Thread: Xebra emulator (black screen)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Xebra emulator (black screen)

Hi, im trying to get the Xebra emulator working, but everytime i load the game, Final Fantasy 8, i get a black screen. I configured the bios and the game starts like you would play on a real console, but then a black screen appears and nothing else. I tried Daemon Tools and mounted the cue file, but still the same.

I know i can use ePSXe and there the game works for me, but i want to test something with the Xebra emulator (pocketstation feature). Didnt tried any other game, to be honest, since i care only for FF8.

Thanks for any help.

Can i run a game without Daemon Tools?
    Last edited by vergil2012; 24th-June-2013 at 08:31.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will test this for you and yeah you don't have to use Daemon Tools you can burn it instead

To answer that bit fully though you do need a CD-Rom drive it has no way to directly load a disc image, much like a real PSX, it does seem to have the option for that but it does not work

General usage

1 mount the CD image via D-Tools via the cue file
    2 File>Open>CD-ROM via SPTI
    3 point to any file contained in the virtual drive, I went with a SLUS/SCUS file (it's the main exec file, but I'm sure it makes no difference)
    4 Run>Run 2 (1-pass)... watch it boot up

P.S. not tested with the above game but if you still can't get it working I will test that exact game out, I just tested with something I had anyway

P.P.S. that's a rather slow boot up, in game on what I tested wasn't too bad though but far from perfect

Please note that the PAL-E or E or EU version of FF8 may have copy protection (I forget the exact ones but a few from the Finial Fantasy series released in Europe had copy protection, NTSC-U or U or US versions do not have copy protection)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-June-2013 at 11:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, i guess the problem was on my side, because i didnt used that program (Daemon Tools) right. It was the first time that i used such a program.

After i selected a cue file, i didnt used a file in the virtual drive, i used the img that was on my desktop, im sure that was the problem.

And yes, FF8 (PAL) is copy protected, but the game works fine (i have a img,ccd,sub,cue and a sbi file) with the latest ePSXe.

English is not my primary language, so im sorry for any troubles.

So i thank you for your help. I will test this later and will edit my post (if nobody post a message).
    Last edited by vergil2012; 24th-June-2013 at 12:33.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good luck

P.S. it depends on what Xebra supports

ccd and cue files both do the same thing they tell whatever you tell to read them what is contained inside of a RAW image be it a img or a bin
    sub and sbi files are sub data tracks (can't be burned to CD-R) Sony used this track for copy protection methods but not much supports sub or sbi files, so you may need to patch the main disc image to by pass the copy protection

as far as sbi goes I thought it was only ePSXe and PEOpS CD-Rom plugin that had support for sbi files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-June-2013 at 13:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Do i need a bin file to patch the game? I took here the final fantasy 8 protection fix file: http://consolecopyworld.com/psx/psx_patches_f.shtml

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the img file is a bin so you are good to go

img and bin files are no different except for when they have audio tracks that no Final Fantasy game does

if the patching software will only show bin files just put * as the file name and hit enter then it will show all files and let you pick the img file
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-June-2013 at 15:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

When i mount the cue and want to select something in that virtual drive with Xebra (or without Xebra), there is nothing. Its empty. No files to select...
    Last edited by vergil2012; 25th-June-2013 at 07:42.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

when you installed Daemon tools Lite did you install the optional SPDT drivers as well

If you did not this could be the cause of that issue and will prevent it from working

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

When i mount the cue and want to select something in that virtual drive with Xebra (or without Xebra), there is nothing. Its empty. No files to select...

Still the same. I downloaded the latest version of DT, but no luck.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

did you install the optional SPDT drivers as well?

SPDT drivers are required, it is an optional install so look out for it when you install D-Tools Lite

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

There are only some few options i can select (something like ''shortcut on the desktop'' etc.), but nothing what you mention. There are some grey fields i cant select, thats all.

It looks similar to this: http://img.toolsonweb.de/img/daemon-...-Install-1.png (not my picture)

For me its the same, the option to install the SPDT drivers are grey, but i guess its install it anyway, or?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I guess then no you have not installed it or it would of shown content on the drive once a disc is mounted

No idea why it would be grayed out

I guess you could try another virtual drive instead or D-Tools Lite

Nero Burning Rom comes with a virtual drive, Payed for software but you may already have this anyway

Alcohol 52% is a virtual drive http://download.cnet.com/Alcohol-52-...-10198084.html I am not sure if this is free or not, it may be trial software

Because I only use D-Tools now I don't even remember what other options are out there now

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]