, I TOTALLY DON'T HAVE TO.

I just realized I'm surprised no one brought up Halo. I haven't really played any game 'cept for Halo 3 and Reach though, but I always though people seemed happy with the new games. Maybe.
    Bring it on! Let the list wars commence!

I think Halo 2 is considered to be slightly more shitty than the other titles and Halo 4 is garbage-tier apparently. But I'm probably dead wrong on this. Not really a fan.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Saints Row

You may now close the thread.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the series that getting better
    1-super mario
    2-contra(like elmdor rizer said)
    3-devil may cry (DDMC Devil may cry SUCK!!!!! i didn't like it)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MGS I did like 4 though it took a bit of getting used to but overall I think it was the next step up from 3 that I found the same at first it also had taken a bit of getting used to, the NES versions are just bad ports of the MSX games, not worth playing, the MSX versions are good though for the time

Super Mario 3D series from N64/NDS remake to GameCube Sunshine to the Wii Galaxy games (I'm not a fan and have not actually played the Galaxy ones, not yet anyway)

Animal Crossing (mixed for me as I liked some of the removed features) but N64 to GC to DS to Wii to 3DS all have something new and or improved in each version (I get bored of these games too quick myself though)

Problem is most series of games have side games or have down sized versions on portable platforms it's hard to define anything as perfectly improving with each release or even define a main series without including side release games, even my fav game series tend to have some sort of flaws in some part of the series

Half-Life plus add on's Half-Life 2 plus the 2 extra episodes has improved each time.

DooM has improved with each new game also including Final DooM and the extra DooM III official mods (Not so sure about the N64 version but I thought that was a good version, just not sure where it fits in along with the other console ports, though the other console ports did not add much they tended to be almost direct ports with minor improvements, the N64 version though was a complete remake just about)

Zelda I would love to go along with but even if we rule out 2 (that is a good game on it's own) there are too many later games with mixed feelings towards, they just went in different directions with each installment on GBA GC DS Wii & 3DS overall I do like them all though (Yet to play through Skyward Sword, that graphically looks like a downgrade to the last Wii Zelda game to me) (lol at the CD-i games not that I would count them but they are bad)
    yes!!! i totally forgot about Metal Gear

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Batman Arkam Series... just as the 3rd one is out with a 4th one due (Not counting the Black Gate game out today on 360/PS3, was out on 3DS/Vita before that)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

How about the Beatmania IIDX series? It's done nothing but move forward since 1999, and that's with 21 iterations in 15 years!

Thoughts, gentlemen and gentleladies?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Bring it on! Let the list wars commence!

I think Halo 2 is considered to be slightly more shitty than the other titles and Halo 4 is garbage-tier apparently. But I'm probably dead wrong on this. Not really a fan.
    So, listing two series games.... HM.

Contra: Hard Corps! The genesis game is extremely good, but I'd say the PS3 version is sort of superior.

And... that's all I can think of right now. Quite the list war, this. Oh, oh, oh, what about Ducktales? Chip 'n' Dale maybe?

Batman Arkam Series... just as the 3rd one is out with a 4th one due (Not counting the Black Gate game out today on 360/PS3, was out on 3DS/Vita before that)
    I thought people didn't like the third one as much. Still haven't played any of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by ace99 View Post
    How about the Beatmania IIDX series? It's done nothing but move forward since 1999, and that's with 21 iterations in 15 years!

Thoughts, gentlemen and gentleladies?
    Haven't played, but isn't this a FIFA-type of deal?