Thread: FFV in Anthology and Arc the Lad issues

Thanks

Default FFV in Anthology and Arc the Lad issues

Hey all. So, for Arc the Lad, I've put in about a dozen hours, and it kept giving me more and more problems, till now I can't play it. The problems were all about controller input, like, I'd push up, and it'd go up and also cancel. But finally, now, I can't 'confirm'. It's the X button, normally, but it doesn't matter what button I assign it to, on either of two good controllers or my keyboard; it just fails to work. Everything else works, but not that one button. The hell? My controller is just a PS2 controller, with a USB adaptar. I've already checked, multiple times, to make sure the driver was updated and the inputs worked. I've tried setting it up as analog and digital (though not with F5; that doesn't actually do anything, though I see alot of topics mention it).

So I got tired and tried Final Fantasy 5 from Anthology. It won't let me save, it just freezes.

I searched the boards for topics, but I don't see anyone with these exact problems. I'm using epsxe 1.8, Pete's Open GL Driver, and Eternal SPU, all with, I think, like the default settings. I'm running 64 bit Vista if it matters. I'm using downloads for both (both are cue files), though I do have Arc the Lad on disk, I just didn't know how to use it and didn't feel like learning a new thing. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. Make sure analog and digital are setup with the same controls
    2. use PEOP's Software driver
    3. use SPU ePSXe Core for your sound

ePSXe is up to 1.9 now but to be honest it shouldn't make much difference, but as you have unusual issue it might be worth trying, either that or going back to ePSXe 1.6

It could very well be the USB drivers as you shouldn't of needed to install any drivers except for rumble support as Windows Vista has Hid Drivers as part of the OS that work just fine with USB PSX/PS2 converters (it is only rumble that is not supported automatically)

As it happens using a retail disc would not help, but that is easy to do (make sure the CD plugin is looking for the correct drive (default it looks at the first drive)) then just hit Run CD-Rom. instead of Run ISO
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-November-2013 at 12:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I did the easy steps. It fixed FFV, but not Arc the Lad. I'll have to try other versions of epsxe tomorrow, when I have some time. I don't know if it matters, but my USB convertor does have rumble support, and is also a multi-tap, so that might be why it came with a disk. Thanks for the help.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

has a multi-tap??? (I can't see that but you can get 4 port converters that are not really multi-taps) what exact converter are you using? an official site link would work for me or a picture if the site is not around now

supporting rumble... most every USB to PS2 converter does even if they don't officially say so so no that is not an issue

P.S. still sounds like it's a possible driver issue, I can give you basic rumble/dual shock drivers that work with just about any USB pads and USB to (controllers with rumble).

E.G. I have a EMS USB to 2xPSX/PS2 controllers converter thing but the official EMS drivers have had issues in the past (Not sure if they fixed the issues I never bothered to check as the pads have no issues now) with things that bug out buttons stop responding ect but using windows own default drivers and using the generic ruble support driver it works great and the same rumble driver works with my 360 wired pad (not that I bother with it) and my other 2 converters that are PS2 to PS3 converters (PS3 uses USB and the pads via that also use windows default HID drivers when plugged into a Windows PC)

Most driver discs for pads either use there own config software or just have drivers aimed at windows 98/2K that did not have USB HID drivers included for control pads (not 100% sure XP does, I think it does though)

Something else you can try is Joy2keys (not worth it for analog sticks mind) that can change all digital controls to keyboard keys then setup the main controls (keep analog controls set as they are, but X O [] /\ L1 L2 L3 R1 R2 R3 and the D-Pad can be set to keyboard keys in both the analog setup (just the thumb sticks should be left configured direct to the pad) and the digital setup (L3 and R3 are not used in digital mode (thumb stick buttons)))

http://joytokey.net/en/ huh that used to be freeware ... I still have a freeware version myself as it happens, not sure what a licence does for you but there is a small disclaimer now

Disclaimer

JoyToKey is a shareware, but you can freely try it without any limitation in functionality (at least at this moment). After trial, if you find it useful, please consider purchasing a license key from JoyToKey application menu.

This product comes with no warranty. Please use it at your own risk. The author takes no responsibilities of any sort related to the use of this product.
    my copy is rather old now I guess though but it is freeware rather than shareware, I would be happy to share that version as well, there are possibly other software packs that can do the same as joy2keys but not looked in years.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-November-2013 at 01:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Sorry, I've been sick. Maybe multi-tap was the wrong word, but it does support 4 controllers. I don't know if it's the driver, because I've used the controller and convertor for at least 2 dozen games since I bought it, including several on epsxe, without issue. The brand is TigerGame. Got it off Amazon. I didn't know, at the time, if I could just use a PS3 convertor since I only have a PS2 controller, so I got this Chinese thing instead. Seems to work though. I did try setting the controls in epsxe to the keyboard, and the same command still failed. Thinking back, I'm starting to suspect a bad rip or bad download, or a problem with the emulator. I'll have to try it more, I've just been under the weather. Thanks for all the help.

Also, I think that JoyToKey concept is basically the same as xpadder, if you're curious. At least, the Steam forums seem to mention it alot.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the PS3 thing is for using a PS2 controller on a PS3

PS3 controllers are via blue tooth and USB they don't have the same port as PSX/PS2

xpadder is much the same yeah

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]