Thread: Bioware Co-Founders Retire!

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Bioware Co-Founders Retire!

So, the two Dr.s who have been responsible for arguably some of the best RPGs of the last two decades (Mass 3, DA2 non-withstanding imo), have exited the game industry. They apparently gave EA 6 months notice to make a smooth exit. Read the story here.

I've always felt the death knell to Bioware was when EA bought them out right around the time of Mass Effect 2, and was the beginning of the end. Well, now it's over. Anyone can plainly see that their games, starting with Mass 2, were heading in a completely different direction. Dragon Age 2 and Mass 3 were action games with very little RPG truly left in them. I'm willing to bet this is more EA's fault than anything else.

Here's a list of some of their greats:
    Baldur's Gate
    Baldur's Gate 2
    MDK2
    Neverwinter Nights
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
    Jade Empire
    Mass Effect
    Dragon Age Origins

I'll miss you my friend.... had some great times!

Thanks

Meh? Trolling I know, but the list of highlights were more good for their time with a few exceptions. I've played Baldur's Gate 1+2 and their expansions and it didn't impress me. The UI wasn't great and spellcasters were a pain to play in real time, negating the cool factors of a real-time engine. If they fix that, it would be close to a favorite of mine. Neverwinter Nights was....something that resembled that world but wasn't even close to playable with the direction they were going for. Knights of the Old Republic was the only game I saw that is still good today. It's too bad they released a beyond buggy game for PC, because that is what Bioware was for me as they progressed as a company. Too many glitches+bugs to buy their potentially awesome work.

Don't forget Bioshock of course, but I don't care for that game either.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <----Me podcast about Tabletop RPGs

Thanks
    EP Points

They didn't make Bioshock.

Just because their games were "good for their time", doesn't mean they're any less influential, or even still considered great games today. Just because YOU don't like Baldur's Gate doesn't mean there aren't a million other people out there who still adore that game.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFave View Post
    They didn't make Bioshock.

Just because their games were "good for their time", doesn't mean they're any less influential, or even still considered great games today. Just because YOU don't like Baldur's Gate doesn't mean there aren't a million other people out there who still adore that game.
    Wait, what? You mean to tell me my opinion isn't what everyone else thinks? You must be upset to even include that in your response since that is a no S. Irregardless of my error for BioShock, which is truly a 'my bad' moment, big whoop on their catalog. I'll stop responding so you can mourn/cut yourself in peace.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <----Me podcast about Tabletop RPGs

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    Wait, what? You mean to tell me my opinion isn't what everyone else thinks? You must be upset to even include that in your response since that is a no S. Irregardless of my error for BioShock, which is truly a 'my bad' moment, big whoop on their catalog. I'll stop responding so you can mourn/cut yourself in peace.
    3/10, good try but your technique is weak.

And we really should have seen this coming. Remember Bullfrog and Origin, anyone? Valve was smart, they outright said no when EA tried buying them out recently, they knew what would happen.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    3/10, good try but your technique is weak.

And we really should have seen this coming. Remember Bullfrog and Origin, anyone? Valve was smart, they outright said no when EA tried buying them out recently, they knew what would happen.
    You could also compare this to Rare, when Microsoft bought them out. The two founders, the Stampers, both retired shortly after and now Rare is just a shell of a company.

And to Mr. Nemo, your post didn't upset me, it was just stupid. You can have some negative rep for that since you seem to want it in your sig.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFave View Post
    You could also compare this to Rare, when Microsoft bought them out. The two founders, the Stampers, both retired shortly after and now Rare is just a shell of a company.

And to Mr. Nemo, your post didn't upset me, it was just stupid. You can have some negative rep for that since you seem to want it in your sig.
    Take it easy guys.
    People are entitled to opinions, but there's no need to insult each other.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh sit down. I tend to overreact on occasion, but get off the soapbox before you fall off and break something.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Take it easy guys.
    People are entitled to opinions, but there's no need to insult each other.
    Nonsense, this is the internet.

OT: Bound to happen given the direction the company is moving in, seems to be a common trend when 3rd party devs get bought up by 1st parties and publishers. That being said, I'm still holding on to some small, fleeting thread for DA III.