Thread: Are CHD files important?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Are CHD files important?

I can play Street Fighter III Third Strike (sfiii3) on Final Burn Alpha without the CHD file, but I cannot play the same file on Mame without CHD (it says cap-33s-2 is missing).

If the game can be played without the CHD file, then the CHD file has no important data.

What is the problem of Mame? Why does it need the CHD file?

Thanks
    EP Points

CH Compressed CD/HD.

The original arcade use a CD/DVD/HD to store the game files. CHDs are dumps of the device/media compressed with 7zip.

Final Burn use the game files extracted from those devices/medias.

Other arcade emulators are compatible with Mame CHDs...

Thanks
    EP Points

The rom is 65.7 MB, but Mame cannot play it.
    If all data is in the rom and FBA can run it, why does Mame need cap-33s-2?

Thanks
    EP Points

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_III

CPS3 system use a arcade/mother board plus a CD-ROM. The board contain bios and de-encription chips (those are roms), the CD contain the game data.

Mame goal is: "perfect emulate" the Arcades hardware as they was, so they convert the CD to a CHD (a "perfect" dump of the CD). Use another emulator if you want speed, graphics filters, hack etc.

Finalburn "roms": A copy of CD files.
    Mame CH The CD!

MAME.TXT: in order to preserve the games and demonstrate that the emulated behavior matches the original, you must also be able to actually play the games. This is considered a nice side effect, and is not MAME's primary focus.

Thanks
    EP Points

I got the rom (65.7 MB) from a Mame rom list.
    I do not know if it is an FBA rom, but it is included in many Mame rom lists. Planetemu and Romhustler have this rom as a Mame rom.
    The full name is Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (Euro 990608) - sfiii3.zip

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zegame View Post
    I got the rom (65.7 MB) from a Mame rom list.
    I do not know if it is an FBA rom, but it is included in many Mame rom lists. Planetemu and Romhustler have this rom as a Mame rom.
    The full name is Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (Euro 990608) - sfiii3.zip
    I think what WitchHunter was getting at is that, with some games (Including the one you're playing, Street Fighter 3), the .CHD file in fact doesn't contain any information you need to play the game. However, since MAME is meant to have "perfect emulation", it still wants you to use the .CHD file for parts of the emulation you may not actually see through gameplay.

Now, this isn't to say that the .CHD files are "absolutely not necessary" for all games; for some games (including Killer Instinct and Area 51 IIRC) you will still need the .CHD file regardless of what emulator you use.

Does this help?
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"