Thread: If i were to buy a Japanese console will it work on american/canadian tv?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default If i were to buy a Japanese console will it work on american/canadian tv?

if i bought any console (ps/2/3, dreamcast,360,wii,cube,etc...)

will i be able to use it in canada? can the AC adaptor be replaced with the canadian counterpart?

i was thinking of grabbing a japanese PS2

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes it would display just fine

I don't know about the power but if the outlet power is the same as the US/Canada then yes that would work

Not sure why you would want a jap console though

If you have a modern TV set you can play any region you like, older sets I would recommend a rgb scart TV lead though not sure that was ever available outside europe, that's more for NTSC console on PAL TV (works both ways), but jap consoles are NTSC anyway
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-April-2013 at 23:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Like Zorlon said you should be fine.

I've had a Japanese psx console for years (scph-1000), even before I had a multi region tv
    My situation is much like Zorlon's though: I'm in PAL region.
    Voltage on the Japanese console should be 100v (I have to use a 220/240v converter).

Thanks
    EP Points

its mostly PS2 i want a japanese one of, there is a few games that cant be played by burning or freeloader (elemental Gelad is one of them) because they are CD based or just weird programming, i was curious of others for the future as i have seen a few on ebay go for cheap

on a side note, how would i get a japanese ps2 game to load on my PS2? (i have action replay [one that needs no memory card] but it refuses to do the deed)

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Swap Magic CD would work (look for a compat list and see if that game is listed)

Swap Magic comes as a CD and DVD, ESR is best for DVD's but CD's can't be booted with ESR so use Swap Magic CD for those

Never tried or even looked into it but you can boot an original DVD game and hot swap it with a copy of the same game with the Swap Magic elf file replacing a game elf file, so if you can find a CD game you own that can have that done to, that would work, if you have a CD game that has multi exec files used and the swap magic elf file is smaller than one of the execs and you either have a save that loads that exec or you have options on the start screen that loads different things (from different execs on disc)

The old Action Replay trick only works to a certain extent due to supper small toc lots of games failed with it, or it gets tricky doing a double swap, I forget the exacts as that's going back some years (the memcard dongle thing was always an issue as half the time the action Replay does not see it)

I'm not in the mood for it at the moment but it would be worth trying to convert CD to DVD, but not all games can be and there is more than one method of doing so

Had a look for you and the game you mention is on the Yes works list for Swap Magic CD
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/176791

Go buy yourself Swap Magic rather than a jap console.

If the game lags though then buy the game use Swap Magic to boot a burn of it and swap it over once booted as CD-R discs read slower than retail discs, I don't think Swap Magic can boot retail discs directly though as it will think you are after a toc refresh (at least the DVD swap magic does/did do that for large toc DVD-/+R games)

http://www.swapmagic3.com/superufopr...tent.asp?id=13 <- Official list of retailers
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2013 at 09:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

i will have to look into this further when i have time, thanks

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What do you want to know about Swap Magic?

You would have to be very lucky if you happen to have a CD game that has a elf/exec file that can used for the Swap Magic elf file

CD to DVD is an option but not every CD game will allow for a DVD media convert
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2013 at 20:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah Elemental gelad wont convert, it crashes

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    yeah Elemental gelad wont convert, it crashes
    What methods have you tried I may take a look myself at that

Or you can try other methods

Best to keep the file order with all converts

Patching files to DVD Media format can help and can stop a game from working so you need to try both I do know though that some game no amount of patching or not is going to help

EDIT

Hmm Saito said it was not working but that method involves patching from what I remember, so try a direct copy of the files without patching any of them

I may still look at it, though I don't have any real interest in it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2013 at 21:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]