Thread: Is there a difference between using an ISO file vs Bin/Cue to run a game?

Thanks

Default Is there a difference between using an ISO file vs Bin/Cue to run a game?

1) I have tried both single ISO files with no Bin or Cue file, and also Bin files accompanied with a Cue file but no ISO file, both work file (excuting from ISO or Bin file respectfully).

Is there a difference between these? It seems like they're the same thing except the Bin/Cue takes up two files in my games folder vs one for the ISO file.

2) I have yet to try it, but should it work the same or is there something I should do when I have an img file? It also came with a cdd, sdd, cue and a jpg file.

ePSXe and pcsx2

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by Jacobh7190; 20th-January-2013 at 22:32.

Thanks
    EP Points

Shortly, the only difference is the extension. They are both Image Files and some BIN/CUE files can't be converted to a single ISO. I always try to make ISOs of BIN/CUE files (one file is better than two). But some, as an example, PS1 games will not work with ePSXe after the conversation to *.iso, like "Langrisser IV (J)" or "The Mystic Dragoons (J)". They only seem to work with BIN/CUE, even if I use AutoPopstation with correct settings. But the most will work with ISO. With those two games I had problems, so I left them at BIN/CUE.

Some games might need the "MODE2/2352" info from the CUE or audio track infos (Langrisser IV has 2 audio tracks) from the CUE. But normally those infos are only useful in burning programs, so that they know how to burn it, in which mode.

Thanks
    EP Points

iso's is only really useful for unprotected, single track CD/DVD's. As soon as you add any sort of protection or multi-track/redbook audio to a cd/dvd iso's one would use Bin/Cue

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As far as PS1 emulation goes, nope. But I dont know about PS2 so listen to the other guys. If a game doesnt work on epsxe try psxfin. If you burn a game then youll need the cue file to do it.
    STOP THE MADDENESS, STOP BUYING SPORTS GAMES!

Thanks
    EP Points

ISO's are an archive container format capable of only holding a SINGLE TRACK and lacks the ability to contain sub channel and CDDA Tracks.

Bin / Img are Binary image's which include the entire content of the disk and the cue file typically includes required track notations to trigger cdda playback.

Don't convert because dataloss will occur with ISO in every case, its not even advisable to convert from Bin/Cue to IMG/CCD, data loss does occur.

For Playstation One games: NRG (single file nero format), MDF(MDS) (two file alcohol format), or CCD(IMG/SUB) are preferable over Bin/Cue/Sub or IMG/Cue/Sub

For Playstation 2 games its just ISO because that's all there is.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For PS2 you can have all the formats that the PS1 uses as well as iso because the PS2 has CD software as well as DVD software

Otherwise good info WorkNoFun

The main reason you never want to mess with PS1 images is because of the XA headers used for Video and sound files that become corrupt when converted with rubbish software like Magic ISO and it's many clones, that takes all the files off the disc image and rebuilds it that removes the header information for the individual XA and STR files and XA/STR containter files (container files can be just about any format)

PS1 disc images can be converted though without loss though (Same for any other image type), I would stick to bin+cue format for PSX, but use something like ISObuster for converting or mount the original disc image and re-rip with IMGburn from the Virtual drive (I use D-Tools Lite myself for a virtual drive, but use whatever you are used to as long as it works)

If you ever think that the original may have problems to start with then use CDMage to scan them, can also fix certain errors aswell , look in the guides stickies on how to Repair CD disc images
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-January-2013 at 11:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR