Thread: GB/GBC Emulators that support loading 2 ROMs at once? (For SCIENCE!)

Thanks
    EP Points

Question GB/GBC Emulators that support loading 2 ROMs at once? (For SCIENCE!)

I was just wondering: are there any Game Boy or Game Boy Color emulators (or GBA emulators that are capable of running GB and GBC ROMs) out there that would support loading two or more ROMs at once — like, for example, a Game Genie ROM and a game ROM? (Or two Game Genie/GameShark ROMs and a game ROM.)

The reason I ask is, obviously, science, and possibly nostalgia. I'd like to test out the ROM for the original Game Boy GameShark to see what it was like — I have a later-edition GBC GameShark, so I know it's quite different from the older ones — withOUT having to go to the local used-games shop and either buying one, or asking them if I could try it out.

Plus, I'm curious if it would be possible to stack multiple Game Boy Game Genies together the way you can NES Game Genies*. If it is possible, then I'd be able to have as many sets of three codes for Game Boy/GBC1 (backward-compatible GBC) games as I wanted!

So — are there any?

*Sadly, it seems it's impossible to stack Super NES (and probably SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive, but I'm not sure) Game Genies. After inputting codes on the first Game Genie, when it tries to load the next cartridge in the chain (Game Genie #2, in this case), the graphics just glitch up and the system freezes. Oh well.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The cheat carts are not emulated fully because most of those cheat devices used switches that can not be changed as it is only the rom that was dumped

The only stackable carts that you can do that with is the Sonic and Knuckles game cart for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive that is not just a game but a pass through cart so you could add the other 3 sonic games on top of it, to do that through emulation all that was done was to take the 2 cart dumps Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3 merge those together so they become one rom and like magic it works

Most emulators do support cheat codes of various types anyway though GameGenie, Action Replay to Gameshark, Xploder to Codebreaker
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-September-2013 at 14:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh. Fair enough, I suppose, given that the GameShark's switch does need to be set to the 'on' position to be able to mess about in the codes lists. :p

But I don't see why the Game Boy Game Genie, at least, can't be mostly-emulated — at the very least, emulated to the extent that the NES Game Genie is. The only buttons the Game Boy Game Genie has consist of a 'Code Screen' button (which you could work around by just 'resetting' the emulator — and in most emulators, that's basically turning the system off and on again), and an 'On/Off' button for enabling/disabling the codes — which isn't totally necessary, either (the NES Game Genie didn't have one, anyway…). :/

Oh well. Thanks for the reply, at least. I suppose this thread can now die in peace.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

you are welcome to try

just rename both roms the game rom and the cheat cart rom to something simple like 1.gb and 2.gb (after they are extracted not while they are still zipped that would be silly) then in a command prompt type copy/b 1.gb+2.gb a.gb

P.S. I do not remember what way round it has to be, i.e. not sure what rom should be 1 but at a guess I would say the cheat cart

EDIT

it's game then cheat cart but this does nothing for you it just boots back into the cheat cart instead of the game

P.S. the GB game genie has buttons on the cart aswell

EDIT NES version done the same thing it just resets the game genie instead of starting the game

P.S. it's not just the fact that some have switches but also the way the cart worked in the first place, there are also no emulators that emulated pass through carts

Sonic & Knuckled works because it works different to cheat carts

But because I know this anyway the single cheat GameGenie carts can't have multi GameGeneies stacked so you can have more than one cheat it just resets the memory when you put in a new code on the next GameGenie as the code is stored in the exact same place
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-September-2013 at 15:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Why bother directly emulating the cheat cart anyway? Most emulators have a dialog box where you can just type in the codes.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why bother directly emulating the cheat cart anyway? Most emulators have a dialog box where you can just type in the codes.
    I think he explained it enough and there is no need to revive this thread. so I will just close it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]