Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Eternity

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Project: Eternity

Hey guys, here's something that some of you may already have heard about, but I wanted to post about it here.

Obsidian Entertainment is planning on making a game that pays homage to the old Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape, Icewind Dale, and so on), putting it in its own world and setting, but in the style of the old isometric RPGs.

How do they plan on doing this? A kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...oject-eternity

Despite a lack of concept art and gameplay presentation, I must admit I'm fairly enthusiastic about this project. Going by the speed at which the kickstart was funded, I'm not alone in this. The fact that they've got some of the leading developers of most of these old games on the team helps a lot with this, it must be said.

I'm not busily promoting the project here, despite how it sounds. I just wanted to see what the opinions of EP would be about this project.

Personally, I probably will donate to the kickstart to get some of the bonuses and keep a close eye on things, given the sheer amount of time I've put into Baldur's Gate II alone.

Thanks
    EP Points

It was discussed briefly in the General Gaming thread a while ago, but I do think it deserves its own thread. In any case, I have high hopes for this, mostly because of the amazing lineup of talent that is involved with the project. I mean, it basically sounds like the dream RPG based on that, so I really hope they do it right and put out a game deserving to be the spiritual successor to Torment, BG, IWD and so on.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sonico View Post
    It was discussed briefly in the General Gaming thread a while ago, but I do think it deserves its own thread. In any case, I have high hopes for this, mostly because of the amazing lineup of talent that is involved with the project. I mean, it basically sounds like the dream RPG based on that, so I really hope they do it right and put out a game deserving to be the spiritual successor to Torment, BG, IWD and so on.
    Yeah, it was pretty much the team behind it that sold it to me. I'm definitely interested, also based on what they said: The polish of Baldur's Gate, fun dungeon-delving of Icewind Dale, and deep storytelling of Planescape.

The combination of factors and people behind it make me happy.

And hey, $40000 more and we'll have player housing in the game

Thanks

At least they did a good thing by making it $25 for the digital version of the game. Even if they are making another Iceland Dale-esque game, it is nice to know they don't plan on charging a lot for the experience. Makes me slightly worried how long the game will be, but overall it sounds good. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <----Me podcast about Tabletop RPGs

Thanks
    EP Points

certainly looks interesting. saw a bunch of great titles referenced in the video there that i've played before (baldur's gate, ToEE, SW:KoTR 2 this and the first game being pretty much the only 2 star wars games i ever liked much). guess now all thats left is to wait and see where this goes from here, they've already reached about 2x the goal so far

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    So press the 'thanks' button.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

But yeah, I do agree with the rest of your post. Back the project, get a relatively cheap digital copy. For me it's even more lucrative because the Euro is currently worth more than the dollar, and once this project goes live, I'd pay in euros. Which WILL be more expensive.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    Yeah, it was pretty much the team behind it that sold it to me. I'm definitely interested, also based on what they said: The polish of Baldur's Gate, fun dungeon-delving of Icewind Dale, and deep storytelling of Planescape.

The combination of factors and people behind it make me happy.

And hey, $40000 more and we'll have player housing in the game
    The initial stretch goals were actually somewhat meh, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

I just find it odd that the 2 mil goal is player housing (kinda useless in my eyes) and only the 2.2 mil goal is concerned with adding new regions and factions. You would think that more areas to explore and new factions to interact with is far more crucial than being able to own a fancy castle.

Back in my BG1 days I stored all of my magical loot and epic weapons in a random barrel in Beregost, there was no need to own a house.

I'm convinced it's gonna reach 2.2 mil, though, so it's hardly an issue.
    Last edited by Gare; 25th-September-2012 at 14:22.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A thread about a specific game, it's destined to die.

I imagine this will reach any stretch goal they add.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

The initial stretch goals were actually somewhat meh, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

I just find it odd that the 2 mil goal is player housing (kinda useless in my eyes) and only the 2.2 mil goal is concerned with adding new regions and factions. You would think that more areas to explore and new factions to interact with is far more crucial than being able to own a fancy castle.

Back in my BG1 days I stored all of my magical loot and epic weapons in a random barrel in Beregost, there was no need to own a house.

I'm convinced it's gonna reach 2.2 mil, though, so it's hardly an issue.
    I'm inclined to disagree - I love the idea of having a 'home base' to work from. Yes, in Baldur's Gate (both of 'em) you could basically just stuff everything into a single barrel and have done with it, but I'm really fond of the concept of a player house or home base. In Baldur's Gate II it was brilliant to own my very own Planar Sphere.

(Including potion-making apprentice. Slave away my lackey!)

Quote Originally Posted by Deegmeester Daan View Post
    A thread about a specific game, it's destined to die.

I imagine this will reach any stretch goal they add.
    Now now, be nice.

And yes, yes it will.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm inclined to disagree - I love the idea of having a 'home base' to work from. Yes, in Baldur's Gate (both of 'em) you could basically just stuff everything into a single barrel and have done with it, but I'm really fond of the concept of a player house or home base. In Baldur's Gate II it was brilliant to own my very own Planar Sphere.

(Including potion-making apprentice. Slave away my lackey!)

Now now, be nice.

And yes, yes it will.
    It wasn't meant to be mean, it's just that generic threads (favorite x, best x, worst x, etc.) get more attention .

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, I see. Well, I suppose it's really just a matter of perspective. I'm quite the opposite, I like the idea of the main party being travelers in every sense of the word, without a permanent home to call their own.

(Settling down after the adventure is done is totally cool in my book, though! )

Thanks
    EP Points

ahh my good old playhouse, you BG2. I would love to see a new game like this, guess it'll take awhile to make though.

Just as interested in a new Larry game too. Well a remake, but still excited.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rry-come-again
    Last edited by Zaladane; 25th-September-2012 at 21:44.

Thanks
    EP Points

It wasn't meant to be mean, it's just that generic threads (favorite x, best x, worst x, etc.) get more attention .
    Fair, but I'm pretty stoked for this project, so stuff the nay-sayers. I'll bloody well discuss it with myself if I must!

Which would be silly. Please don't go?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah, I see. Well, I suppose it's really just a matter of perspective. I'm quite the opposite, I like the idea of the main party being travelers in every sense of the word, without a permanent home to call their own.
    (Settling down after the adventure is done is totally cool in my book, though! )
    I think it depends on the scope of the adventure. A city adventure needs a base, be it an inn, a secret underground complex, or a tent.
    Fair, but I'm pretty stoked for this project, so stuff the nay-sayers. I'll bloody well discuss it with myself if I must!
    Which would be silly. Please don't go?
    I'm hoping for pre-rendered backgrounds, they look good and they cut down on system requirements.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think it depends on the scope of the adventure. A city adventure needs a base, be it an inn, a secret underground complex, or a tent.

I'm hoping for pre-rendered backgrounds, they look good and they cut down on system requirements.
    One can certainly hope. Baldur's Gate II, for one, still looks great even today. Dated, sure, but it's aged fairly well in my opinion.