Thread: Silent Hill (J) [SLPM-86192] Loading Issues

Thanks

Default Silent Hill (J) [SLPM-86192] Loading Issues

Hey

I got interested in playing the old Silent Hill games again. SWIM came here acquired the title ROM and pSX 1.13 (I can't get ePSXe to work), and the necessary .bin file.

Now, I can get the English version of the game running just fine. However, upon downloading the Japanese version, its a different story.

Steps:
    Downloaded RAR
    Unzipped .cue and .7z
    Unzipped the .7z to get a .bin.ecm
    Put the .ecm through unecm.exe, was given a .bin the other side.
    Put that .bin in the same directory as .cue
    Load the .cue up in pSX
    I get the warning about violent imagery (in Japanese)
    I get the various company names coming up, as per normal

Suddenly this:

And it refuses to go any further.

What can be causing this? A bad scph1001.bin ? Bad ROM? Any ideas? I'm a bit new to emulators so it's probably something stupid that I've overlooked.

Thanks!

-Bottom

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds like a copy protection issue if you can find and patch the game with the appropriate patch it should work.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks

Damn, I was hoping not to see that. The only Japanese ROM for SH1 I can find is hosted at emuparadise, and I can't find any patchers. Seems like a dead end with this one, short of buying a Japanese PS1 unit and the original disk.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon_Bottom View Post
    Damn, I was hoping not to see that. The only Japanese ROM for SH1 I can find is hosted at emuparadise, and I can't find any patchers. Seems like a dead end with this one, short of buying a Japanese PS1 unit and the original disk.
    I have to go to work now but if someone else hasn't helped i'll try to find a patch for you later

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Or you could try the PAL BIOS (SCPH7502.bin). Sometimes it bypasses the copy-protection in pSXfin. There is also a high probablity that this method won't work on NTSC-J disks though.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As far as I know there is no anti copy protection patch for this game

It may work in ePSXe though if you are willing to try and get ePSXe running... it's realy not that hard

I can test it if needs be

There is something you can try that may seem a bit bizare for emulation, but try Import Player Lite from http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80512 boot Import Player (It has anti mod fixes, just enable what you think may help) then boot the game

EDIT: Import Player does not help

EDIT2: ePSXe does run it though

EDIT: Action Replay/GameShark bypass method

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. EDIT: found some anti mod patches, one includes Silent Hill Jap... I will test the sucker on my end

EDIT AGAIN:- It works but it's not compatible with 64bit OS, I used an OS emulator (Virtual PC) to run the patcher

Patch usage

It's a dos app so open up a command prompt window

XPS patchname filename

I renamed the bin file to something simple "SHILL.bin"

so the patching goes as...

XPS SHILL.XPS SHILL.bin

I may be able to make a PPF patch to replace this, I don't know yet it depends what the other patch has actually done

EDIT: I was able to make a ppf, if it is needed, I will upload it.

P.S. You have got me curious though, what is different about the jap release asides from jap text (the voice acting is still english )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-November-2012 at 21:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Zorlon

Thanks so much for the in-depth answer!

I'm on a 64-bit OS and I'm not hugely interested in working out how to get a VM down to convert one game.
    Would it work in ePSXe without any need to patch? I tried to get ePSXe working last night and had very little luck with it - every time I try to start it, it informs me that zlib1.dll is missing. So I went and found zlib1.dll online and saved it to system32 and rebooted, but it still says its missing. So I gave up with that. How do I use the cheat codes? And how would I use the .PPF? I'm bad at stuff I don't know about!

Many thanks for putting so much effort into helping. I'll hang around these forums a while longer!

-Bottom

Also, the reason I want to use the Jap release, is actually just for the subtitles. I started learning the language and I'm using games with english simultaneous english/japanese, and Silent Hill just happens to be one of my favourites! I need to find other games with Eng/Jap translations/subtitles that I can emulate. Suggestions?

Thanks
    EP Points

Copy the zlib1.dll to the root folder of ePSXe not to system32. That should do the trick

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SOLDIERSeeD For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not quite sure why I didn't think of that. Seems to be working now! Thanks!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ppf is playstation patch format

the patcher I will give you is for windows aswell and works just fine in 64bit systems

ppf o matic is the patcher, should be easy enough to figure out

I attached the ppf patch + patcher to this post

SOLDIERSeeD is correct the zlib1.dll file should be located in the same folder as ePSXe
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks Zorlon but I've managed to get ePSXe to work, and with it the Japanese ROM.
    Thanks for all your help!

Thanks
    EP Points

Glad you got it working man I just got home from work and thought I would check in to see if someone had helped you before I started searching for a patch I am happy to see Zorlon & SoldierSeed got you goin.

Have fun with your game.