Thread: Help With Death Smiles / Mushihime / Ikaruga

Thanks

Default Help With Death Smiles / Mushihime / Ikaruga

Hi folks,

I am having some problems running the above games.

I am using MAME 0.147.

I have downloaded both ROM and CHD file for Ikaruga from emuparadise. When I try to run it within MAME and get a message saying the game is missing one or more of the required ROM or CHD files. I added the CHD file to the Ikaruga zip and nothing happened.

I have downloaded all the Mushihime ROM files and none of them show up on the list in MAME. Same with Death Smiles - I downloaded the ROM but it doesn't show up in MAME.

Any ideas?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MAMEui32 or MAMEui64 should tell you what files are missing or are incorrect for that version of mame

the ui version of MAME is just a gui based version asides from the gui it is exactly the same as MAME

EDIT nevermind MAMEui seems to have stopped development

http://www.mameui.info/ still has a gui front end though, but as I have not used it I don't know if it audits the roms or not

EDIT AGAIN looks like they have MAMEui64 version 0.147 though anyway, so give that a shot and check your roms with it, think it is audit, the option that checks the roms. it has been a while since I used it to be honest
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-September-2012 at 12:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on that program. I downloaded it and got it running.

When I try to run Ikaruga I get the following message:

Name:  ikaruga.JPG
Views: 6702
Size:  32.7 KB

Death Smiles and Mushihime don't even show up on the list...

Thanks
    EP Points

Definitely a problem with the CHD's. I heard recently that there had been some changes into the CHD's like their versions have been changed or something.

The password for my upload's is "caidsncer". If you love my uploads,then hit the "THANX" button.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

usually for CHD changes (the bin file is also missing as stated)

anyway usually there are tools that come with MAME for updating CHD files to work with the latest version of MAME (it uses the same files just updates the CHD compression)

It used to be called chdman, though they may have changed the name nowerdays

It is also possible that it was redumped aswell but can't see it that way this time

EDIT: it is still called chdman

Run it via a dos prompt/command prompt

Usage:
    chdman info: displays information about a CHD
    chdman verify: verifies a CHD's integrity
    chdman createraw: create a raw CHD from the input file
    chdman createhd: create a hard disk CHD from the input file
    chdman createcd: create a CD CHD from the input file
    chdman createld: create a laserdisc CHD from the input file
    chdman extractraw: extract raw file from a CHD input file
    chdman extracthd: extract raw hard disk file from a CHD input file
    chdman extractcd: extract CD file from a CHD input file
    chdman extractld: extract laserdisc AVI from a CHD input file
    chdman copy: copy data from one CHD to another of the same type
    chdman addmeta: add metadata to the CHD
    chdman delmeta: remove metadata from the CHD
    chdman dumpmeta: dump metadata from the CHD to stdout or to a file

I don't remember exactly how to do this as it has been some years

but using
    chdman extracthd gdl-0010.chd
    then using chdman createhd (whatever the extracted chd comes out as)
    should make an up to date chd file

P.S. the chd may be a CD image I do not know myself, I don't know if "chdman info" will tell you or not
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-September-2012 at 15:33.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Download "MIE.ZIP" for "315-6146.bin"

Most of CD images are bad dumps. You can try to convert your old CHD to V5 using:
    chdman copy -i gdl-0010.chd -o new.chd

Then verify the CHD with:
    chdman verify -i new.chd

Compare the SHA1 of the two CH
    chdman info -i gdl-0010.chd
    chdman info -i new.chd

If SHA1 match delete gdl-0010.chd and rename new.chd to gdl-0010.chd.

Anyway CDs always fail the conversion, so don't waste your time and google for: "gdl-0010.chd cdae4618adfd8eab5a06fbb491ce18a0286e3cae". Or "gdl-0010.chd v5"

Also the driver info says:
    status="preliminary" emulation="preliminary" color="good" sound="imperfect" graphic="imperfect"

So the game won't work or is real slow/messed up...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

NAOMI games there are a few other emulators for those and they run well enough, the problem with MAME they go for the most accurate emulation not the best playability, but other emulators use all sorts of tricks to get the best playability out of a game

http://nonmame.retrogames.com/
    http://unmamed.mameworld.info/

both good sites for none mame emulation of arcade systems

The other 2 games should be working though Death Smiles Mushihime, you can check what roms you need with MAMEui or with clrmame

clrmame will check all your roms though even missnamed ones and look for all the files for that game
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-September-2012 at 09:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

MAME isn't anywhere near accurate when it comes to NAOMI/Atomiswave - driver is in early WIP stage. Demul is the best choice if you got a powerful PC, and if you got a weaker system or want to play NAOMI games in linux / OS X in wine then NAOMI versions of NullDC 1.0.3 or Makaron will be the best choice (Makaron requires xinput gamepad emulator aka xinput-> dinput wrapper to get inputs working in wine).

For Deathsmiles and other Cave SH3 (CV1000x) hardware games - driver was pulled out of main MAME by request from Cave but it's nothing hard to google cavesh3 mame windows build or diff that adds support for these games if you want to build MAME from sources, for example driver diff can be found here : http://www.arcadeitalia.net/viewtopi...t=9580#p105180, and windows mame build can be found with "cave sh3 mame build" in Google.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFlash View Post
    MAME isn't anywhere near accurate when it comes to NAOMI/Atomiswave - driver is in early WIP stage. Demul is the best choice if you got a powerful PC, and if you got a weaker system or want to play NAOMI games in linux / OS X in wine then NAOMI versions of NullDC 1.0.3 or Makaron will be the best choice (Makaron requires xinput gamepad emulator aka xinput-> dinput wrapper to get inputs working in wine).

For Deathsmiles and other Cave SH3 (CV1000x) hardware games - driver was pulled out of main MAME by request from Cave but it's nothing hard to google cavesh3 mame windows build or diff that adds support for these games if you want to build MAME from sources, for example driver diff can be found here : http://www.arcadeitalia.net/viewtopi...t=9580#p105180, and windows mame build can be found with "cave sh3 mame build" in Google.
    poor choice of words MAME is aimed at being accurate and other emulators are not as accurate but use short cuts and other methods of getting the games to work, because there is no accurate way yet

accurate and best playability for x game are two different things entirely

you either just didn't read me post fully or don't understand it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Well MAME is aimed at accuracy but accurate emulation means less speed with greater compatibility. But MAME is multi-system emulator which means it's several emulators (drivers) glued together with some kind of framework and accuracy and compatibility are different for different systems - some drivers are near cycle-accurate, some less accurate, some broken as hell, some don't do much except CPU emulation yet. NAOMI driver is far from being complete and accurate - it's not slow to the point when it becomes unplayable, it just doesn't boot most stuff at all. Even if some parts of that driver are accurate, emulation of NAOMI isn't at this point.
    And while CPS2 emulation in MAME isn't cycle-accurate, it's absolutely accurate from software point of view - all games look and play exactly the same as real hardware on same display and only one broken game is bad dump.

There's NO accurate NAOMI/Atomiswave/Dreamcast emulator at the moment (there's no full PowerVR2 emulation yet, for example), but at this point Demul is much more accurate than MAME when it comes to DC-based hardware. NullDC and Makaron are less accurate (NullDC uses TONS of hacks and source code is a real mess) but at least playable.
    Last edited by ShadowFlash; 28th-September-2012 at 11:42.